Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever cleaned engine bits by "cooking" them? Gotta weld some aluminum and I know oil has soaked into the material. Was thinking of holding it at above the flash point of the oil for a couple hours to drive it out and bake it off.

Anyone ever cleaned engine bits by "cooking" them? Gotta weld some aluminum and I know oil has soaked into the material. Was thinking of holding it at above the flash point of the oil for a couple hours to drive it out and bake it off.
Tried, it doesn't work great, IMO.

With cast stuff, it tends to just polymerize into the pores, unless you get really, really high above the flash point.

I can do that. I've got access to kilns and other shit. At a certain point I'd worry about warpage as it cools
Yeah, I'd go for traditional solvent or abrasive-based methods of cleaning. If you've got to weld it anyway, you should probably be grinding out a clean channel for the filler rod to go into.

Yeah, I'd go for traditional solvent or abrasive-based methods of cleaning. If you've got to weld it anyway, you should probably be grinding out a clean channel for the filler rod to go into.
I'll be doing that, however I'm not removing all of the material around the channel, so the heat is going to drive something out.

Thanks for the reminder!

I was just doing dishes and it hit me that I should’ve tagged @Mr. Asa because there are some really nice old Mustangs in that clip also.
Thanks, but I've gotten to the point where I dislike watching barn find vids, or auctions. They never use the cars. They end up staying in that condition, or undergoing a complete resto and then staying in that condition

if you can, a solvent soak is the best bet. If its something huge, put in in a garbage bag, then put the minimum possible amount of the solvent (ensuring its not the kind that you know, eats garbage bags) and suck the air out to bring the solvent to every surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.