Thread Apple vs AT&T who's the iPhone winner

Who is the winner with AT&T losing exclusive rights to the iPhone

• AT&T

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Apple

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters
I was actually surprised about that launch. Most new products from Apple get at least a "meh" response going up to "mildly excited". The launches rarely reach ravenous frothing at the mouth excitement that the hype builds up, but it does get there eventually (with the exception of Apple TV and said Mac Cube, which was awesome btw). But this release wasn't even "meh", even by the fanboys.

Honestly there is no use case scenerio for this device. There never has been. Over a decade manufacturers have been building and trying out different platforms for this slate market that is seemingly there, but nothing ever took off. Whole OSes and screen technologies were invented just or it and still nothing. Apple usually has a nack for making a market out of thin air to some success for at least tweaking an existing market to great success. This time around the hopes of tablet technology were dependant on them to repeat the same magic and it just didn't.

I cannot see this thing near a couch to couch surf, too fragile and too expensive and too serious/professional; it's not a toy. I can't see this as a replacement for an ereader because a conventional LED display is not as good on the eyes to read as e-ink is, nor the battery life. It's too big to fill that role as well with that inch wide+ bezel. It is too fragile to just throw into a backpack to tote around (indeed how would one tote around an aluminum and glass vessel without cracking it or scratching it because with Apple looks are everything). Any app that requires the accelerometers (which I find quite slow to react on the iPhone) are going to be very tedious to do with a 1.5lb bulky iPad.

I just don't see the point. Get an Acer Timeline series 11.6" laptop. Clamshell design to protect the screen. A hardware keyboard to actually do documents and better creation tasks. Much more powerful processor (Core 2 duo equiv) up to 1080p video playback in any format. Same ereader type screen an iPad has, but can open almost any ebook with fbreader. Still 8 hour battery life. Same price. Only a pound more.

We shall see how this plays out, but either this turns into another Apple TV (we call it our hobby because it doesn't sell as well as a full on product) or actually FINALLY opens up the tablet market.

wut? this is nothing but a toy. it has no use in the business world. it's an overpriced yuppie toy

Who in the hell wants to dump 500-800 on a damn ipad and then still have to pay a monthly service though AT&T funk that

This. I hear the iPad is great as an eReader but I'm not going to spend a monthly fee and yes I know that I could use wifi but I can also do that with the nook or kindle for 200 bucks less.

The ipad book prices looked higher than the other digital readers prices. If you can't get the price below the cost of buying the real book then it just doesn't seem worth it.

wut? this is nothing but a toy. it has no use in the business world. it's an overpriced yuppie toy

Then it's doomed to fail before it even ships out if it is indeed just a toy gadget on the side, $500+ is not the price point for a toy.

This. I hear the iPad is great as an eReader but I'm not going to spend a monthly fee and yes I know that I could use wifi but I can also do that with the nook or kindle for 200 bucks less.

Not really. The screen isn't e-ink so reading on it isn't as pleasant. It's heavier and bulkier than more other ereaders, so it's more of a burden to hold. It isn't as readily tossable into a book bag than other eReaders. It is twice the price of most eReaders. It doesn't support that many other formats of books.

The only redeeming quality as an eReader is the Book Store app.

The ipad book prices looked higher than the other digital readers prices. If you can't get the price below the cost of buying the real book then it just doesn't seem worth it.

Just download all of the free ePub books floating out there. Almost any device at that point would then cost less than the price of the books.

The nook allows for PDFs (which I believe the Kindle does as well) so you can read stuff from project gutenberg also because of the wifi you can read google books on it. So once you buy the reader you really don't have to pay another cent.

Has anyone on here tried to read an ebook on an iphone or touch? I'm just wondering how that was. I wouldn't mind getting a touch eventually.

It's too small to really read easily. There is too much swiping pages as well because you can only show so much readable text on a 3" screen.

Actually I have several gigs of books I just haven't gotten a reader yet. I like to plan ahead. That and I'm broke.

There is a very hacker-friendly Android powered eReader at CES that was $149, runs on AA batteries. The lith-ion version is $179. with a microSD slot for future expansion.

There is a very hacker-friendly Android powered eReader at CES that was $149, runs on AA batteries. The lith-ion version is $179. with a microSD slot for future expansion.

Thanks. I'll look into it. Unfortunately every month lately Power has beaten ebook reader as one of the things I want this month. My wife's business has been slower due to the economy so I've been more cautious with toy expenditures to play it safe.

I have the Amazon Kindle app on my phone and I don't mind it. It's perfect when bored waiting in doctors offices and such. Much easier than lugging a book on a plane; this way I can carry a zillion books.