Ontopic 2020 Eat Your Veggies - GARDEN THREAD

Real question, Ed. Is that thing stable at least from a little inadvertent bump?
See them on Amazon for like $15. Wife would probably like it. But the base looks too small like it'd be tipsy.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I thought you were doing pretty good for yourself Eddie, never knew you guys were taping together a tablecloth from pieces.
Let me know if you need a little help, eh.
Those are placemats, you cretin. The tablecloth is underneath. The solid oak table made by hardworking Amish folk (allegedly) is under that.
The egg thingy seems stable enough. We'll find out - gotta crack a few eggs as they say. :)
Got another egg today - 50.1 grams. Officially a medium sized egg! Thanks anonymous Chicken #11. I suppose if only one is laying I could check their "vent" to see who's looking wet, "bologna-ed" and busted out - I got a chicken book with full diagrams!!!! But a girl's gotta have her secrets. I'll leave the hens alone.

• Haha
Reactions: HipHugHer
Those are placemats, you cretin. The tablecloth is underneath. The solid oak table made by hardworking Amish folk (allegedly) is under that.
The egg thingy seems stable enough. We'll find out - gotta crack a few eggs as they say. :)
Got another egg today - 50.1 grams. Officially a medium sized egg! Thanks anonymous Chicken #11. I suppose if only one is laying I could check their "vent" to see who's looking wet, "bologna-ed" and busted out - I got a chicken book with full diagrams!!!! But a girl's gotta have her secrets. I'll leave the hens alone.

Thanks. Probably get one of the egg things as a Christmas add-on/'nother box to open anyway.
Could fasten it to a larger wood base if need be.
Maybe finish it so it doesn't look too redneck....or not.

• Love

How fast do the eggs roll down that thing?
I got one that lays small eggs that aren't too oblong either. A little but not a lot. Wonder if it might not catch enough of a wobble and hit the bottom too fast.
If you put a golf ball in there you think it would hit bottom hard enough to crack if it was an egg?

This is why it sucks buying crap online. Maybe the fancy feed store has one on the shelf I can just bring a couple eggs with me.

The way they label stuff at the store the big one probably be considered a "large" egg or at least a heavy medium. Never weighed them on a dope scale.
The little one I might be able to color and pass off as a duck egg, pheasant egg, or maybe even quail egg to the nouveau granola free trade skinny jeans crowd.

20201125_174917_resize_72.jpg

I'd agree, our base is not as wide, but it doesn't seem tippy. hmm, will suck as it fills up. I suppose I will have to add something to the bottom. It's not for catching them as the roll out chicken, just for keeping them in line on the counter or table. We have a timer set - we're trying to time the chicken's egg production cycle. Total geezer, nothing better to do than track a chicken's hormo

• Gravy
Canada sizes are a few tenths of a gram lower for each size catagory - yeah, fatter American eggs!

Hips - I'm not rolling eggs down that friggin thing - Jesus, I had that toy when I was <5. I can picture what would happen, I don't need to test it. Again.:rolleyes:

The following egg masses including shell have been calculated on the basis of the USDA sizing:

Modern Sizes (US)
SizeMinimum mass per eggCooking Yield (Volume)[3]
Jumbo70.9 g2.5 oz.61 mL (4.75 tbsp)
Very Large or Extra-Large (XL)63.8 g2.25 oz.56 ml (4 tbsp)
Large (L)56.7 g2 oz.46 ml (3.25 tbsp)
Medium (M)49.6 g1.75 oz.43 ml (3 tbsp)
Small (S)42.5 g1.5 oz.
Peewee35.4 g1.25 oz.

I'd agree, our base is not as wide, but it doesn't seem tippy. hmm, will suck as it fills up. I suppose I will have to add something to the bottom. It's not for catching them as the roll out chicken, just for keeping them in line on the counter or table. We have a timer set - we're trying to time the chicken's egg production cycle. Total geezer, nothing better to do than track a chicken's hormo

I'm not concerned about the chickens it's the humans I live with that are.....less than graceful...to put it diplomatically. Hence the inquiry about stability.

Also if they don't roll down the thing like a tornado slide I'm kind of not seeing the point. Figured you put the new ones in the top and pull off the bottom to use, that way stock stays rotated and you get to watch them weeble-wobble down the track.

I'm not concerned about the chickens it's the humans I live with that are.....less than graceful...to put it diplomatically. Hence the inquiry about stability.

Also if they don't roll down the thing like a tornado slide I'm kind of not seeing the point. Figured you put the new ones in the top and pull off the bottom to use, that way stock stays rotated and you get to watch them weeble-wobble down the track.
MUST you roll them down the track, to see them weeble-wooble? FFS, you're almost 50!:mad: Like, if there is only one egg on it, do you have to roll the second one? Did you have to roll the first? I think the idea is when you pull the oldest off the bottom they all only scoot ahead about 1.5" - probably not gonna break any eggs from that.
I know, you just wanted to trigger me - mission accomplished.
And Happy Thanksgiving :)

• Haha
Thanks for taking that in stride hips.

So, I tried rolling an egg down. DOesn't work. Eggs dont wobble and they only slide a few inches and stop. Tried repeatedly, You can borrow mine if you want to give it a try. Then again, mine might be defective. :(

• Haha
Thanks for taking that in stride hips.

So, I tried rolling an egg down. DOesn't work. Eggs dont wobble and they only slide a few inches and stop. Tried repeatedly, You can borrow mine if you want to give it a try. Then again, mine might be defective. :(

Well it's a neat thing anyway, and it looks nice too.

Got a lot done on the greenhouse today. While it's like 50, breezy, and raining, oorah.
Finish up the last bits tomorrow and move all her plants in there.
Might dip into the 30s at night all this coming week, or so they say anyway.

• Gravy
No rain today, just everything wet, windier, and cooler. Suck it up buttercup.

Really ain't bad. Kind of stuff where you stay warm easy by keep moving around and working.

• Gravy
Got the first egg from one of the new birds yesterday. Won't be long and we'll be egg positive again.
Still gonna give em a little more time to grow all the way adult before moving them in with the others though.

• Love
3rd winter for this contraption.
Had to replace one board and tweak one door. Not bad for some mishmash scrounged/scrap lumber that gets taken apart and reassembled each year.

20201129_154421_resize_32.jpg

Yes those are shelf brackets holding the roof up. You may cringe now.

Easy way to just pull some screws and store the thing in flat sections you can manage, and not need a second person to help put it back together.
All it has to hold up is itself and a little plastic, and no gaps to deal with as their would be if the joists were sitting on top the walls. Makes it easy to wrap.
Deals with the wind fine. Between buildings and privacy fences and things it's not like it's sitting exposed on a Kansas prairie.

Stack one door full of furnace filters and the other full of box fans and you got yourself a paint booth.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
why take it down every year?

Winter here, or what most would consider going from late fall straight to early spring, only lasts from about Nov through Feb or early March.

Don't need a near garage size (8x14) building taking up space in the yard the rest of the year.

The place it goes, because of where sun/shade is, takes away use of a larger portion of the yard than just it's footprint.

Can basically grow 2 crops per year down here naturally, no need to extend growing season.

It's sole purpose is to keep all her tropical type and other potted plants, of which there are many, alive over "winter".
Keeping things up around 50f or at least very high 40s does that. Bunch of em will start to crash and die spending nights cooler than that, even if it's not cold enough to freeze water. The few times it does actually freeze would wipe out a whole lot of them.

Don't ask me what they all are, that's her department :) I just know what's needed for them to survive.

Can put it up and fill it up in 2 days, take it down in 1, and store it as flat sections along the fence or behind a shed or someplace out of the way.

It's just a typical city lot size backyard. Already got 2 storage sheds, an RV trailer, the chicken coop that's also the size of that greenhouse, firepit, bbq grills, and other random shit back there.

The place the greenhouse sits is near where/covers part of, where a garden would go the rest of the year but again, no need for more growing season than we already have.

Can plant in March, harvest June/July, plant again, and harvest October. Or stagger planting and have fresh stuff coming in for a few months straight.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and Domon