Being Single ...

G

gottoys?

It happens to the best of us …

You wake up one morning with that feeling that you lost something. Shuffling through your day with a strange heaviness weighed upon you chest, trying hard to stay distracted. Returning home to an empty house that seems just a little to empty today. No one to smile at when you open the door and dinner alone again. What’s the point of making a nice meal, so you settle for a micro dinner or bowl of cereal. It’s Monday night and it hits you like a brick on the head – you’re single.

How did this happen you wonder? Why does it bother me today all of a sudden? On a normal day it’s not a problem. Hey you have freedom, can do what you want when you want. You have tons of friends you can go out with at the drop of a hat. But today is alarming different. Today you have this urge to snuggle with someone on the couch and giggle together watching TV. Or maybe sit side by side at the pool enjoying a glass of wine and lightly chatting about each others day. Sitting alone on the patio starring at the stars just is less meaningful without a warm hand to hold.

How can it be statistically possible that when you’re single all the eligible people you meet or date are so undesirable? How does this attraction thing work and why is it failing all of a sudden for you? Why is it the first few dates with someone new they seem so much fun and so perfect for you. Then you get to know them a little more and realize they are not what you thought or envisioned? So you reanalyze your situation and think maybe your to picky and need to lower your standards. But why do that? That’s exactly why most relationships fall apart – because you realize they weren’t for you and you were just settling.

So the point of this thread is what experience have you had with being single (good or bad)?

Geez, I'm sorry you're so bummed out. Maybe you could go out on a date with Sarcasmo and remind yourself why you want to be single in the first place.

Edit : And before I met Pandora, I was about at the point of giving up and just being single forever. I'm positive that if we were to break up now, I'd be single forever more and really would have little to zero interest in finding anyone else.

I went to the grocery store for my wife last night. I bought epson salts, tampons, and cotton whipes. The guy behind me just had a few cases of beer. The cashier commented that's easy to pick out the married men and single men by their purchases.

No not bummed out - this is what I have observed from other single people recently (and myself of course). So wanted to see how other people cope with being single. I am still 'not ready' to 'settle' down yet.

BTW - I got the micro dinner thing from Ma171ac :fly:

gottoys? said:
No not bummed out - this is what I have observed from other single people recently (and myself of course). So wanted to see how other people cope with being single. I am still 'not ready' to 'settle' down yet.

I coped with being single by spending tons of money going on dates with dumb girls who didn't know what they wanted out of life. I'll never get that money back, and I'm pissed about it.

b_sinning said:
I went to the grocery store for my wife last night. I bought epson salts, tampons, and cotton whipes. The guy behind me just had a few cases of beer. The cashier commented that's easy to pick out the married men and single men by their purchases.

:fly: yeah that would be real interesting a single guy buying tampons :fly:

but, gottoys, you have to remember that there's undesirable things about being connected with someone, too...you'd go through down spells like you are having now.
there is no reason you need to lower your standards just to have a hand to hold. if you lower your standards, you lose some of yourself, and then some of your happiness abilities. why give all that up for a warm body?
maybe i can't speak for everyone, but all that nice stuff you talk about goes away for the most part anyway...you're more likely to have that more often in dating.
just respect the fact that you are having a DAY, and that you would have days like this in a relationship...tomorrow will be better..:hugs:

I get lonely alot. I don't have anyone to share the silly bits and unimportant details of my life with. Half the time I sit alone in my apartment and think how great it is that I don't have to do anything for anyone. I can eat what I want, drink what I want, lay around naked if I want. No one can tell me where to go, when to be there, how to act.

But, on the other hand, I miss having someone to talk to. Someone to cook for and cuddle with. Someone to share my day with. I don't like to go out much anymore, so my chances of finding someone to cuddle with have been greatly reduced.

Last edited:
Thorn Bird said:
...why give all that up for a warm body?...

Especially with chloroform and/or roofies being so commonly available these days.

:shifty:

Bubbles said:
I don't have anyone to share the silly bits and unimportant details of my life with.

WTF

What about the people here who are constantly forced to read your worthless drivel posts???

j/k :heart:

Last edited:
gottoys? said:

How would I cope? You ever read those stories in history about inventors/scientists who get caught up in their work to the point of that's all they do? That would be me. I'd be fiddling with some project or reading on some subject to prepare for another project. I'd really be too busy to notice.

theacoustician said:
How would I cope? You ever read those stories in history about inventors/scientists who get caught up in their work to the point of that's all they do? That would be me. I'd be fiddling with some project or reading on some subject to prepare for another project. I'd really be too busy to notice.

What about the celebration time immediately following completion of a project where you say "Hey, I'm done, let's celebrate!....*look around*...Oh right, I'm alone." What then??

KNYTE said:
What about the celebration time immediately following completion of a project where you say "Hey, I'm done, let's celebrate!....*look around*...Oh right, I'm alone." What then??
Actually, I used to have 2 or 3 things going at once. I'd complete one and then have at least 1 more still going so life was rarely boring.

I am quite sure that atfer one failed attempt at marrige, if I had not met SD, I would STAY single.

I often sit back and consider how lucky I am to have him to bitch to, laugh with, and cry on. You don't just find that, and if something happened he would not be replacable and I would be damaged goods.

I have also been blessed with three very, very close friends in addition to a sister who will be there for me no matter what. Two don't live anywhere near me; but I can make one phone call or a short drive down Tarpon Ave and know that everything will be OK. There is something to be said about being able to call up a friend in a fit of tears because your water bill was more than you thought it would be, when what is really wrong is a bad case of PMS.

I am a firm believer that everyone has that person out there for them, it is only a matter of when you will meet. I never thought it would happen to me. My only advice is to keep an open mind when you meet someone, and as soon as you stop looking it will fall into your lap.

WE are now immediate family. We take care of each other in a way I never thought possible. I used to be a very "independant" person who didn't believe in being that girl who came home every night and made sure dinner was on the table.... I have now become that girl.

If that person has not come into your life yet, then there is definatly something to be said for being able to do whatever the hell you want to do, when you want to do it. Enjoy it while it lasts... when you find "the one: you will no longer have that freedom, but if it's the right person you won't even care.

i'm rather enjoying being single right now. I'm Enjoying that my apt. is empty when i get home.

I'm enjoying figuring out what I want to do without worrying about someone else's feelings.

theacoustician said:
Geez, I'm sorry you're so bummed out. Maybe you could go out on a date with Sarcasmo and remind yourself why you want to be single in the first place.

The last date I went on I wore lowrider pants with a thong. True story.

theacoustician said:

Funny - that's what I did when I HAD a boyfriend. He was a great guy but just not for me and after 'settling' for 10 years I just consumed my every waking moment into my 2-3 jobs and kids. I worked from 7 in the morning until 11-12 at night 5 days a week.

Now I only have 2 jobs - but I seem to be getting bored with these jobs. and just want to 'play kissy face' with someone - hmmmm.

Candy how long were you married? And how old were you?

When I was engaged and everything went to shit I was bitter and just assumed I'd stay single for a long while becuase I had no interest in going through all the bs. Then out of the blue I met my wife and just let things happen. 6 1/2 years later I'm most of the time happily married.