Book Thread: 1984

Now I'm reading Choke, by the guy who did fight club. Its about this recovering sex addict who chokes on food at restaurants so that people will save him. Later he sends them thank you notes and asks for money for various things, which he uses to pay for his mother's nursing home.

Good, but waaaaay fucked up.
no. fucking. way. i just started that.

Good stuffs. A coworker told me about it, like 6 months ago, but I couldn't find the hardcover of it. I finally found one like a month ago, and BAM! here we are book buddies and shit.
:woowoo: I got it from an acquaintance that is becoming a friend about a week ago. she's trying to get me into chuck.

:woowoo: I got it from an acquaintance that is becoming a friend about a week ago. she's trying to get me into chuck.

I like it so far. My coworker loves his work. I spoke to another friend of mine who found his books simplistic with their over the top, in your face scenarios. That kinda describes me, so I think I'll enjoy it. The movie Choke releases in like August...

I had no idea they were making a movie. That's exciting. Now I can smugly tell everyone how much better the book was.

Last edited:
i LOOOOOOOOOVE being a voyeur into people's dark places. i'd take people like charles manson and jeffrey dahmer and stuff them in my toy box so i could take them out and amuse myself at random.

the most recent book i finished and LOVED was A Thrall's Tale. It was set in the late 900s and was about the Vikings, the discovery of Greenland and the pagan world right as Christianity introduced itself to them, told through the eyes of three people. It was an INCREDIBLE read...the author spent 10 years researching and writing the book, and it is just delicious. I've never been into historical stuff (and this is fiction,) but it left me hungry for more about the era. I highly recommend it (though I'll have you know it's a bit lengthy and the language is that of the time.)

Hmmmm, you should consider Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. It's extensively research historical fiction. Set later, but still excellent. Another option could be The Warlord Trilogy by Bernard Cornwell (the best historical fiction author I've ever read).

You should all read "Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End of The World" by Haruki Murakami. It's a fucking amazing trip.