[Article] Article: Coqui's guide to looking fat.

Going to attempt workout suicide over the next month. Will be doing the pushup challenge, squat challenge, and ab challenge all simultaneously. First week should be easy.....after that, I don't know.

Care to expand on what that actually means?

Allow me to elaborate, sir. It seems that Looeez here has taken himself up on a little ol' workout challenge to include squats, abs & pushups. He used "suicide" because he will be overloading himself to complete this here workout challenge & will likely be sore.

Sir.

Care to expand on what that actually means?
Sorry most of this only comes in picture form. Most people only do one of these at a time. I'm doing all three

Doing this:
XykmFjt.jpg

With this:
2pndtcC.png

With this:
dH8gKOJ.jpg

So I have been inspired to work out lately and found some apps and tools that appeal to my techy side that "help" me out with my fitness goals (whatever those are). I thought I would share them with you.

iPhone 4S - Yes I know this is a phone, but I bought one explicitly for the purpose of fitness tracking. iOS has the best apps for fitness tracking and posting and the iPhone 4S has a GPS module (that the iPod Touch and iPod Nano do not have) to aid in outdoor activities as well as Bluetooth 4 LE for heart rate monitor tethering as well as Nike+ connectivity if you have those types of devices. As well as the hardware that collects my data as I run or move, I can listen to podcasts using the best podcast player/collector on the market using my BT headset. Just an FYI I can use my BT heart monitor at the same time as my BT headset. And for the price I got the phone (brand new for $250) it was cheaper than the hardware and software it would take to do the same functionality.

Polar H7 Heart Rate Monitor - Using BT technology, wirelessly records in real time my heart rate to any app running on a device that supports BT 4 LE. There are ANT+ heart rate monitors as well from Polar, but your receiver would need to be compatible with that standard. Most apps that have an interface to an HRM work with this Polar device really well. I am not convinced of wearing a chest strap, though, as it isn't that comfortable, convenient, or easy to use (easy to forget to put it on and you have to wet it first before putting it on, and you have to disconnect all of the parts so as not to waste the battery). I might replace this with the Mio Alpha LED HRM watch.

iSmoothRun - iOS app I got for free as they were running a sale, but I would pay the $4.99 it cost for it anyway. For running and cycling has all of the features you would want. Integration with a HRM, check. Weather stats during the workout, check. Exporting of data through many API as well as to dropbox, check. Accelerometer backup in case GPS is not available for indoor workouts or if the GPS signal is hidden by a cloud. Highly configurable as well, giving you updates at a variety of intervals, interrupting your music playback how and when you want (a gentle fade in or pausing the music). Also has an auto pause so if you stop to get a drink, your tracking stops. Syncs with Fitbit Aria to get the latest weight for more accurate calorie counting while you work out. There are many other features, too.

Fitbit Aria - A wifi-enabled scale that synchronizes with my Fitbit account to display my weight and body fat index with a stylish device. A bit expensive ($75 on sale with coupon) but it's very easy to use and automatically recognizes who is on the scale so you don't have to "sign in" (can hold up to 8 people's measurements). Automatically synchronizes, too, just stand on the scale until it says it's done. It will automatically upload the data to your Fitbit account.

Fitbit One - A belt clip step counter and sleep "analyzer" for every day all day use. Tracks (with marginal accuracy) your step count throughout the day. Whether it's accurate to the step or not is not 100% make or break, it is at least motivating. It is at least consistent if you are sitting all day or moving and that alone can inform you if you need to move more or not throughout the day. It does get tricked out by my scooter riding, though, but scooter riding is twice as phyisically demanding (burns twice as many calories) as walking, so I would say it's a wash. The iOS app (free) is very good, as well as the web interface to our account (freemium but more than good enough in stock form), and syncing the device (done through your PC or iOS app) is easy. Lasts about 5 days on a charge and stores up to 5 days of data, so if you are gone on a long weekend, just sync when you get back home and charge, no worries.

Endomondo - iOS app (and other platforms, too) that works similarly to iSmoothRun but adds more features if you are not just running or cycling. Matter of fact, I used this app first before iSmoothRun and now only use this app when I am doing an activity like cross training. It is good at tracking my HRM as wel during my workout, but does not record the weather (that's a premium option). Does better at sharing stats to social media than iSmoothRun, too, but even the premium version does not have ALL of the features iSmoothRun has. The only thing I use Endomondo for (and it's VERY impressive web front end, also freemium) is for non-running activities. This is why you see 0.1 miles exercises on my twitter or facebook feeds, the GPS is still tracking or at least trying to, even if there's no movement.

JEFIT - iOS app (freemium, but not necessary) is great if you go to the gym and would like to record your sets and workout routines. It is also very good to download other people's routines and set plans for you to work them out. There is a very large library of routines that are user-made, self-made, and professionally made for you to choose from. Has hundreds of exercises to choose from and the ability to add your own if it isn't listed. They are often updating the list, though. Clearly laid out app with detailed pictures is quite refreshing to use. Can log body measurements as well, but does not interface with other fitness apps the same way Fitbit and Endomondo and iSmoothRun do, each sharing data with each other. JEFIT does have a web presence that is fairly comprehensive, though.

So this is what I am using. What are you guys using?

I like to keep things simple. I use my fitness pal to track calories and log monthly measurements.

I also have a crappy bio electrical hand device to measure body fat. It has a high margin of error. But I just use it to track progress.

Finally I have a set of calipers, but it's highly susceptible to human error. I don't have a 'trained' person measure me, I do a 3-5 site calculation, but I'm not sure I believe it. It gives me a very low number.

That's it! No other fancy gadgets.

I like to keep things simple. I use my fitness pal to track calories and log monthly measurements.

I also have a crappy bio electrical hand device to measure body fat. It has a high margin of error. But I just use it to track progress.

Finally I have a set of calipers, but it's highly susceptible to human error. I don't have a 'trained' person measure me, I do a 3-5 site calculation, but I'm not sure I believe it. It gives me a very low number.

Those apps integrate with myfitnesspal, too, so that your calorie counts are more accurate; the workout and burning of calories are pushed into myfitnesspal so your daily calorie counts are more accurate.

I don't track what I eat, though, so that might be a better solution for you. I should stop feeding my face but I am always so hungry now I am moving around.

April and I are using this one:

http://www.amazon.com/AccuMeasure-M...d=1374187901&sr=8-1&keywords=body+fat+caliper

And then plugging it into the spreadsheet listed here:
http://www.4hourlife.com/2011/04/09...on-body-fat-calculator-how-do-you-measure-up/

We've only been doing it for two weeks, but the results seemed to be about what I would expect. Since proper hydration is important, do the measurements at about the same time every day and make sure you've had at least a liter of water 1-2 hours before.