[Article] Article: Howto: Repair LCD Tab Bond and TCON Issues

Domon

Robotic Dexter
May 19, 2011
Marklar
₥55,009
Brief Howto on how I repaired my 55 inch Samsung (rebrand) TV that had manufacturing issues which caused 3 separate sets to fail each after approximately 2 months. Same failure mechanism every time.

If you have tab bond issues (potentially TCON, but if its a TCON issue, its likely to be less flashey and more corrupted in a constant state) this is what it will look like

Now, how to fix it.

The first step is to disassemble your TV, this took 89 screws of varying sizes all in all for me. Get yourself a parts organizer, and a label set, you wont remember where they go. Do it.

5KLELXR.jpg

stand off

UqwdqaX.jpg

TxLlZRv.png

CQSs0Am.jpg

Gazillion little screws of all different sizes in all different places.

Whew, back cover finally off

08P97Af.jpg

So what you're seeing left to right here is as follows:

1) Inverters (dont touch these, you'll die. Seriously high voltage)
2) Signal processing board
3) Input board
4) up at the top, actually split among two boards, one under the shield (we'll see more of this later) and the square on is the TCON assembly, for this problem this is what we care about.

Take close up pictures of all your boards, for later review, and to inspect for bad or bulging caps as needbe. It never hurts to document

9dMxcy7.jpg

Remove the speakers:

b1rNyFa.jpg

And remove all the screws around the plastic bezel (another 27 screws). At this point, you will have removed all the plastic from the TV. You'll see a metal shield, and at this point theres not much supporting the LCD panel, so be very careful when you move it, too much flex can destroy your panel and you dont have the support of the chassis anymore.

MHTpnnh.jpg

Now, the last step of removal, get the metal panel off. This is the trickiest part sometimes. It has another 20 screws, several of them hidden.

You've finally got access to your tab bonds now, theyre usually along the top of the panel, and theres between 6 and 64 of them depending how old your TV is. Thankfully this is a pretty new TV, so theyre amalgamated up top

XJe31Dn.jpg

That little, incredibly fragile flex cable is the source of all your problems. Specifically the attach points (which by the way, are put on by a 6 million dollar machine, and cant be repaired if broken or separated)

Our specific problem with this Samsung panel, is that the tab bond are generating an incredible amount of heat due to shoddy manufacturing, and are delaminating, as well as overheating. Each flex cable has a set (usually 2) of integrated circuits built into the cable. These get to hot, the display signal stops working right.

So... what do we do to cool these down. I'll tell you

XJe31Dn.jpg

Thats the raw flex data cable, it gets too hot like that. Its supposed to contact the metal shield which will act as a heatsink and draw the heat away, but it doesnt.

We're going to fix that.

You will need a flexible thermal interface, and there is a product called Gap Pad, made by Bernquist available on digikey that does the job perfectly for our application.

KcoEx0D.jpg

Its expensive, 15 bucks for a 4x4 inch sheet, but its nice stuff. You're going to cut it up to be the same size as your tab bonds, and apply it to them very very very carefully with minimal pressure, and never touching the flex cable with your finger

KpMQlll.jpg

LoGndO7.jpg

Leave the top protective covering on it for now. Because you'll be doing this: folding it over so it contacts both edges of the tab bond, as so:

rOeMNkB.jpg

And then removing the blue protective covering. At this point, apply firm even pressure to get it to stick, being sure not to pull on the flex cable in any direction.

Now...... put the metal shield back on, which will apply even pressure through the gap bad on all sides of the tab bond performing two functions

A) Putting pressure on the tab bond attach points, thus preventing any opens where it may have separated previously due to heat
B) Drawing the heat evenly away and preventing further damage.

Now... reassemble from your nicely labeled parts organizer, and see if it did the job!

In my case it didnt :( But it was worth a shot. In the half an hour it took to write this point, the display started flashing again intermittantly, indicating that one of the bonds had probably already been damaged beyond repair, or that another issue was present.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nextup, try to put some active cooling on it, gotta figure out how to do that first though

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
I'm wondering if you should stick some sort of shim underneath the cable, opposite the gap pad. Especially if there's a bonded IC on there, otherwise you could be flexing the cable and making things worse.

