Ontopic 2020 Eat Your Veggies - GARDEN THREAD

Doesn't seem like much work to me after you're set up for it, though it can be a good bit of work getting yourself to that point.

Need a coop though it doesn't have to be large. And a fenced in place to run, including the top because Hawks, owls, etc. And down into the ground for things that dig if you want to keep them completely protected.

You can just let them roam free and they'll come back to the coop or wherever they roost at night but you will lose some to predators, neighbors dogs, etc.

Once everything is established they take care of themselves pretty well, not much fuss at all.

Some tips.....

- don't use chicken wire for chickens, use 1/2" pattern "hardware cloth" or other small pattern wire. Raccoons can reach through the holes in chicken wire and grab them.

-. When/if you add new birds to the flock, have a place to quarantine and monitor them for 30 days first so you don't inadvertently bring in some disease/infection and spread it to all of them.

-. If you only have a few birds, look up what a "chicken tractor" is, see if that interests you. Can move them around the yard so they have fresh ground to peck at. And it's not a "permanent structure" if there's some building code thing that applies.

-. Go to www.backyardchickens.com and start reading. Everything you'll ever need to know there.
I LOVE the chicken tractor idea. When I was on my "get some goats" dream I was planning something like that. I'm not giving up on the idea. Fuckers, can't believe they did that shit!!

I hear you on the hawks and the digging fucks.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I LOVE the chicken tractor idea. When I was on my "get some goats" dream I was planning something like that. I'm not giving up on the idea. Fuckers, can't believe they did that shit!!

I hear you on the hawks and the digging fucks.

If you want to spend a little money to save some labor an electric fence wire an inch or 2 off the ground will keep the digging critters out without having to trench the fence into the ground.
They make solar ones you can mount on the tractor, keep it mobile, not have to run power to it.

If you want some chicks now check the farm/ag section of Craigslist and any other sites where local farmers buy/sell/trade, like the modern version of the old "green sheet" classified ad papers that used to be distributed in rural areas. There will be people out there raising and selling.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Also you can use regular chicken wire (it's cheaper) on the roof and high parts of the walls but get the small pattern stuff for the first 3 feet up from the ground and anywhere else the birds can get up on something and end up within trash panda arms reach of a wall.

Also helps keep out snakes that are big enough to eat your eggs. Little tiny baby snakes the chickens will go after, try to steal from each other, end up ripping apart, and eating.

• Gravy
hmmm, peppers usually take about 14 days to come up Yup, that's about right.
Seriously, that might be good for you.
You feeling better?
Today is a little worse. I mean all in all I don't feel bad at all. Any year that wasn't a pandemic I'd just be going about my regular activities. This is mostly about not getting my family sick. We are super screwed if both my wife and I end up really sick at the same time. So best case she doesn't get such at all, second best, I'm better by the time she's sick and she can isolate while I watch the kiddos

Today is a little worse. I mean all in all I don't feel bad at all. Any year that wasn't a pandemic I'd just be going about my regular activities. This is mostly about not getting my family sick. We are super screwed if both my wife and I end up really sick at the same time. So best case she doesn't get such at all, second best, I'm better by the time she's sick and she can isolate while I watch the kiddos
Damn, sorry. But yeah, that's really the plan we are all supposed to get with. Do our part in not getting sick and not getting other's sick if we do, so we don't have too many people sick at once. Wishing the best for you and yours man.🤜🤛

Last edited:
My tomatoes that I didn’t plant are starting to ripen. All the herbs went to seed. Now I have half a small bed to put a few other plants in. My kids are voting pumpkins.

• Gravy
If you like pumpkins seeds, without the woody shell, Pepitas pumpkins are great. Not terribly big thought, probably 10-12" is tops.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly