Thread All new 2019 Super Duper Sperm thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always learned best from walking through examples of how the formulas worked anyway.
Two most remembered/favorite classes: Statics, Fluid Dynamics.

Statics the prof hammered us. Made us remember every single aspect of the topic. Quizzed us relentlessly. Was a weed put class and he was in vicious competition with another prof on campus for the highest fail rate of the first attempt at the class.

Fluids? Absolute opposite. Allowed notes, encouraged notes. Told us how he was gonna lay out the test and exactly what he expected of us. "I want you to learn how to set up the problem, not how to do math in your heads. You can always look up formulas later when you get into the real world, there you just need to know how to set it up."
One of my highest grades for a class that mattered was in his class.

bd7013c2cd34a26aebd0a0e58b8cca36.jpg

here’s a picture and proof that i too won a prestigious math award. it’s real.
looks more like you're presenting an award

Two most remembered/favorite classes: Statics, Fluid Dynamics.

Statics the prof hammered us. Made us remember every single aspect of the topic. Quizzed us relentlessly. Was a weed put class and he was in vicious competition with another prof on campus for the highest fail rate of the first attempt at the class.

Fluids? Absolute opposite. Allowed notes, encouraged notes. Told us how he was gonna lay out the test and exactly what he expected of us. "I want you to learn how to set up the problem, not how to do math in your heads. You can always look up formulas later when you get into the real world, there you just need to know how to set it up."
One of my highest grades for a class that mattered was in his class.
I never had a memorable teacher. I was mostly just spacing out in class. I learned everything at the library. I gave up on teachers in 5th grade. We used to get punished severely for getting things wrong (getting too much wrong you'd get sent to the coatroom, missing homework would get the whole class sat out of lunch) so I'd always prep classes like 6 months ahead of time. By the time I was in HS I had the entire textbook memorized by the first day.

Hard habit to break. The bit of college I did do I'd read the entire entire reading list. Read the suggested reading. Read everything referred to into those texts before ever showing up. Super boring.

Problem is I'm not really good at organic chemistry. Never really got a good grasp of of it. Couple other things too.

Last edited:
For me the teacher was the most important aspect of the class. I had the ability to learn and know any of the stuff but if the teacher was an ass or just wasn't into it or whatever that really affected my attitude towards whatever it was.

Had a couple that never should've been involved in education, many who were OK, and several who were really good at what they did and to whom I owe a debt of gratitude to to this day.

Oddly or not, later in life I saw that the really good ones were the ones who were seemingly hardest on me at the time. They knew I had the ability and they'd get pissed off, rightfully so, if I didn't take full advantage of it and just do enough to end up with a B or whatever.

One of my favorites of all was a junior high science teacher we called swivel hips. He was a polio survivor and walked funny. That guy was old school. That guy would jump your ass all up and down like a drill Sargeant or pissed off wrestling coach or something 'cause he knew you had the ability to do better and just weren't putting in the effort.
Dude was pushing the envelope towards being "too harsh" even for back then and would certainly at least lose his job if not end up in jail acting like that nowdays but it was all out of love and a desire to see you be your best and was what I needed.

After I was a couple years older and he retired I'd see him around town or at the VFW and we'd chat over a drink and a smoke. Behind all that bluster was a really big heart and a guy who really cared.

For me the teacher was the most important aspect of the class. I had the ability to learn and know any of the stuff but if the teacher was an ass or just wasn't into it or whatever that really affected my attitude towards whatever it was.

Had a couple that never should've been involved in education, many who were OK, and several who were really good at what they did and to whom I owe a debt of gratitude to to this day.

Oddly or not, later in life I saw that the really good ones were the ones who were seemingly hardest on me at the time. They knew I had the ability and they'd get pissed off, rightfully so, if I didn't take full advantage of it and just do enough to end up with a B or whatever.

One of my favorites of all was a junior high science teacher we called swivel hips. He was a polio survivor and walked funny. That guy was old school. That guy would jump your ass all up and down like a drill Sargeant or pissed off wrestling coach or something 'cause he knew you had the ability to do better and just weren't putting in the effort.
Dude was pushing the envelope towards being "too harsh" even for back then and would certainly at least lose his job if not end up in jail acting like that nowdays but it was all out of love and a desire to see you be your best and was what I needed.

After I was a couple years older and he retired I'd see him around town or at the VFW and we'd chat over a drink and a smoke. Behind all that bluster was a really big heart and a guy who really cared.
Ditto. Had a junior high social studies teacher who once commandeered a boom box and hit play. While Nazareth was crooning Love Hurts he gave us a lecture about the underground railroad. "this song is about the underground railroad...". Brilliant lies. Got everyone's attention.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Ditto. Had a junior high social studies teacher who once commandeered a boom box and hit play. While Nazareth was crooning Love Hurts he gave us a lecture about the underground railroad. "this song is about the underground railroad...". Brilliant lies. Got everyone's attention.
Had a social studies (formerly known as "history") who was pretty hardass too. Good guy. Except he kept trying to get me to come out to play on his football team 'cause I was a big strong farm boy while I was too busy playing in bands, going to bars, getting free drink, and chasing legal pussy all as an underage teen. For some reason his 2-a-days hopping through old tires and pushing sleds around didn't sound like near as much fun.

Had a lady English teacher who was among the best as well. Different approach but made you want to do the best you could.

Teaching is a different kind of thing. You don't need to be a mathematician to teach math, don't need to be some literary stalwart to teach English comp, you just need to be a good teacher. There's tons of people excellent in whatever they do that couldn't teach it to somebody else.

Like me for example. I'm excellent at a near unimaginable number of things but try to explain them to someone else and it's just tumbleweeds of the mind.

• Gravy
Reactions: NukesII
Status
Not open for further replies.