Thread Apple vs AT&T who's the iPhone winner

Who is the winner with AT&T losing exclusive rights to the iPhone

• AT&T

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Apple

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters
Apple wins.

Crappy service (even before the iPhone release) and crappy 3G coverage, they're going to lose everyone soon.
No lies you are the first person I have heard of that didn't like AT&T service BEFORE the god-phone descended upon us.

Back in ought-one, I switched to AT&T from BANM (Newly minted Verizon) because AT&T's TDMA tower was the only one that I could access from my new house. I had this tank of a Nokia phone that would probably last forever if it wasn't obsolete. Of course it sucked in a myriad of other places, so I switched back to Verizon a couple of years later.

Been with Verizon ever since.

Keep in mind, I'm also in an area where AT&T's service isn't exactly the most stellar. Here it's Sprint Town.

i actually live in sprint town, can't get sprint signal anywhere. especially if you're near the sprint HQ.

their data stuff all out owns though if you have an aircard for a laptop.

I was actually surprised about that launch. Most new products from Apple get at least a "meh" response going up to "mildly excited". The launches rarely reach ravenous frothing at the mouth excitement that the hype builds up, but it does get there eventually (with the exception of Apple TV and said Mac Cube, which was awesome btw). But this release wasn't even "meh", even by the fanboys.

Honestly there is no use case scenerio for this device. There never has been. Over a decade manufacturers have been building and trying out different platforms for this slate market that is seemingly there, but nothing ever took off. Whole OSes and screen technologies were invented just or it and still nothing. Apple usually has a nack for making a market out of thin air to some success for at least tweaking an existing market to great success. This time around the hopes of tablet technology were dependant on them to repeat the same magic and it just didn't.

I cannot see this thing near a couch to couch surf, too fragile and too expensive and too serious/professional; it's not a toy. I can't see this as a replacement for an ereader because a conventional LED display is not as good on the eyes to read as e-ink is, nor the battery life. It's too big to fill that role as well with that inch wide+ bezel. It is too fragile to just throw into a backpack to tote around (indeed how would one tote around an aluminum and glass vessel without cracking it or scratching it because with Apple looks are everything). Any app that requires the accelerometers (which I find quite slow to react on the iPhone) are going to be very tedious to do with a 1.5lb bulky iPad.

I just don't see the point. Get an Acer Timeline series 11.6" laptop. Clamshell design to protect the screen. A hardware keyboard to actually do documents and better creation tasks. Much more powerful processor (Core 2 duo equiv) up to 1080p video playback in any format. Same ereader type screen an iPad has, but can open almost any ebook with fbreader. Still 8 hour battery life. Same price. Only a pound more.

We shall see how this plays out, but either this turns into another Apple TV (we call it our hobby because it doesn't sell as well as a full on product) or actually FINALLY opens up the tablet market.

And there was no announcement of a Verizon (or CDMA for that matter) iPhone, a new update to the iPhone, anything else. Strange conference.

Also no multitasking or camera? Really what is the point? You can't prop it up with a built in stand to do the media playback because it doesn't have one. Hell Nokia PHONES have that feature.

And how can you have the best internet experience ever without Flash support?

Nope, give me an Android powered HTC HD2 coming out this summer. Does everything this does but more, Android apps are growing faster than Apple app store. Can do more functionality that you want it to (playback any type of file, run Flash), has very reasonable screen to do most anything on it. Expandable. Very similar price range. And that whole it actually works as a cell phone, too, thing.

I didn't like Mac Cubes because we made several computer labs with them and they died constantly. They looked cool and great to show off to prospective students and parents but were in a pain in reliability.

I had AT&T a few years ago and the experience was absolutely horrible. The only reason I am on AT&T is because of the iPhone and if its released to another company with a reasonable monthly bill I will happily switch at the end of my contract.