WTF Another shooting!

A handgun is, definitely. My father-in-law is required by law to carry a hand gun when he is legally bow hunting bears. Incase he only wounds the bear he has protection with the hand gun.

I will concede the automatic weaponry, however.

And the number of hunters is irrelevant. If I choose to hunt, I should be allowed to have a weapon for the hunt. 100% of the population should be able to hunt if they want to.

I don't think anyone is arguing against guns for hunting.

The thing is we have laws against shooting other people. We have laws against lots of things but people still commit crimes. I'd be just fine with eliminating violent crime. I just don't know how. I don't think removing guns from the equation would do it. We'd still have lunatics gnawing the faces off of their fellow Floridians. Maybe the death tolls would be lower in random movie theater attacks, but domestic violence probably wouldn't come to an end. Gang bangers killing each other certainly wouldn't stop. And then there is the consideration that if we do ever decide to revolt against our abomination of a government we are going to need some way of going about it. I don't think we could ever amass enough guns to do it so we are basically screwed but we at least need a fighting chance, right? I agree we have problems, huge ones. I don't think getting rid of guns will solve them though.

I don't think anyone is arguing against guns for hunting.

They are saying hand guns are not for hunting. I am arguing they are.

maplesyrup is claiming there are far too many guns for how many people hunt, but whether there are 10 or 10 million hunters is irrelevant. It's the principle and acceptance for the ability to hunt that is the point.

The thing is we have laws against shooting other people. We have laws against lots of things but people still commit crimes. I'd be just fine with eliminating violent crime. I just don't know how. I don't think removing guns from the equation would do it. We'd still have lunatics gnawing the faces off of their fellow Floridians. Maybe the death tolls would be lower in random movie theater attacks, but domestic violence probably wouldn't come to an end. Gang bangers killing each other certainly wouldn't stop. And then there is the consideration that if we do ever decide to revolt against our abomination of a government we are going to need some way of going about it. I don't think we could ever amass enough guns to do it so we are basically screwed but we at least need a fighting chance, right? I agree we have problems, huge ones. I don't think getting rid of guns will solve them though.

well my whole argument about this (and the original point of the constitution) was we should have access to the same arms (not just guns) as available to the government.

But I digress.

The death toll from random crazies would be lower, as would people getting shot with their own legal guns, and spouses being shot during arguments. We have guns in the UK. Honestly I have no problem with a few gangs shooting each other now and again, they keep that shit in house so innocents very rarely get hurt, if idiots want to engage in criminal behaviour and shoot each other over it thats fine, one less idiot on the street. The idea that you could ever rise up against your government because you have guns is farcical. You would only have a fighting chance if there would a military coup, and for that to happen you don't need civilians to have guns, you just need to army to join in, but whats the chances of that? I think tighter gun controls and not handing out stupidly dangerous handguns and autos would be a huge step for you, but of course the vocal idiots will never let that happen as with most progressive and sensible things in the US>

I can just as easily run a whole group of people over on a sidewalk.

I don't know why this made me laugh. Probably because I visualized you in your old lady vehicle cackling crazily while driving at 80 mph down a sidewalk in ybor on a Friday night.

well my whole argument about this (and the original point of the constitution) was we should have access to the same arms (not just guns) as available to the government.

But I digress.

I agree. I want a flame thrower. It would make snow removal so much easier.

I SHOULD BE ABLE TO HAVE A HOWITZER IN MY LIVING ROOM IF I WANT TO. THIS IS THE LAND OF THE FREE, RIGHT?? STOP TRYING TO TAKE AWAY MY LIBERTIES YOU OBAMA COMMUNISTS!