Book Thread: 1984

We didn't have to read it for school. Probably the closest thing we read would have been Brave New World, which was excellent. We didn't have to read F 451 either, but I picked it up at a used book sale a couple years ago. It was excellent. I loved that it was a book about burning books.

Last edited:
Oooh thanks I will download when I get home.

I'm more into fiction. At least in fiction the world can suck but the book will eventually be over . . .

Now I'm reading Choke, by the guy who did fight club. Its about this recovering sex addict who chokes on food at restaurants so that people will save him. Later he sends them thank you notes and asks for money for various things, which he uses to pay for his mother's nursing home.

Good, but waaaaay fucked up.

Now I'm reading Choke, by the guy who did fight club. Its about this recovering sex addict who chokes on food at restaurants so that people will save him. Later he sends them thank you notes and asks for money for various things, which he uses to pay for his mother's nursing home.

Oooh I have that . . . . in a box :(

Actually I've decided to read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" does anyone happen to have the ebook for this?

I read that about two months ago. I enjoyed it but don't expect it to be exactly like Bladerunner. It goes in a lot more depth about the society.

I like Philip K. Dick's obsession with what defines being alive and what is reality. It's thought he often dealt with these topics due to his mental illness. When you realize that your perceptions define your reality it really makes you think when you realize that your perceptions may be altered due to mental illness.

Last edited:
I read that about two months ago. I enjoyed it but don't expect it to be exactly like Bladerunner. It goes in a lot more depth about the society.

I like Philip K. Dick's obsession with what defines being alive and what is reality. It's thought he often dealt with these topics due to his mental illness.

I've never seen Bladerunner so there isn't a threat of that.

I really enjoyed Bladerunner but I think you're better off reading the book before seeing the movie. The book goes into the importance of animals in the society while the movie never really did.

Most of Chuck Palahniuk's stuff is waaaaay fucked up. I recently read a short story collection of his, Stranger Than Fiction: True Stories. He has had some insane stuff happen in his life. Explains a little where he comes up with his ideas and weirdness.

Have you read Lullaby or Haunted:A Novel ? If you like Choke you will like these two also.