₥21,172
Before:

372457d9ce2ac7e2.jpg

372457d9ce2aac8c.jpg

After:

372459c487383d5a.jpg

372459c487387bd5.jpg

372459c487385c97.jpg

Tomorrow. I replace sill and toe plater on the wall that is completely stripped. Have to jack up the entire structure. Next comes tearing down the ceiling (always fun) and up the subfloor. Then hot mopping it with asphalt and covering with tar paper, add furring strips. Attach new subfloor. Install new drywall. Im not replacing the kitchen though cause... I dont really need it.

There is also another whole section the same size as this that needs to be stripped, but it is full of "stuff". Remember kids, smoke damage is not fun.

Total cost to date $34.58 in building supplies, $20 in dump stickers (removed 1 ton of drwall and misc cabinetry).

Why are you doing this?
Ok, Im going to explain this to you once.

You notice the before picture? Do you see the black soot on the walls. It's smoke damage from a fire.

Winter before last my little brother forgot to light this heater that was over there because the power went out. Why the power went out? No one knows. I had to dig a trench and pull a cable for this 2 years ago, and the power was only turne dback on last month. The building was electrically heated, so all this time the pipes were kept from freezing and bursting (this actually really happens, contrary to what other souterners believe) by a kerosene heater.

Now year before last my little brother forgot to light the heater and the pipes burst. This destroyed the floor. Completely. A short while later he left it running for 3 days straight, which burned the wick and smoked the entire building, 800~ sq ft. I was out of the country for both these incidents, because goddamn if I were here I wouldve killed him. This building was where I was living (it's down the street a ways from my parent's house), so all my possesions were destroyed fire/water. My parents refused to make a claim on their insurance because it was "just my stuff", not theirs. They formerly rented this place out btw. Now they kept saying they are going to fix it blah blah blah, not happening, these people will not spend money on anything. They said that if I fixed it, they were going to rent it out anyway. Obviously there is much bad blood here.

My living situation has recently become untenable, i.e. I cant bring girls home and I have no privacy. Renting is not cheap, and I cant swing a mortgage. They have essentially abandonded this property so recently I changed the locks and started gutting it. They are not happy but they arent doing anything since I have been paying the electricity/sewer tax for the last three years. So essentially... Im taking adverse possesion (squatting) until I finsh college.

Ok, Im going to explain this to you once.

You notice the before picture? Do you see the black soot on the walls. It's smoke damage from a fire.

Winter before last my little brother forgot to light this heater that was over there because the power went out. Why the power went out? No one knows. I had to dig a trench and pull a cable for this 2 years ago, and the power was only turne dback on last month. The building was electrically heated, so all this time the pipes were kept from freezing and bursting (this actually really happens, contrary to what other souterners believe) by a kerosene heater.

Now year before last my little brother forgot to light the heater and the pipes burst. This destroyed the floor. Completely. A short while later he left it running for 3 days straight, which burned the wick and smoked the entire building, 800~ sq ft. I was out of the country for both these incidents, because goddamn if I were here I wouldve killed him. This building was where I was living (it's down the street a ways from my parent's house), so all my possesions were destroyed fire/water. My parents refused to make a claim on their insurance because it was "just my stuff", not theirs. They formerly rented this place out btw. Now they kept saying they are going to fix it blah blah blah, not happening, these people will not spend money on anything. They said that if I fixed it, they were going to rent it out anyway. Obviously there is much bad blood here.

My living situation has recently become untenable, i.e. I cant bring girls home and I have no privacy. Renting is not cheap, and I cant swing a mortgage. They have essentially abandonded this property so recently I changed the locks and started gutting it. They are not happy but they arent doing anything since I have been paying the electricity/sewer tax for the last three years. So essentially... Im taking adverse possesion (squatting) until I finsh college.

Ok, [Avoid using "okay" or "ok" in academic writing.] Im going to explain this to you [Word choice. "You" and "your" are second person pronouns that mean general humanity. In academic writing, replace second person (you and your) with a third person pronoun (he, she, it, one, and they) for more specific writing.] once.

You [Eliminate second person "you" and "your" in academic writing.] notice the before picture? Do you see the black soot on the walls. It's [Eliminate contractions (isn’t for is not) in academic writing.] smoke damage from a fire.

Winter before last my little brother forgot to light this heater that was over there because the power went out. Why the power went out? No one knows. I had to dig a trench and pull a cable for this 2 years ago, and the power was only turne dback on last month. The building was electrically heated, so all this time the pipes were kept from freezing and bursting (this actually ["actually" is a weak word whose literal meaning is nothing more than "in point of fact." Usually it can be deleted with no change in meaning] really ["really" is a weak word meaning "not imaginary." Use "truly" or another, clearer word] happens, contrary to what other souterners believe) by a kerosene heater.

Now year before last my little brother forgot to light the heater and the pipes burst. This destroyed the floor. Completely. A short while later he left it running for 3 days straight, which burned the wick and smoked the entire building, 800~ sq ft. I was out of the country for both these incidents, because goddamn if I were here I wouldve killed him. This building was where I was living (it's [Eliminate contractions (isn’t for is not) in academic writing.] down the street a ways from my parent's house), so all my possesions were destroyed fire/water. My parents refused to make a claim on their insurance because it was "just my stuff", not theirs. They formerly rented this place out btw. Now they kept saying they are going to fix it blah blah blah, not happening, these people will not spend money on anything. They said that if I fixed it, they were going to rent it out anyway. Obviously there is much bad blood here.

turne dback = typo, uh huh... sure
souterners = southerners
wouldve = would've or if you want to be technical, the correct writing format would be would have
possesions = possessions
abandonded = abandoned
Im = I'm or I am
possesion = for the second time, it's possession
finsh - finish? Finnish? What do you call a fish without eyes? fsh

Okay I'm done, I just wanted to be a bitch.

turne dback = typo, uh huh... sure
souterners = southerners
wouldve = would've or if you want to be technical, the correct writing format would be would have
possesions = possessions
abandonded = abandoned
Im = I'm or I am
possesion = for the second time, it's possession
finsh - finish? Finnish? What do you call a fish without eyes? fsh

Okay I'm done, I just wanted to be a bitch.

Oh, I see how it is. I try to be nice and explain stuff clearly for you. Well no more! From now on Ill just submit you to glib diatribes on the nature of your character and femininity.

Edit: "Actually really" was an appeal to the colloquisms of your native tongue.

Last edited:
Oh, I see how it is. I try to be nice and explain stuff clearly for you. Well no more! From now on Ill just submit you to glib diatribes on the nature of your character and femininity.

Edit: "Actually really" was an appeal to the colloquisms of your native tongue.

:elfpenis:

I certainly hoped a sawzall was involved.

Also, smack you brother over the head for me when you see him.

And go steal your parents shit and sell it.

There is a sawzall, milwaukee circa 1989, on the sawhorse in one of the pictures. I find I get a bit too carried away using it and cut through important things like drains, vent stacks, wiring... A mattock and 24" crowbar are the tools of choice. ^.^

If werent so tired I'd smack him everyday.

There is something rather amusing and cool about you squatting in an abandoned house.

Tell me that plastic sheeting is just until the drywall goes up and not a perminent feature.

What kind of flooring are you putting down? Tile? Wood?

There is something rather amusing and cool about you squatting in an abandoned house.

Tell me that plastic sheeting is just until the drywall goes up and not a perminent feature.

What kind of flooring are you putting down? Tile? Wood?
Plastic sheeting is a vapor barrier that was up when I tore down the wall. It didnt do a very good job though (improperly installed), insulation was damp. I actually completed 200 hours toward becoming a plasterer in HS so... drywall, totally. It's cheap and I have the tools.

Oak floor (there is a mill around here that sells seconds for 99cents sq ft). Thought about vinyl tiles (the industrial ones) but they mess with my allergies too much. I hate carpet and ceramic tile is a bitch ass to install. There is a full bath as well that needs to be redone so Ill have plenty of fun with tiles later...

Who framed the wall in the second window. Wow did they suck.

Wasnt me. It's not half as pretty as the 24" OC 2x4 partition they put up though blah.