Ontopic 2020 Eat Your Veggies - GARDEN THREAD

Got me a robot chicken cooker.

20201205_174947(2).jpg

Thinking about cutting some pieces to make it look like eyes, put some teeth in the door, and black out the sides of the ramp in the shape of a pointed or forked tongue.

• Gravy
  • Love
Reactions: OOD and wetwillie
I'll leave it to one of y'all to start a 2021 thread.

Never done this before but I started keeping an egg count from the last time I bought feed. Can figure out after a while what we're paying for eggs around here. Not that it matters really, just out of curiosity. It's really not about the price of eggs.

Spent $52.93 on chicken stuff 12/26/2020. We'll see how it goes.
Common for them to slow down in winter, cooler weather, shorter days, etc. but still getting a dozen a week or real close to it from 4 birds. That'll pick up again in a couple months.

There is cheaper feed out there but I get them some mixed bird seed for variety, some dried mealworms for treats, and pelletized commercial feed that's all non-gmo, antibiotic-free, all organic, blessed by a Hindu rabbi, and made from the blood of free-range virgins in the year of the rat while Aquarius is in the 7th house.

The eggs themselves are great, rich and flavorful. I just don't know what they cost. The plain cheap commercial ones from the store are pale and bland by comparison. Would have to get the expensive, certified organic, etc. ones to have something comparable so using that price as a yardstick I'm probably doing alright.

Paid $13 each for these birds but they weren't baby chicks. Mostly grown and started laying 1-1/2 to 2 months after purchase.

Doubt I have more than $100 into the setup if that. Mostly things like screws, staples, hinges, etc. All the wood and wire was free/scrounged/jobsite leftovers, etc. Certainly no more than $150 counting heat lamps and whatever odds and ends I've forgotten about.

Never done this before but I started keeping an egg count from the last time I bought feed. Can figure out after a while what we're paying for eggs around here. Not that it matters really, just out of curiosity. It's really not about the price of eggs.

Common for them to slow down in winter, cooler weather, shorter days, etc. but still getting a dozen a week or real close to it from 4 birds. That'll pick up again in a couple months.

There is cheaper feed out there but I get them some mixed bird seed for variety, some dried mealworms for treats, and pelletized commercial feed that's all non-gmo, antibiotic-free, all organic, blessed by a Hindu rabbi, and made from the blood of free-range virgins in the year of the rat while Aquarius is in the 7th house.

The eggs themselves are great, rich and flavorful. I just don't know what they cost. The plain cheap commercial ones from the store are pale and bland by comparison. Would have to get the expensive, certified organic, etc. ones to have something comparable so using that price as a yardstick I'm probably doing alright.

Paid $13 each for these birds but they weren't baby chicks. Mostly grown and started laying 1-1/2 to 2 months after purchase.

Doubt I have more than $100 into the setup if that. Mostly things like screws, staples, hinges, etc. All the wood and wire was free/scrounged/jobsite leftovers, etc. Certainly no more than $150 counting heat lamps and whatever odds and ends I've forgotten about.
Plus you gotta make sure they are eating well for the best eggs.

My 11 free-loaders cranked out 5 eggs today. Not bad for this time of year. I shut off their supplemental light, but they have the 8"X 40" strip of glass block even with their perches and a plexiglas window into their nesting boxes at opposite end. I'm gonna let them shut down for a break if they want. I've spent way too much on them. I can see I am going to rebuild their run in a major fashion.
The eggs are fun. We keep using 1-3 a day so we currently have 14 in that spiral holder. How'd your missus like that HIps?

I gave them more grass clippings off our compost pile for bedding today. Struck into a pumpkin that had gone a little bad. Decided the chickens could have it since it was stuck to the digging fork. :)

I think first person to stick a seed in some soil should start the new thread. :)

I’m going to buy some hoops for our raised beds. Got extra plastic leftover from the greenhouse build to cover them with.

Gonna get the root veggies in proper this year.

And I have to figure out power. A deep trench is out. Leaching field easement for the neighbors bunged that up.

So either solar, or I do a shallow trench with no permit and lay uf-b in it with a sprinkler line.

I’m going to buy some hoops for our raised beds. Got extra plastic leftover from the greenhouse build to cover them with.

And I have to figure out power. A deep trench is out. Leaching field easement for the neighbors bunged that up.

So either solar, or I do a shallow trench with no permit and lay uf-b in it with a sprinkler line.
Come on lad, just get a proper commercial grade extention cord, make sure you have a good working GFI to plug into and quit making a project of the power.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
We need to avoid it running across the lawn like the water hose does now.

It’s 150’
Good god, you're not going to need it during mowing season. Roll it up and put it away. Or mow to one side and move it over 10' then continue. We do the same thing with the water, the same distance. It may be 150' but really, how much juice are you going to be pulling through it? What a common, small 1500 watt heat? Don't worry Holmes, it only runs for 3-5 minutes then shuts off for an hour. 12 gauge cord(s) to do that run is like $75. Rest of the year you have some kick-ass cordage for the occasional job.

I wish we could have some. Our farmer friend charges $5/dozen.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer

I take it their definition of shallow/no permit required doesn't get you below the frost line?
Just blow out the sprinkler line if needed after you use it on the extreme ends of the growing season or over winter?

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
Good god, you're not going to need it during mowing season. Roll it up and put it away. Or mow to one side and move it over 10' then continue. We do the same thing with the water, the same distance. It may be 150' but really, how much juice are you going to be pulling through it? What a common, small 1500 watt heat? Don't worry Holmes, it only runs for 3-5 minutes then shuts off for an hour. 12 gauge cord(s) to do that run is like $75. Rest of the year you have some kick-ass cordage for the occasional job.

Doing it the right way, or at least a much better way, with some 8/3 in the ground might be a couple hundred bucks in wire but you only gotta do it once.

I picked up a little sub panel and outlet to put on the pole in back so I'm not screwing with extension cords running all over the place.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
I wish we could have some. Our farmer friend charges $5/dozen.

HOA deal or something?
City ordinance here says no hooved animals but all kinda people got chickens, some of them rabbits, ducks, geese, etc.

if you use rigid metal conduit with appropriate thhn or thwn conductors inside you can bury as shallow as 6 inches

Would uf-b just flex and stretch along with the frost heave or tear the casing or work it's way up out of the ground over time?
We don't do frost lines down here.