Advice CDC issues flu vaccine apology: this year's vaccine doesn't work!

p2uLi6f.jpg

if I were king and had unilateral power backed by military force one of my first courses of action would be to jail people that have drawn others into the anti-vax derpiverse

if I were king and had unilateral power backed by military force one of my first courses of action would be to jail people that have drawn others into the anti-vax derpiverse

Their children will one day grow up and overthrow what your lineage has become.

The Morlocks.

I've had the flu a bunch of times. I'm not a candidate for the flu shot so I've never gotten it. I don't think it causes the flu. That's like saying the polio vaccine causes polio. Also 51 ppm of mercury is like saying a drop in a swimming pool is gonna kill you. I'd be more worried about the chlorine in that swimming pool, but we don't worry about that and chlorine is deadly. People are dumb. Media is sensationalist.

• Gravy
Reactions: august and Peppers
I wouldn't exactly say its isolated...

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/usmap.htm
It could still be isolated, since the CDC definition of "widespread" is something like "cases found in counties that make up 50% or higher of a state's population. So, NYC may have a lot of cases, which makes sense due to population density, but that doesn't mean that it's widespread all over NY state.

• Gravy
Reactions: august
It could still be isolated, since the CDC definition of "widespread" is something like "cases found in counties that make up 50% or higher of a state's population. So, NYC may have a lot of cases, which makes sense due to population density, but that doesn't mean that it's widespread all over NY state.
That doesn't explain Montana tho. :lol:

I wouldn't exactly say its isolated...

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/usmap.htm
Isn't that map for all flu strains in general? edit: I'm implying that maybe more people getting the flu are ones who didn't vaccinate and rely on the anti-viral to make them better (even though our doctor advises against it unless you are a higher risk)

Just a thought... of course I don't bother looking at this usually so not a big deal to me. We get the shot simply because and don't really pay attention to what others do.

Isn't that map for all flu strains in general? edit: I'm implying that maybe more people getting the flu are ones who didn't vaccinate and rely on the anti-viral to make them better (even though our doctor advises against it unless you are a higher risk)

Just a thought... of course I don't bother looking at this usually so not a big deal to me. We get the shot simply because and don't really pay attention to what others do.
As @Mrs. Valve said, I'm pretty sure the H3N2 strain is the most prevalent. So that should be the majority of cases.

Low population density means there are fewer places to shop. Infect a whole grocery store worth of workers and you got an entire county.
Low population density makes it hard for viruses to hop, especially when you consider the size of the state and how spread out various cities are. My point is that it seems likely that it's pretty widespread and the CDC agrees. Do you not?

Low population density makes it hard for viruses to hop, especially when you consider the size of the state and how spread out various cities are. My point is that it seems likely that it's pretty widespread and the CDC agrees. Do you not?
I am not saying that it makes it easier to hop, but considering how few population centers there are in low density areas, if you infect one place where serious human interaction occurs you are going to get the majority of the people in that area.

As @Mrs. Valve said, I'm pretty sure the H3N2 strain is the most prevalent. So that should be the majority of cases.
There's a more interactive flu map to show which strains are prevalent by region/state/etc. The majority of cases are from the H3N2 strain, which is the one that the vaccine does not account for. However, that doesn't mean you can't get treated for it and use that antiviral to protect your family from it in your own house before they get slogged with the same symptoms.

I am not saying that it makes it easier to hop, but considering how few population centers there are in low density areas, if you infect one place where serious human interaction occurs you are going to get the majority of the people in that area.
Yeah, that's called widespread dummy.

There's a more interactive flu map to show which strains are prevalent by region/state/etc. The majority of cases are from the H3N2 strain, which is the one that the vaccine does not account for. However, that doesn't mean you can't get treated for it and use that antiviral to protect your family from it in your own house before they get slogged with the same symptoms.
The Tamiflu folks are laughing all the way to the bank.