Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done this (no cardboard option).

did it work?

Afterward I felt like such a hillbilly, the next time hail was predicted, I just parked the car in a parking garage & had the 'I can't believe you're worried about it' GF drive us back to the apartment.

It does work, at least for any common hail I've been in. Larger than marble but just short of the size of an actual golf ball.

Can also set a box of some kind, small bucket, pile of laundry, just more rags, or whatever you can come up with on top the car and fasten the blanket down over that. Creates more cushion or airspace or odd angles between the hail and the car. That handle about anything you're gonna see.

As long as it's fastened down good enough the wind can't blow it off first.

Can think of it like would you rather get shot by an ice cube with no shirt on, wearing a puffy jacket, or sitting in a tent.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
I've done this (no cardboard option).

did it work?

Afterward I felt like such a hillbilly, the next time hail was predicted, I just parked the car in a parking garage & had the 'I can't believe you're worried about it' GF drive us back to the apartment.
It's not crazy if they are predicting it. They were NOT predicting anything of the nature and we got hit by a hail-atious hail storm. Some about cue ball or tennis ball sized. We had been re-organizing the garage so both cars were outside. Both cars totalled(full coverage), $55k in house damage, several trees killed or warped from being beat to death from one direction. I had a 2003 Cadiilac that was about 10 years old, decided to buy it back from the insurance company. It was brown, really didn't look that bad. No broken glass.

500 miles with the break in lube down, time for the next 250k

iqnWcjA.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Kinda what I thought as well.

I have an EGR code bothering me, which is weird as near the entire system was replaced

I might not be much help. A lot of times it's not actual bad parts but carbon buildup in the upper intake. Some tiny like straightened paperclip and pipe cleaner size passages in there that get clogged up over time. But you just redid this whole thing so that's obvs not it.

Maybe hardened rubber hose/less than airtight seal if the exhaust end was just reattached with the old stuff?

Sometimes cleaning things good can make air gaps where the deterioration from old stuff used to help close them up.

Mostly just guessing at shit here.

Sometimes the vacuum valves can "feel" good without proper test gear but not really be up to spec.

I might not be much help. A lot of times it's not actual bad parts but carbon buildup in the upper intake. Some tiny like straightened paperclip and pipe cleaner size passages in there that get clogged up over time. But you just redid this whole thing so that's obvs not it.

Maybe hardened rubber hose/less than airtight seal if the exhaust end was just reattached with the old stuff?

Sometimes cleaning things good can make air gaps where the deterioration from old stuff used to help close them up.

Mostly just guessing at shit here.

Sometimes the vacuum valves can "feel" good without proper test gear but not really be up to spec.
Everything was cleaned. Everything.

Probably a vacuum leak or those solenoids

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Everything was cleaned. Everything.

Probably a vacuum leak or those solenoids

Tracking down vacuum leaks sucks.

Easiest way I've found is use a propane bottle torch. Old school knob valve. No fancy piezo igniter stuff. Don't light it. Just open the valve and put the nozzle on every connection there is. Ones that leak will suck some propane in the intake and the engine will speed up.

Engine idling obvs. Also outdoors only.

Tracking down vacuum leaks sucks.

Easiest way I've found is use a propane bottle torch. Old school knob valve. No fancy piezo igniter stuff. Don't light it. Just open the valve and put the nozzle on every connection there is. Ones that leak will suck some propane in the intake and the engine will speed up.

Engine idling obvs. Also outdoors only.
Shouldn't be that bad. There's like three different lines.

• Gravy
Allow me to introduce the latest addition to my fleet of weird old slow cars, the white turd (which takes its place amongst the yellow, red, silver, and blue turds). It's a 1995 Audi S6 Avant, with a 2.2L turbo 5 cylinder and a 5 speed.

This replaces the Cadillac that was stolen last September. After some soul searching, I came to the realization that a 450HP twin turbo Z car isn't the most practical daily driver.

Lily thinks it's awesome. I'm with her.

View attachment 6590
Why arent you taking the bus, are you a climate change denier?

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
BTW everyone that does their own oil changes should invest in a couple of these. So fucking nice. They stand up to make space, they have actual seals to prevent leaks when they slosh, they feel sturdy.

No shit, I appreciate having these more than this engine

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ntainer/42003/4379862?manufacturer=true&pos=3

I still use an old one of these that's basically a round drain pan with a concave top with a hole and plug in the middle and spout with a cap on it on the side.

Something the form of a jug I could see as being more convenient though for storing until you get in to recycle.

I still use an old one of these that's basically a round drain pan with a concave top with a hole and plug in the middle and spout with a cap on it on the side.

Something the form of a jug I could see as being more convenient though for storing until you get in to recycle.
Yeah, those are the kind I had till this.

• Gravy
Status
Not open for further replies.