BIG controversy over Obama's speech to kids

My co-worker said his son's school is watching the Obama speech tomorrow and they all have to do a report on it. His kid is 10.
that's what, fourth grade? i seem to recall having to write about things that happened in fourth grade. was that unusual in US schools? you can all write by then, right?

that's preposterous. you can't even begin to shelter your child to that extent. it's a big world out there. you have to prepare them to be critical thinkers, not to take everything said to them at face value.

What's preposterous about wanting to be aware of what's being served up to your kids in grade school? Have I said anything that I would have kept them from hearing any thing? No, I said to be aware.

What's preposterous about wanting to be aware of what's being served up to your kids in grade school? Have I said anything that I would have kept them from hearing any thing? No, I said to be aware.
you're saying you want an advance copy of everything that will be said to your child, ever, so you can approve the script. that's preposterous.

you're saying you want an advance copy of everything that will be said to your child, ever, so you can approve the script. that's preposterous.

Not much different than not letting them watch certain tv programs really. You need a permission slip to do ANYTHING in school that is even a little bit questionable. Contemporary politicians definitely fall into that.

I agree with Jonny. I'd be much more leery of the shit spewed by random teachers than a young father who rose to the highest office in the nation via Harvard Law.
I dont disagree on the point but it couldve been much more effective without the laudatory overture.

it couldve been much more effective without the laudatory overture.

Fair enough. He takes a demagogue-ish feel sometimes. I don't know if anyone at that level will ever again convey information in a normal, familiar manner. There's a rigorous course on how to not speak like a normal human being. I still have the T shirt.

No it is not. I was talking about the speech. Maybe I should have phrased it differently.

Also, I think there's a difference between 'knowing everything they are going to say' and trusting them. I don't trust the federal gov't to come up with a federally funded curriculum to go with Obama's speech & at the same time say it's not propaganda. I don't trust a liberal environment to guide my child through a lesson plan that suggest my child write letters on how they can help Obama accomplish his goal. Even the education secretary, Arnie Duncan, said their own wording was "wrongheadded."

No it is not. I was talking about the speech. Maybe I should have phrased it differently.

I like you as a person but you're seriously a nazi right winger when it comes to politics. I remember having epic debates about G Dubya with you and Asmo before he was elected for the 2nd time and you swore up and down he was making all the right moves. FAIL

:p