Food 2019 Amateur Farm and Garden thread

5% Ermagard, spreading disease and invasive species all over the place. Holy fuck!!
Oh goodness, I hope not. I've been buying online stuff zoned for our area. Stuff that the local university has documentation on.... But I see what you mean.

Oh goodness, I hope not. I've been buying online stuff zoned for our area. Stuff that the local university has documentation on.... But I see what you mean.
Its rampant. Certain pine trees aren't supposed to be brought to Michigan, citrus trees are not supposed to be sent to FLorida or Cali willy-nilly. If you get nursery catalogs you see the notations " can't be shipped to states X, X and X". Small sellers on Etsy don't care about that shit. We have a more recent invader here - hogweed. Looks like Queen's Ann's Lace, give you some nasty skin irritation like poison ivy. FFS
Confession: I've bought seeds on ebay which is just as bad, to get weird varieties of stuff from Asia and elsewhere.o_O

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and APRIL
Its rampant. Certain pine trees aren't supposed to be brought to Michigan, citrus trees are not supposed to be sent to FLorida or Cali willy-nilly. If you get nursery catalogs you see the notations " can't be shipped to states X, X and X". Small sellers on Etsy don't care about that shit. We have a more recent invader here - hogweed. Looks like Queen's Ann's Lace, give you some nasty skin irritation like poison ivy. FFS
Confession: I've bought seeds on ebay which is just as bad, to get weird varieties of stuff from Asia and elsewhere.o_O
This whole region is covered in Kudzu.
Out west it's Japanese Knot Weed.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
FUcking cold ass Michigan. We had 79f/26c degrees, one day, for maybe 2 hours this month. 21 rain days in May. Probably gonna beat that this month. Fuuuuuccckkk. Looking ahead we may not even hit 80f/27c. this month either.
So, my garden is all in place, plants all in and looking good but just sitting there growing at glacial speeds because it's been so f'n cold.

FUcking cold ass Michigan. We had 79f/26c degrees, one day, for maybe 2 hours this month. 21 rain days in May. Probably gonna beat that this month. Fuuuuuccckkk. Looking ahead we may not even hit 80f/27c. this month either.
So, my garden is all in place, plants all in and looking good but just sitting there growing at glacial speeds because it's been so f'n cold.

You have switched with Oregon. We have had zero rain this month and a few high 80- low 90° days. Very unusual.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
190617706IMG3182.jpg

My yard came out lovely.

• Gravy
  • Love
Reactions: APRIL and wetwillie
This would be a perfect opportunity for a woodchuck surprise attack, Eddie!!
Stay vigilant! Stay awake! Stay alive!
I think they have all drowned in their holes. Seriously, haven't seen one this year. ;) I did hit them pretty hard last year. :egads:
Add: ran over dozens of voles while mowing our field Saturday. A few tried to run - they just died tired.

Last edited:
Fun fact

I’ve slain several gophers using Juicy Fruit gum. Chew it enough to make it fragrant and toss em in the holes. They can’t digest it, and I assume they die in the most unpleasant way and bury themselves by not reappearing.

• Barf
Reactions: nukes
This summer has actually been pretty fantastic. A couple days of 108 but now we are back down into low 100s/high 90s. I think we only had 2-3 3 digit degree days in May which is completely abnormal.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh