Thread Cool Things The Pope says

it's not hostile. It's that regardless of what some guy says and types in an old book I don't have to believe it.

If someone thinks that's me going 'neener neener neener' to my religion, I can promise you I won't lose sleep over it. I'll be having sex outside of marriage tonight too. And probably too much to drink. As far as taking the Lord's name in vain, in my book, "Dear God!" and "Jesus!" are the beginning of prayers. just putting that out there.

it's not hostile. It's that regardless of what some guy says and types in an old book I don't have to believe it.

If someone thinks that's me going 'neener neener neener' to my religion, I can promise you I won't lose sleep over it. I'll be having sex outside of marriage tonight too. And probably too much to drink. As far as taking the Lord's name in vain, in my book, "Dear God!" and "Jesus!" are the beginning of prayers. just putting that out there.

what do you get out of your religion?

All I did was say to my wife, "That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah!"

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
what do you get out of your religion?
a little comfort in knowing that constantly trying to do better for me and everyone else is good because there's so many people around trying too. I think without it, it would be too easy to say 'fuck it. this is about me and anyone not in my circle can fuck off.' Weekly 'church' is a great reminder that we're all trying, with a little blessing succeeding more than failing, and learning to do it better as we go.

idk.

/my.02

• Gravy
Reactions: Petunia
most people at church arent trying. If they were, church would be a volunteer session to help people, not a repeat-rote-phrases-after-me session.

• Gravy
Reactions: gee and APRIL
first, people volunteer to go to church. kids, maybe not, but anyone 18 and older volunteers to go. the majority of them volunteer some $. The rest, so what.

Second, outside of the Mass, there's a ton of volunteering going on. It doesn't provide for good gossip and namecalling so it doesn't come up that much.

• Gravy
Reactions: Petunia
a little comfort in knowing that constantly trying to do better for me and everyone else is good because there's so many people around trying too. I think without it, it would be too easy to say 'fuck it. this is about me and anyone not in my circle can fuck off.' Weekly 'church' is a great reminder that we're all trying, with a little blessing succeeding more than failing, and learning to do it better as we go.

idk.

/my.02
that sounds reasonable

Are you a Catholic?

most people at church arent trying. If they were, church would be a volunteer session to help people, not a repeat-rote-phrases-after-me session.
You are thinking of mass.

I used to volunteer at church (long time ago), washed dishes from the seniors discount lunches, also collected food for the food pantry etc.

Just remembered, since it's halloween: the BEST place to go trick or treating was at the convent because the nuns would all be dressed up and they gave out full sized candy bars.

I still help out at a church every once in a while. Even though I despise what they're all about. I've helped when they were handing out shoes to kids who were in families that couldn't afford to buy them new shoes. I help out with a few other services that they provide for the community. Feeding the homeless, that sort of thing.

I love helping out the community. I just do it because it's the right thing to do, not because I feel like God will accept me anymore. It's funny to watch the faces of the people when they ask how long I've been attending the church, and I tell them I've never attended. When they ask me why, I tell them because I'm atheist. That just blows their mind.