Thread Your Cream Gayrodge

this in the garage. gulfstream g650
G650_Exterior01.jpg

this in the driveway. porsche 959
porsche-959-1.jpg

I am stunned and pleasantly surprised something like the Falcon which looks like an aftermarket part magnet driving past a Walmart and a tuner would be a factory option package. And please tell the initials stand for Get The Hell Out. I love how macho they made it with the "XY" title, akin to Volvo's male symbol in the logo.

Why not the phase II? :fly:

That was the fashion back then for muscle cars.
GTHO stands for Grand Tourer High Output. And the XY is just the series ID.
There was a phase 2, and a phase 1. They just weren't as good as the phase 3.

That was the fashion back then for muscle cars.
GTHO stands for Grand Tourer High Output. And the XY is just the series ID.
There was a phase 2, and a phase 1. They just weren't as good as the phase 3.

Actually
The "HO" portion of the name stood for "Handling Option"

I still love the concept of throwing to the market specific model changes to other specific model changes to a customized product line from the factory. Getting down the level of that granularity with certain option packages on top of the Phase III checkbox, you are almost making a one-off car.

I'm thinking I might swap my Cooper S for a Metro 6R4. A 3litre V6 ( eventually turbocharged) in a 1000kg car. Capable of over 700bhp. With the sort of roadholding such a small car has, just imagine how easily you could rip your face off on corners.

metro_001_large.jpg

Why is it funny? The option included upgraded suspension bits. The Phase 3 part was the massive engine upgrades.

Because it's like putting lipstick on a pig. It's still a big 4 door sedan, and will never handle all that great no matter what you do to it shy of cutting large amounts of weight from it.

You do know how often it rains here don't you . I need a roof dammit.

edit. Just checked the Atoms specs and I'd want to change the gear ratios. The metro was close ratio so would out accelerate the Atom easily but maybe beaten over top speed. I'd happily sacrifice the top end. The atom is 2.9 secs 0-60. The unaspirated 400bhp metro was 3 seconds. God only knows what the 700bhp turbo would do.

Last edited:
Because it's like putting lipstick on a pig. It's still a big 4 door sedan, and will never handle all that great no matter what you do to it shy of cutting large amounts of weight from it.

Might as well improve it from "absolutely awful" to "better than before and can now go around a shopping center".

On a 'awesome' car point. In one evening I saw 3 different McLaren F1s once. One in the Park Lane showroom, another going past at the same time, then a third later on. What are the odds.