Cooks, do you use recipes?

Man, if I thought I could take standing up and walking around for 8-10 hrs straight .. I would so go to culinary school in a heart beat. But I don't think my knees could take it :(.

Wear Crocs or those shoes nurses wear.

LOL, DZ you are trying to fight it but at one point you learned how to cook with recipe's or someone taught you through recipe's they learned. The knowledge wasnt just magically plucked from the air.

So you just came straight out the box knowing exactly what goes in everything then?

Doesn't help .. my knees are gone. I'm old before my time :lol:

Through trial and experimentation, and seeing what restaurant food combinations work, yes.

And shows like Good Eats are a godsend because they tell you WHY certain foods go together. I never make anything Alton makes, but I use his techniques and the properties of the different foods to concoct my own food item.

LOL, DZ you are trying to fight it but at one point you learned how to cook with recipe's or someone taught you through recipe's they learned. The knowledge wasnt just magically plucked from the air.

I never used a recipe before. Every time I tried I failed. So I just payed attention to what combinations worked and techniques for mixing them together and made my own version.

The people I observed might have used a recipe themselves, but I used those people (and therefore their recipes) as reference, not blueprints.

Someone had to pluck the recipe out of thin air.

People come up with new recipes everyday. I'm pretty sure from the time man learned how to not eat raw meat/veggies .. they've had recipes (so the next person would know how to cook it)

Anytime you make something you follow a recipe .. regardless of if it is written or implied. You take a list of things and put them together in a certain manner, with certain measurements.

Ok, let's see ... I want to make a chocolate cake. I know I need flour, sugar, coco, oil, butter, eggs ... ok I need this much of the flour, this many eggs, ect. Now I know I need to whip this/stir this, then bake it for xxx amount of minutes @ xxx amount of temp. ... Do you see what I am saying?

It doesn't matter if it's written down on a piece of paper, or if it's in your head, or you talk to yourself while doing it .. it is still a recipe.

Last edited: