Halp Catholic beavers, I have a question that needs some clarification

Another question I had, and nothing to do with the above stories, was how did the concept of a pope or bishop start? They are not in the Bible that I know of. They didn't have popes prior to Jesus' time;

John 21: 15-22

15When they had(T) finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, (U) "Simon,(V) son of John,(W) do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Feed(X) my lambs." 16He said to him a second time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, (Y) "Tend(Z) my sheep." 17He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" Peter was grieved because he said to him(AA) the third time, "Do you love me?" and he said to him, "Lord,(AB) you know everything; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Feed(AC) my sheep. 18(AD)

Peter was the first Pope

Regarding the name of the title:

Today, Pontifex Maximus is one of the titles of the Bishop of Rome as Roman Catholic Pope. As a papal title, the translation Supreme Pontiff is customary when writing in English, in which the Latin term Pontifex Maximus refers to the former pagan Roman post. But Latin is still the official Vatican language, and the Latin form Pontifex Maximus is still used in reference to the Pope when writing or speaking in that language.
In the Roman Republic, the Pontifex Maximus was the highest office in the polytheistic Roman religion, which was very much a state cult. His was the most important of the Pontifices (plural of Pontifex), positions in the main sacred college (Collegium Pontificum), which he directed.

The Pontifex was not simply a priest. He had both political and religious authority. It is not clear which of the two came first or had the most importance. In practice, particularly during the late Republic, the office of Pontifex Maximus was generally held by a member of a politically prominent family, since Augustus the emperor. Being Pontifex Maximus was not a full-time job and did not preclude the office-holder from holding a magistracy or serving in the military.

Christianity was before Jesus' time, too, btw. So how did that all start? My google searching skills have failed me.

No it wasn't. The most major fundamental rule of Christianity is that Jesus is the Lord and Savior.

Last edited:
Of course he does.

Actually, as of the First Vatican Council, you are right.

If anyone thus speaks, that the Roman Pontiff has only the office of inspection or direction, but not the full and supreme power of jurisdiction over the universal Church, not only in things which pertain to faith and morals, but also in those which pertain to the discipline and government of the Church spread over the whole world; or, that he possesses only the more important parts, but not the whole plenitude of this supreme power; or that this power of his is not ordinary and immediate, or over the churches altogether and individually, and over the pastors and the faithful altogether and individually: let him be anathema.

I find Catholicism extremely interesting the more I read about it. The language they use (and I am not talking about the Latin) is amazing. The pomp, the circumstance, the ritual; utterly fascinating.

I'm pretty sure she, and everyone else here, knows you love her, and bree, and kiki, and pretty much anything with a pussy and a heartbeat. But you wont fuck them unless you want to procreate..

• Gravy
Reactions: 1 person
The catholic church has been going down hill fast since The Flying Nun retired.

flyingnun1.jpg

he is directly responsible - he's the figurehead of the entire fucking church..

while he may not have had the oversight, or the knowledge, he's still responsible.

why beat this topic into remission?