Also, hit everything (from a distance) with cold spray, see if you can figure out which tab bond needs work.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
I'm wondering if you should stick some sort of shim underneath the cable, opposite the gap pad. Especially if there's a bonded IC on there, otherwise you could be flexing the cable and making things worse.

Also, hit everything (from a distance) with cold spray, see if you can figure out which tab bond needs work.

The tricky thing is, when it was out of the chassis, it ran fine for upwards of two hours. When its in the chassis, failure within 20 mins. This leads me to believe heat is somehow an issue.

So i cant trigger the problem with the chassis off to hit with cold spray.

Good call on shimming the tab bond, If its already delaminated, the additional pressure could be causing the issue. I wonder why it doesnt manifest immediately though.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Sweet. Sucks you couldn't fix it tho. Didn't gee mention that you wouldn't? :fly:

Anyway, lemme know if you want a shirt. <3

yeah, but not for this issue :) He thought it would just delay the failure. Im still working on home in on the failure mechanism, ill take it apart again tomorrow when i feel like taking out 87 screws again.

Nah, no shirt for me thanks. Appreciate it though.

Thats actually the next step. Take the shell off one step at a time, until it stops overheating. Then hit everything with my laser temp gun to narrow in on whats hottest, then either put heatsinks on it, or replace it.

At this point, its a free TV, ive been fully refunded for it under warranty, so i figure why not mess about with it.

I'm still not 100% convinced it's an overheating issue. I'm more suspicious that thermal expansion is the cause, causing the die connections to move away from the tape. Pressing the die and tape together is a possible fix, err, bandaid.

Definitely do the shim thing.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I'm still not 100% convinced it's an overheating issue. I'm more suspicious that thermal expansion is the cause, causing the die connections to move away from the tape. Pressing the die and tape together is a possible fix, err, bandaid.

Definitely do the shim thing.

I use the term overheating very generally. Heat-related issue. Thermal expansion is definitely on the table.

Successes?

re: Howto: Repair LCD Tab Bond and TCON Issues

Where did you get the idea to attempt the repair in this way---are you aware of anyone having a successful outcome from doing what you did?

Regards

Wattle

re: Howto: Repair LCD Tab Bond and TCON Issues

Where did you get the idea to attempt the repair in this way---are you aware of anyone having a successful outcome from doing what you did?

Regards

Wattle

its a well known repair for Samsung panels, they had a whole batch that fail this way. AVSforums pioneered the technique i think, and its pretty common now. It works for a lot of people. didnt work for me, meaning something else is likely overheating. I havent taken the thing apart again to figure out what, but this method is reliable for many as a usable fix.

@fly see what i did... i posted someone useful and someone new came! yay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently picked up a SONY Bravia (Model No: KDL-32BX350) that someone had ditched in trash bin.

The picture is fine for the first few minutes but then goes kinda 'schizophrenic' with everything appearing double / two seperate pictures superimposed onto each other with about 1/2 inch overlap (really dreadful to watch)..

I'm looking at doing what you did to see if I can bring it back to something approaching normalcy/normality.

Otherwise, I will just have to be content with a 'jukebox' (it has provision for a USB thumbdrive which plays songs wonderfully).

Superimposed picture might be a bad tab bond, or might be a bad connection on the timing controller. I'd take the TV apart, enough to expose the timing controller and ribbon cables going from it to the panel. Run it with the back off (keep hands free of backlight inverters and the AC power supply) and start pushing on things. When you can make the image change by pushing on something, you've found your culprit.

Might be something simple like a badly seated cable or a bad solder joint on a tcon connector, might be a bad tcon (they run about $60) or it might be a bad tab bond (in which case, try domon's method or curb the TV)

It's LVDS from the display controller to the tcon, if you lose a line you'll either get no video or a serious loss of color depending on which pair failed.

Doubling means an row/column address line is bad between tcon and tab bond. Could be tcon itself, bad tab bond, or the ribbon cable/connectors in between.

That is exactly how I fix people's smart phones. o_O The little ribbon cable on the display comes off and the phone looks dead.