[Article] Article: Make your own laundry detergent

TSRH!!!!

Fucking weird. My parents have a softener and this always happens when we visit. That kirk's Castile soap rinses away without the sliminess.
That slick feeling is the CLEAN feeling though. Hard water is what leaves a drying out residue on your skin. :heart:

That slick feeling is the CLEAN feeling though. Hard water is what leaves a drying out residue on your skin. :heart:

No. It's the soap not rinsing away completely. After about a week my skin stops doing it. I dislike it greatly so we bring your our own soap with that doesn't leave that residue.

We are the same, our skin much prefers kirk's. My daughter would get dry skin and the dove made no difference. Switched it up to kirks and she has no more issues with dry skin.

I googled and are you talking of Kirk's Natural Castile Soap? I'm willing to look at other types. Most brand name soaps that are in regular stores are over drying to me and causes irritation (no matter if the water is hard or soft).

Just wanted to say sorry Luis, I mentioned our location only to say where ours was in the house. Not to contradict you.

I googled and are you talking of Kirk's Natural Castile Soap? I'm willing to look at other types. Most brand name soaps that are in regular stores are over drying to me and causes irritation (no matter if the water is hard or soft).
Yep, that's the one. My local supermarket has 3 packs. Iirc it says coconut castile.

You want to bet?

I've read up on this and there is conflicting responses, but generally I find people saying that hard water rinses soap off better BUT it can leave a mineraly kind of film that can cause drying.

Personally I say to each their own. I don't like it, so we don't use it, but I get others don't like hard water so if they want to use a softener, more power to them.

Yep, that's the one. My local supermarket has 3 packs. Iirc it says coconut castile.

Thanks! I have a few super markets they claim carry it. I'll have to check it out when I go to one of those next time.

I've read up on this and there is conflicting responses, but generally I find people saying that hard water rinses soap off better BUT it can leave a mineraly kind of film that can cause drying.

Personally I say to each their own. I don't like it, so we don't use it, but I get others don't like hard water so if they want to use a softener, more power to them.

Thanks! I have a few super markets they claim carry it. I'll have to check it out when I go to one of those next time.

I get the crazydude Dr. Bronner castile stuff from Trader Joe's. That soap cleans awesomely.

Dude is seriously nuts though

I get the crazydude Dr. Bronner castile stuff from Trader Joe's. That soap cleans awesomely.

Dude is seriously nuts though

Looks scary based on the quick web search. I'll have to try to remember if we go to TJs again. We have a Whole Food 2 blocks from our house so I shop there more. I should check their soap supply too to see what they offer.

Whereas soft water is bad for your pipes.

thats... not true.

Hard water will leave lime scale or the equivalent on your pipes if theyre metal (galvanized or copper), it wont leave anything on PEX or PVC/CPvC
Acidic water (often associated with soft, but they are two distinct characteristics not intrinsically tied, will mess with copper and galvanized pipes, but once again, not pvc/cpvc
If you've had hard water, and build up significant scale on your pipes to the point that its all thats holding them together, soft water may dissolve this scale, causing leaks in your pipes because they were at the end of their life anyway and were only being held together by the scale.

In no situation on its own will soft water damage your pipes.

thats... not true.

Hard water will leave lime scale or the equivalent on your pipes if theyre metal (galvanized or copper), it wont leave anything on PEX or PVC/CPvC
Acidic water (often associated with soft, but they are two distinct characteristics not intrinsically tied, will mess with copper and galvanized pipes, but once again, not pvc/cpvc
If you've had hard water, and build up significant scale on your pipes to the point that its all thats holding them together, soft water may dissolve this scale, causing leaks in your pipes because they were at the end of their life anyway and were only being held together by the scale.

In no situation on its own will soft water damage your pipes.

:wtf:

Also some water softeners use sodium as a basis to soften the water. The sodium can get into the water stream, and that's also where the corrosion can come from. Obviously, this doesn't affect plastic.