Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops

I don’t use the AC in the Quest.

When it started acting up, it was as though the compressor goes off on off on off on and the rpms go with it. It scared me so it’s been off for two years.

Oops

I don’t use the AC in the Quest.

When it started acting up, it was as though the compressor goes off on off on off on and the rpms go with it. It scared me so it’s been off for two years.

That could just be a pressure switch going bad. Don't know about your van but in this Ford you can replace those without opening the system.

Not saying that's what it is, just that it could be.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
I had a neighbor a few years ago that did a lot of work on this van. He had a repair garage he ran, which is a big no no in this area and he vanished overnight. He may have been “an illegal”. Replaced my serpentine belt for $100.

It’s probably simple, but not for this rube.

It's just a switch in the line (2 of them in 2 different lines actually) that cuts the power to the compressor (shuts the AC off) if the pressure gets too high or too low.

If the switch goes bad it can keep flipping it on and off like that.

You can jump across the switch and see if it runs normally but if it does that still doesn't mean the switch was the problem or the only problem. It could've been doing its job and now that you worked around it you gonna find the next weakest link which is probably something more expensive than the switch.

Changing the temperature of the environment can be some costly complicated shit yo. Especially when it comes to cooling instead of heating.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
It's just a switch in the line (2 of them in 2 different lines actually) that cuts the power to the compressor (shuts the AC off) if the pressure gets too high or too low.

If the switch goes bad it can keep flipping it on and off like that.

You can jump across the switch and see if it runs normally but if it does that still doesn't mean the switch was the problem or the only problem. It could've been doing its job and now that you worked around it you gonna find the next weakest link which is probably something more expensive than the switch.

Changing the temperature of the environment can be some costly complicated shit yo.
Could be the air conditioner clutch too. Damn those were loud in the Grand Marquis.

Wife says cold to the touch.

It 100% was the absolute worst time I've ever hit my finger(s)
Look! He's smiling!

... kinda

TgRI86o.jpg

OK, that adds to the pain in the ass.

If the chisel works, it works. I'd be concerned about hitting the end of the water pump shaft with a bunch of shear force but I don't know how heavy of a bang it takes to get yours loose.

I've run into loaner sets that have the wrench heads in a variety of sizes with no handles. Have to mount them on breaker bars, which can be a bit floppy but still get the job done if you can hold everything straight.

If you think you might have to do this more than once it might not be a bad idea to cut a set that fit your truck out of some plate. Don't have to be pretty, just grind flat enough the parts that matter. A future water pump replacement or anything that involves removing the fan (radiator or shroud?) will benefit from it.
After this I'm going electric, I think. Tired of dealing with this shit.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Took the GTO to the woodshed today, got to hang out with my daughter and my dad, which was pretty awesome.

GTO made about what I was expecting - 300HP and 425 lb-ft of torque. It's a bit rich, so I'll be jetting the secondaries down a few sizes.

• Gravy
Took the GTO to the woodshed today, got to hang out with my daughter and my dad, which was pretty awesome.

GTO made about what I was expecting - 300HP and 425 lb-ft of torque. It's a bit rich, so I'll be jetting the secondaries down a few sizes.

:furry:

Status
Not open for further replies.