Food Beer bread!

I've made tasty sourdough without the starter, butttt I do want to attempt the starter feat though. It's on my list of things to do and do right.

i know someone who has just moved to florida and has had a starter for YEARS. and the tastiest sourdough bread i've ever tried. my daughter and i FIGHT over this bread, it's so good. my daughter, who shouldn't care about bread, LOOOOOOOOVES this bread.

so i can see what i can do? maybe?

i know someone who has just moved to florida and has had a starter for YEARS. and the tastiest sourdough bread i've ever tried. my daughter and i FIGHT over this bread, it's so good. my daughter, who shouldn't care about bread, LOOOOOOOOVES this bread.

so i can see what i can do? maybe?
Sure! I would love some real starter. :) If she's up for exchanging anything (mail her some baked goods or something), I'm all over it. :)

07-03-2013_783_IMG_20130702_201237.jpg

"fuck it" bread. Trying IBWIP's suggestions all at once.

2c flour (I used hard bread flour)
1 cup milk, heated to lukewarm.
big blob of butter (probably 2 tbsp)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
active dry yeast

All thrown together in the kitchenaid and mixed up, and prepared as above, just rolled into long loaves and baked on a cookie sheet. Both loaves were sliced, baked again to crisp them up, slathered in goat cheese and demolished.

You leave out a mason jar of water/flour and wait for airborne yeast to collect in it and start fermenting. Throw some of it out, add fresh water/flour, let it grow some more. Repeat enough times and you end up with a sourdough "starter".

Throw some of it into a bread recipe in place of some of the flour and water (or milk/beer/coffee/whatever), leave out the yeast and you get sourdough bread.

its also... sour.

Thats kinda its defining characteristic per the name.

:fly:

I probably didn't get introduced really to sourdough bread until I was older. Our local French bakery does an amazing peasant bread that has that wonderful sour taste - chewy on the inside and a little tough on the outside. It really is my favorite bread out there.

Panera has decent sourdough if you want an easy place to try it. I do love it warm and covered in butter.

07-03-2013_783_IMG_20130702_201237.jpg

"fuck it" bread. Trying IBWIP's suggestions all at once.

2c flour (I used hard bread flour)
1 cup milk, heated to lukewarm.
big blob of butter (probably 2 tbsp)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
active dry yeast

All thrown together in the kitchenaid and mixed up, and prepared as above, just rolled into long loaves and baked on a cookie sheet. Both loaves were sliced, baked again to crisp them up, slathered in goat cheese and demolished.
How was it??? :drool:
I don't think I've ever had it. Does it have a distinct flavour?

You've never had sourdough or starter? :fly: