Thread All new 2019 Super Duper Sperm thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I'm sure it's all one giant coverup that you somehow know about, but no one else ever will.

Think About It GIF by Big Potato Games

lol

applied math is best math.
Most applied math is relatively simple. I just hate memorizing rote formulas for physics. I'm sure there is some deeper context but that's not really how it's taught.

I like doing proofs though.

omg is it bad?

No it’s fun. Which is why I’d go back to school for it.

I’m 40 years old. I’d never go back to school for something I don’t enjoy.
I still remember sitting in one of my classes with one of my more enjoyable profs and he was talking about Euler and how imaginary numbers work
And for a brief moment, the clouds cleared, light shone down upon me, and angels sang.

It was a glorious moment of enlightenment. I had a few others, but Euler was the most powerful one.

Trigonometry is fun.

I actually never went beyond basic college algebra cause I didn’t need it. So I’ve never ventured into calculus.
I also enjoyed Calc 1, whole helluva lot actually; it made a lot of sense on an almost visceral level. Calc 2 and 3, ehhh. Differential Equations started to get fun again but then we moved to Computational Methods and I lost the plot again.

Math is weird.

Most applied math is relatively simple. I just hate memorizing rote formulas for physics. I'm sure there is some deeper context but that's not really how it's taught.

I like doing proofs though.
You can't really do much in physics beyond rote application of formulae until you can derive the formulae using calculus.

Then it's obvious.

But making kids wait to learn physics until they can handle the underpinnings is pretty shitty as an educational strategy.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
You can't really do much in physics beyond rote application of formulae until you can derive the formulae using calculus.

Then it's obvious.

But making kids wait to learn physics until they can handle the underpinnings is pretty shitty as an educational strategy.
I never finished calculus honestly. My dad had books on applied integrals (he was an ee pe) and I never got into it.

I never finished calculus honestly. My dad had books on applied integrals (he was an ee pe) and I never got into it.
I took AP calc AB and BC in high school, Calculus 2 and 3 in college, and then differential equations and what passed for computational mathematics (which was just a cheerleading section for Matlab at my uni, as Matlab/MathWorks was started there).

At this point, mostly what I use calculus for is first derivative tests to see whether an asymptotic analysis is caught in one particular type of local extreme. I kind of got to dust it off when I was working on Trilinos, but honestly with a master in computer science, most of my work on that was on the communications/IO side of that package, while the PhDs worked out the hard math.

I still remember sitting in one of my classes with one of my more enjoyable profs and he was talking about Euler and how imaginary numbers work
And for a brief moment, the clouds cleared, light shone down upon me, and angels sang.

It was a glorious moment of enlightenment. I had a few others, but Euler was the most powerful one.
number theory just makes sense to me. Calculus can suck a bag of dicks.

number theory just makes sense to me. Calculus can suck a bag of dicks.
I'm really good at trig stuff. I had multiple books (from like the 50s) on spherical trig and surveying when I was like 12. I cannot get lost on a sphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.