Ontopic 2020 Eat Your Veggies - GARDEN THREAD

Ordered the rest of the tomato and pepper plants we need for the garden from a local place that is doing curbside pickup.

We'll have 13 Tomato plants and 12 pepper plants.

Along with Spaghetti Squash, Butternuts, zucchini, yellow squash, peas, cukes, green beans

Shaping up to be a good garden year I hope.
Da fuq!! What kind of city garden lay-about are you?!! Ordering tomatoe and pepper plants when you have all that room AND a greenhouse? Come on, what happened to Pro Grade? Jesus, you may as well just order in groceries and let the pro's do the growing. Wrong thread, belongs in "Food", reported.

Da fuq!! What kind of city garden lay-about are you?!! Ordering tomatoe and pepper plants when you have all that room AND a greenhouse? Come on, what happened to Pro Grade? Jesus, you may as well just order in groceries and let the pro's do the growing. Wrong thread, belongs in "Food", reported.

we just built the greenhouse. :lol:

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
we just built the greenhouse. :lol:
The plants would have been started inside. May as well start them where it is already reasonably warm. Hey, I'm mainly just hassling you, starting plants is an additional hassle not everyone has time or inclination for. And different years and shit can throw any of us off our game , e.g. Domon was sick for start of sprouting season.

Peas - my last frost date in Michigan is about 3 weeks later than yours(Maryland). Conventional wisdom here is to plant peas St. Patrick's DAy, if the ground isn't frozen or covered with snow so I figure you would have planted by then or up to 2 weeks earlier. They can take being frozen while sprouting. About the only way to get them out of the way by June 1st so you can use the garden space for something else. *Suggest momma read up on peas and save her seeds for next year.

The plants would have been started inside. May as well start them where it is already reasonably warm. Hey, I'm mainly just hassling you, starting plants is an additional hassle not everyone has time or inclination for. And different years and shit can throw any of us off our game , e.g. Domon was sick for start of sprouting season.

Peas - my last frost date in Michigan is about 3 weeks later than yours(Maryland). Conventional wisdom here is to plant peas St. Patrick's DAy, if the ground isn't frozen or covered with snow so I figure you would have planted by then or up to 2 weeks earlier. They can take being frozen while sprouting. About the only way to get them out of the way by June 1st so you can use the garden space for something else. *Suggest momma read up on peas and save her seeds for next year.

We haven’t had good luck starting stuff for a variety of reasons in the past.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Would you guys put down a barrier like a tarp or something at the bottom of my way behind schedule raised bed or just pile everything on the ground?
There's enough shit it could end up a couple feet deep. At least 18" or so.

Meaning isolate from the ground to control everything. Can make drain holes low on the sides. Never actually done a raised before. Always just planted in the ground but the dirt here is worthless.

Would you guys put down a barrier like a tarp or something at the bottom of my way behind schedule raised bed or just pile everything on the ground?

Meaning isolate from the ground to control everything. Can make drain holes low on the sides. Never actually done a raised before. Always just planted in the ground but the dirt here is worthless.
Don't bother with the barrier. Nature doesn't rely on a barrier. Plus you don't want to fuck up the drainage.

Don't bother with the barrier. Nature doesn't rely on a barrier. Plus you don't want to fuck up the drainage.
Thanks. Retaining moisture a bigger deal than drainage where I'm at but still didn't really seem necessary. Cardboard on top should keep things from getting baked dry.

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL and wetwillie

18 inches deep, nah. Nothing is gonna grow up from the ground though that. You will want drainage holes or a way for the water to get out though

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
18 inches deep, nah. Nothing is gonna grow up from the ground though that. You will want drainage holes or a way for the water to get out though

Thanks. Very slight slope. Putting some drain holes on the downhill side though the ground is probably rocky/gravely enough as it is. More concerned with continuous 100 degree days. What rain might come would usually be a line of storms, dump a bunch in a short time that runs away. Not the long soaking sort of rains.

Usually position things for morning/midday sun here with some shade moving over later afternoons so things don't just bake to a crisp.

@wetwille any chance you'd be down to share a slant/plate of that lion's mane?
Wow, finally someone who knows mushrooms!! You know, I used to do it all, from spores forward but then I took all my mushroom shit(9'X16' hut) apart and took a break. Now I am just buying grain spawn(North Spore) and going straight to wood pellets or hay(really preferring the wood pellet). You know, I'll look if I have some agar left, I have some petris so yeah, maybe I could do that. My bags are pretty much spent, I've been taking summers off from mushrooms too. Too warm to get good flushes.

• Gravy
Reactions: CletusJones
Wow, finally someone who knows mushrooms!! You know, I used to do it all, from spores forward but then I took all my mushroom shit(9'X16' hut) apart and took a break. Now I am just buying grain spawn(North Spore) and going straight to wood pellets or hay(really preferring the wood pellet). You know, I'll look if I have some agar left, I have some petris so yeah, maybe I could do that. My bags are pretty much spent, I've been taking summers off from mushrooms too. Too warm to get good flushes.
LOL yeah it's pretty uncommon to come across. It's a really rewarding hobby that appeals to my meticulous nature. I'm just getting back into it since I've got a basement that's 71F all year round now, been a few years.

I think the kids got bored of the science but they were amazed when the first fruits happened. Really looking forward to seeing my outdoor winecap bed come up this year

Would be awesome if you end up being able to share but if not I understand.

LOL yeah it's pretty uncommon to come across. It's a really rewarding hobby that appeals to my meticulous nature. I'm just getting back into it since I've got a basement that's 71F all year round now, been a few years.

I think the kids got bored of the science but they were amazed when the first fruits happened. Really looking forward to seeing my outdoor winecap bed come up this year

Would be awesome if you end up being able to share but if not I understand.
Hey, these bags have no contam, I could always fill you a filter bag of 4-5 lbs. Where you at?
It's a meticulous hobby but we like it too. I do Oysters and Lion's Mane in the fall and dry them or saute and vacuum seal, then switch to lion's Mane and Beech right after that. I had pretty good luck on wild picking last year, about a 10 lb(picked) maitake and a few lbs. of Oysters. All at old super old cemeteries, growing on the trees. I just drive through at like 3-4 mph with my tunes going and my binoculars on my lap. 🎶

Hey, these bags have no contam, I could always fill you a filter bag of 4-5 lbs. Where you at?
It's a meticulous hobby but we like it too. I do Oysters and Lion's Mane in the fall and dry them or saute and vacuum seal, then switch to lion's Mane and Beech right after that. I had pretty good luck on wild picking last year, about a 10 lb(picked) maitake and a few lbs. of Oysters. All at old super old cemeteries, growing on the trees. I just drive through at like 3-4 mph with my tunes going and my binoculars on my lap. 🎶
I'm in central IL, so if priority mail is still running a flat rate box should get it here quick enough. I've got a PO box so it won't sit outside in the weather.

Never wild picked, I don't trust myself to positively ID yet. Local guy said I could go morel hunting with him this year so fingers crossed

I'm in central IL, so if priority mail is still running a flat rate box should get it here quick enough. I've got a PO box so it won't sit outside in the weather.

Never wild picked, I don't trust myself to positively ID yet. Local guy said I could go morel hunting with him this year so fingers crossed
If you've grown Oyster mushrooms you should be able to ID those safely, I think. Maitake, Chicken of the Woods, Turkey Tail, Lion's Mane and puffballs when big enough are all super safe too. I picked a nice head sized puffball 2 summers ago. Picture bottom of this page.