[Article] Article: Howto: Repair LCD Tab Bond and TCON Issues

Thanks so much! This fix worked for me on my 2008 Series 5 (LN46A550P3F) 46" Samsung. It has 12 of the tabs. From the way it was acting before the symptoms occurred, I think it was the one in the upper-left corner that was worst, but all of them came "unstuck" when I pulled off the metal frame.

wait... your tabs came completely off?

Not at the ends. But I'm assuming they're supposed to be attached in the middle? Isn't that what the foam does--push the middle of the ribbon back down when the metal frame is re-attached?

I mean, it *looks* like there's an intermediate connector in the ribbon, just below the "top" (screen) edge. I figured this was supposed to stay pressed down. I've also had the back off my set for four months, and until last week, just squeezing the top edge of the display (thumb on front plastic bezel and fingers gripping back of metal housing) got the picture to come back. A few days ago, it went into "permanent" dark in the left side, so I figured I had nothing to lose by trying a more invasive fix.

Last edited:
ah ok. Yeah, you're good then

Awesome, glad it fixed it up for you.

What did you use to press em back in, the same stuff i ordered from digikey?

What did you use to press em back in, the same stuff i ordered from digikey?

Almost. I had scraps of something very similar, but thinner--1/16" (and only glued on one side), so it took three layers. It may be from the same vendor--the blue diamond-pattern backing plastic looks identical. I can try to look up the manufacturer's name, in case it was less expensive.

I probably should have mentioned that it also appeared like Samsung was trying to address this as well. The inside of the metal frame is lined with rectangles of what look like normal double-stick foam tape, with the backing left on. After seeing this, if my problem returns, my plan will be to scrape off that foam and replace it completely with thermally conductive pad material.

That may be one advantage of my pads only being sticky on one side--if I need a 'do-over,' there's not a risk of pulling the tabs completely off when I remove the metal frame a second or third time...

Last edited: