Halp Catholic beavers, I have a question that needs some clarification

My uncle was one of the lawyers for the arch diocese of Baltimore. I'm dying to ask him what he thinks about all this but unfortunately he's actually dead so I'd really have to die to ask him. I can argue that people halfway across the world should not be held individually responsible for the actions of those working under them, but as an organization they should be held accountable. That being said, if you rape someone at work, does your work get sued? In most cases I don't think so although it's not out of the realm of possibility. Mostly I think you just get to go rot in jail yourself. No amount of money takes away rape anyway and that's really what we are talking about here isn't it? I mean, the Vatican could only be held financially responsible. If they were really good people over there they wouldn't mind giving out money for this, they wouldn't mind doing anything they could for these victims. It's not like they aren't rich. I like that it's politics though, interesting stuff.

While I agree that the perpetrators themselves should be charged with the criminal offense, the charge of harboring a noted sex offender should be applied to the church because that's exactly what they are doing. They are not declaring one priest or another to be a sex offender. In some cases the same person is teaching other students in classrooms, which is really not right. Ratzinger wrote letters recommending hiding information from police and threatening termination of the position (excommunication) of telling the stories to authorities. These are indeed civil crimes that should be tried.

Should the pope, whoever that may be, be blamed for the crimes of priests in US? No. If, however, the pope, who oversees the employees of its company does not fire someone for those criminal offenses, or even worse hide information and tell subordinates to hide information from the authorities, then the organization should be tried.

Where does the funding for this settlements and suits come from in the Catholic church? From the diocese's funding? From the central Vatican bank? Their funding pyramid would specify more clearly how organized the company of the Catholic church is structured.

funny-pictures-cat-tells-you-his-religion.jpg

While I agree that the perpetrators themselves should be charged with the criminal offense, the charge of harboring a noted sex offender should be applied to the church because that's exactly what they are doing. They are not declaring one priest or another to be a sex offender. In some cases the same person is teaching other students in classrooms, which is really not right. Ratzinger wrote letters recommending hiding information from police and threatening termination of the position (excommunication) of telling the stories to authorities. These are indeed civil crimes that should be tried.

Should the pope, whoever that may be, be blamed for the crimes of priests in US? No. If, however, the pope, who oversees the employees of its company does not fire someone for those criminal offenses, or even worse hide information and tell subordinates to hide information from the authorities, then the organization should be tried.

Where does the funding for this settlements and suits come from in the Catholic church? From the diocese's funding? From the central Vatican bank? Their funding pyramid would specify more clearly how organized the company of the Catholic church is structured.

Your argument raises a bunch of questions about how the Church came across the information they were allegedly hiding from the authorities, who knew, and what they had rights to. It's a church so it becomes complicated I suppose. I'm not defending them at all, as I really have no idea. Arch diocese do not receive funding from the Vatican bank often. In the same way that an individual church must raise their own money to build or improve or do community projects an arch diocese must raise their own funds. It's not a trickle down effect as much as it is a trickle up effect. I'm sure the Vatican bails out areas in serious trouble, but for the most part they are on their own. I can't imagine anyone at the Vatican level being terribly interested in hiring and firing on the local level. We are talking about a major global political and social force here. It's sort of like saying that the secretary of education should be held accountable for a teacher in Maineville, OH molesting a student and not getting fired after not being convicted of any crime. Doesn't make them good people, but then I don't know very many good people anymore. It's not the job of the dept of education to determine guilt and it's not the job of the Catholic church to do it either. Catholics just need to offer forgiveness when it's requested. Sticky area really.