Thread All new 2019 Super Duper Sperm thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know how you find out someone is a physicist/mathematician/engineer/etc?

Wait 5 seconds and they'll tell you.
Good thing I'm a carpenter, wait... electrician... er law enforcement...

Basically if you can think of a job that makes you think "I can't believe someone is letting me do this"

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I'm not, like, amazing at math, but I am a lot better than I always thought I was, I just suck at the rote memorization parts so I forget steps in algorithms if all I have is "here's the algorithm, follow the steps" which is how I was taught growing up.

one specific example is that I'd always fuck up when multiplying two two-digit numbers together because I'd forget the "placeholder zero" and y'all, I was a grown ass woman when it was explained that you're multiplying by TEN of the thing, which in hindsight as an adult makes total sense, but it was never explained that way to me as a kid, it was just "follow the fucking steps"

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
I'm not, like, amazing at math, but I am a lot better than I always thought I was, I just suck at the rote memorization parts so I forget steps in algorithms if all I have is "here's the algorithm, follow the steps" which is how I was taught growing up.

one specific example is that I'd always fuck up when multiplying two two-digit numbers together because I'd forget the "placeholder zero" and y'all, I was a grown ass woman when it was explained that you're multiplying by TEN of the thing, which in hindsight as an adult makes total sense, but it was never explained that way to me as a kid, it was just "follow the fucking steps"
Just wait until you can be equally confused by the new math methods that they're going to teach your kiddo

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and tre

Throughout all of college I'd get partial credit on 75% of my answers because I forgot to carry a negative number to the next step, or did a math error.
Learned to show my work, at least.

Just wait until you can be equally confused by the new math methods that they're going to teach your kiddo

I really like a lot of the ways they are teaching kids these days. My 7-year-old has a better understanding of place value and the concepts of scale then I had for many years. My 11-year-old 5th grader is doing and understanding math that I didn't comprehend until 8th grade because she learned so many different ways to solve problems that now she can apply knowledge rather than just memorizing one way to do things. She understands the why and the how, not just the how. This knowledge will serve them both well if they choose to get into professions that require higher math. Neither of them seems inclined toward that now though, and I'm not pushing them to get into it any more than they need to in order to function in the world.

I really like a lot of the ways they are teaching kids these days. My 7-year-old has a better understanding of place value and the concepts of scale then I had for many years. My 11-year-old 5th grader is doing and understanding math that I didn't comprehend until 8th grade because she learned so many different ways to solve problems that now she can apply knowledge rather than just memorizing one way to do things. She understands the why and the how, not just the how. This knowledge will serve them both well if they choose to get into professions that require higher math. Neither of them seems inclined toward that now though, and I'm not pushing them to get into it any more than they need to in order to function in the world.

That sounds like the benefit of those howard-county tax dollars at work.

Theyre still on adding 2 digit numbers down where I am for mine, same age (7).

it was being in college for Elementary Education that gave me the aforementioned epiphany.

overall the move is toward a deeper relationship with numbers and math so that kids/people understand the math rather than Follow The Algorithms, but

there are issues with implementation of the "new
math" because a lot of the teachers being expected to teach it either weren't really taught it/were only taught the Old Math™ when they went to school, or because of schools/administration forcing a strict Teach To The Test approach that doesn't allow for variance, AND because parents are also not given a primer on the new methods so they don't know how to decode the homework to help their kids out.

it's not perfect by any means, and I can understand how it can be frustrating for teachers and parents and therefore kids, but tbh the old way was plenty frustrating to me so it feels like that part comes out even. and they DO eventually get to the algorithms part, so that part isn't changing and it'll still be a tool they have, it's just that they get to learn additional tools, too, that can better contextualize the steps of the algorithm.

in grownup math/science, it's kind of like how it can be a lot easier to remember a formula if you understand how to derive it - you CAN memorize it and it's usually faster if you have, but if you understand WHY you're doing what you're doing, you don't even really have to remember the formula, you just Understand That Shit

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
Oh, I'm aware. But he was good at math. And IIRC, he had a picture of him winning something in high school. I actually believe that part.

bd7013c2cd34a26aebd0a0e58b8cca36.jpg

here’s a picture and proof that i too won a prestigious math award. it’s real.

• Haha
  • Gravy
Reactions: NukesII and Peppers
Status
Not open for further replies.