WTF Arresting Blacks for Smoking Weed is ... RACIST!!!

Federal crimes and federal sentencing guidelines have nothing to do with state crimes and state sentencing guidelines. They're different courts and stuff.

Just admit it, people only break up once.

Federal crimes and federal sentencing guidelines have nothing to do with state crimes and state sentencing guidelines. They're different courts and stuff.

Just admit it, people only break up once.

Finally, you got it right. Guidelines. Not mandatory minimums. :clap:

Finally, you got it right. Guidelines. Not mandatory minimums. :clap:

Actually I got it wrong in that post. At state level they are mandatory. I simply got type happy. If you are convicted of a 1st degree felony in Texas you will go to prison for at least 5 years. At the federal level, in federal court, they are guidelines. Two completely different systems that have nothing to do with one another.

Actually I got it wrong in that post. At state level they are mandatory. I simply got type happy. If you are convicted of a 1st degree felony in Texas you will go to prison for at least 5 years. At the federal level, in federal court, they are guidelines.

So state rulings never go up to SCOTUS, and when they do, they don't effect the rest of the country?

Does Miranda apply to state officers outside of Arizona?

So state rulings never go up to SCOTUS, and when they do, they don't effect the rest of the country?

Does Miranda apply to state officers outside of Arizona?

Yes, they do. But that isn't what happened here and that isn't what we're talking about.

Yes, they do. But that isn't what happened here and that isn't what we're talking about.

Well, let's spell this out then. Plz answer yes/no:

Are we talking about mandatory minimums?

Are we talking about SCOTUS rulings applying to states?

Are we talking about SCOTUS invalidating mandatory minimums?

We've been considering this possibility recently to scale down our economies. Apple season isn't for a few months but we could certainly make some berry wines/ales around now.

I've also entertained the possibility of installing an orchard.

I would like to grow the very old and rare cider apples that were mostly wiped out by the incredibly stupid people of the early 20th century.

I've also entertained the possibility of installing an orchard.

I would like to grow the very old and rare cider apples that were mostly wiped out by the incredibly stupid people of the early 20th century.

I'd enter this venture with you should you need backing capital and/or cheap manual labour on your orchard sir. I have many an olde English recipe I can instill on your apple barrels. :cool:

Well, let's spell this out then. Plz answer yes/no:

Are we talking about mandatory minimums?

Are we talking about SCOTUS rulings applying to states?

Are we talking about SCOTUS invalidating mandatory minimums?

1. Yes.
2. No.
3. No. Well, sort of.

It's like this: You have the federal court system, the state court systems, and the municipal court systems.

Federal courts have jurisidiction over very specific things, state district and county courts have jurisdiction over other specific things, and muninicipal courts have jurisidiction over yet other things.

When SCOTUS says "There will be no mandatory federal sentencing minimums" they are talking about the federal court system.

If you come to Texas and commit capital murder you will either be executed or sentenced to life without parole in the Texas state criminal court system. Life without parole is the minimum sentence you will receive, and it is mandatory if you are convicted. As the statute says. It has nothing to do with federal court or SCOTUS' ruling regarding federal court. Because it's a state court case and we are free to sentence however we want.

If the issue ever, for some reason, goes up to SCOTUS and they rule that our sentencing standards are some kind of violation of the Constitution then that will apply to us and anyone else with a substantively similar procedure. SCOTUS is pretty hands off in terms of States, however, because it isn't their job to micromanage every aspect of our judicial systems.

Well, if Federal mandatory minimums are a no-no, it stands to reason that State ones are as well. How that conclusion cannot be drawn, I have no idea. Stupid fucking court systems.