2A News

is a double-action pistol considered a semi-automatic weapon or is it in the same category as a revolver?
Automatic (or semi-automatic, they are essentially the same thing with slightly different mechanicals) means self acting, and with firearms that means 'self loading' for the most part.

So, with a revolver you have to cock the hammer to rotate the cylinder bring the next piece of ammunition to bear. DA revolvers essentially just connect the trigger so that when it's pulled the hammer cocks and the cylinder rotates and it fires.

Now pistols, semi auto, DA or SA, are self acting mechanisms. They all have to have a round chambered initially but when you fire it, they load the next round and/or cock the firing mechanism so that all you have to do is pull the trigger. [In a DA pistol, the trigger pull cocks the firing mechanism and fires all in one go. Usually why there are two distinct parts of the trigger pull]

The major difference is that one has to be manually operated and one is self acting. Hence, revolvers are not semi-auto.

Automatic (or semi-automatic, they are essentially the same thing with slightly different mechanicals) means self acting, and with firearms that means 'self loading' for the most part.

So, with a revolver you have to cock the hammer to rotate the cylinder bring the next piece of ammunition to bear. DA revolvers essentially just connect the trigger so that when it's pulled the hammer cocks and the cylinder rotates and it fires.

Now pistols, semi auto, DA or SA, are self acting mechanisms. They all have to have a round chambered initially but when you fire it, they load the next round and/or cock the firing mechanism so that all you have to do is pull the trigger. [In a DA pistol, the trigger pull cocks the firing mechanism and fires all in one go. Usually why there are two distinct parts of the trigger pull]

The major difference is that one has to be manually operated and one is self acting. Hence, revolvers are not semi-auto.

I know how it all works. I just wanted to know where they lump a double-action pistol. Like Chikken said, a revolver can be fired double-action, but it doesn's have a clip. So, with a ban on semi-automatic pistols, would a double-action handgun be banned because a clip pushes the bullet in to the chamber before the next trigger pull where as a revolver loads the bullet as you pull the trigger. Is the clip the determing factory?

Ridlle me this: If so, would a belt feed "revolver" be illegal, if no, then why haven't a seen one? Do I need to invent one? How many rounds could an average person fire with a belt fed revolver?

I know how it all works. I just wanted to know where they lump a double-action pistol. Like Chikken said, a revolver can be fired double-action, but it doesn's have a clip. So, with a ban on semi-automatic pistols, would a double-action handgun be banned because a clip pushes the bullet in to the chamber before the next trigger pull where as a revolver loads the bullet as you pull the trigger. Is the clip the determing factory?

Ridlle me this: If so, would a belt feed "revolver" be illegal, if no, then why haven't a seen one? Do I need to invent one? How many rounds could an average person fire with a belt fed revolver?
Aye you know how it works, but you missed my point :p One requires manual action, your finger provides the power to move the next round into position [the revolver], one does it by conservation of momentum [pistol].

Belt fed semi autos are still semi auto. Gatling guns on the other hand are not, since they are "manually" operated.

BUT, if you tie a shoelace to an M1 Carbine in such a way as to make it fire automatically: and you've committed a felony by manufacturing a machine gun

UNLESS that shoelace had been tied to the gun before 1981 and you registered it with the ATF.

1. magazine, not clip :p
2. this ban is for "assault weapons" and is being limited to rifles, shotguns and carbines/submachine guns. few pistols are banned
3. the whole point of a revolver/pistol is to be compact and easy to carry/use. a belt fed one would defeat that purpose....much like a deser eagle :lol:

I'm sure if the libs had their way they'd require all Glocks to be bolt-action.

tooloudtooquiet.jpg

1. magazine, not clip :p
2. this ban is for "assault weapons" and is being limited to rifles, shotguns and carbines/submachine guns. few pistols are banned
3. the whole point of a revolver/pistol is to be compact and easy to carry/use. a belt fed one would defeat that purpose....much like a deser eagle :lol:

it's not about "purpose". it's about having a belt fed revolver. You can't tell me that that wouldn't be awesome...

good thing my beloved P90 and M1 Garand are safe from this horrible bill.

Only because they probably don't know about the 90 yet. Don't think for a second it wouldn't be on there if they thought it was a threat to their clueless way of life.

good thing my beloved P90 and M1 Garand are safe from this horrible bill.
Reading comprehension?

(42) Pistol Grip- The term `pistol grip' means a grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other characteristic that can function as a grip.

ZOMG P90s have a thumbhole stock, and have a detachable magazine. That's one evil feature too many.

Not to mention this gem:

(L) A semiautomatic rifle or shotgun originally designed for military or law enforcement use, or a firearm based on the design of such a firearm, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General. In making the determination, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that a firearm procured for use by the United States military or any Federal law enforcement agency is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, and a firearm shall not be determined to be particularly suitable for sporting purposes solely because the firearm is suitable for use in a sporting event.'.

Which PS90s could be classed under.