Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tracking down vacuum leaks sucks.

Easiest way I've found is use a propane bottle torch. Old school knob valve. No fancy piezo igniter stuff. Don't light it. Just open the valve and put the nozzle on every connection there is. Ones that leak will suck some propane in the intake and the engine will speed up.

Engine idling obvs. Also outdoors only.

that is smart..... i have a scooter i've been trying to sell that got a vacuum leak someplace. I found a general area previously by spraying carb cleaner around, but thats really hard to track down and just damn messy. A propane torch with super low flow rate should be able to identify the area with a lot more precision.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
that is smart..... i have a scooter i've been trying to sell that got a vacuum leak someplace. I found a general area previously by spraying carb cleaner around, but thats really hard to track down and just damn messy. A propane torch with super low flow rate should be able to identify the area with a lot more precision.

I can't take credit for coming up with the idea but can verify it works well.

Tracking down vacuum leaks sucks.

Easiest way I've found is use a propane bottle torch. Old school knob valve. No fancy piezo igniter stuff. Don't light it. Just open the valve and put the nozzle on every connection there is. Ones that leak will suck some propane in the intake and the engine will speed up.

Engine idling obvs. Also outdoors only.
Damn good idea. Me like!

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I need to dump the PCV system on this Audi. It's an obnoxious vacuum leak (losing about 4" of vacuum at idle), and it's very, very German, in that it's got like 4 extraneous valves and at least 7 different hoses. It's a nightmare.

I'll probably rig a vented catch can, like in the Nissan.

Goodbye crappy transmission I didn't even want. Hello $200

G6sbulo.jpg

Dumb? Question.

To pack a tri bike in its case, you attach the tires to the case with a tire skewer, after taking them off the bike frame.

The skewers are all standard sizes but are too long for the tire hubs on @Mrs. Valve bike.

It’s just a rod with a threaded end and a quick release handle on the other.

There shouldn’t be any reason why I couldn’t cut the rod shorter and re thread it right?

I used a bunch of washers this time to fill in the gap so the tires were bolted in tightly.

I’d like something easier.

Dumb? Question.

To pack a tri bike in its case, you attach the tires to the case with a tire skewer, after taking them off the bike frame.

The skewers are all standard sizes but are too long for the tire hubs on @Mrs. Valve bike.

There shouldn’t be any reason why I couldn’t cut the rod shorter and re thread it right?

I used a bunch of washers this time to fill in the gap so the tires were bolted in tightly.

You could do that, but rethreading can be a pain if you dont have a starting thread. Any possibility you can replace it with something shorter from a shop?

Based on that description I don't see a problem.

Thread it down as far as you need to first. Leave the die on there. Cut the end. Then back the die off to clean up the threads.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
You could do that, but rethreading can be a pain if you dont have a starting thread. Any possibility you can replace it with something shorter from a shop?

Maybe. I’d have to see if the quick release is just screwed on or something else.

I imagine it’s a standard size threaded rod though, so I could probably buy a length of it and cut it down.

Maybe. I’d have to see if the quick release is just screwed on or something else.

I imagine it’s a standard size threaded rod though, so I could probably buy a length of it and cut it down.
Threaded rod from most hardwares will be mild steel and will bend like fuck. Hips nailed it - be sure to use plenty of oil while threading.

Dumb? Question.

rethreading rod can be tough depending on the size of the rod. Its not something you do with your hand tap and die set.

Status
Not open for further replies.