Ontopic WTB, WTT: Organs. Fresh squeezed.

the doctor doesnt make the decision. You die, then they take your organs.

Theyre independent events.
The interesting thing is... is when are you truly dead? When is the moment of death?

Stopping the heart doesn't mean your dead.

Not breathing doesn't mean you're dead.

This documentary is neat and thought provoking.

Last edited by a moderator:
The interesting thing is... is when are you truly dead? When is the moment of death?

Stopping the heart doesn't mean your dead.

Not breathing doesn't mean you're dead.

This documentary is neat and thought provoking.

After about 1/2 hour they usually stop. Because having a tube breathe and feed you also doesn't mean you're alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Legally, the doctor makes the decision as to whether you are dead or not.

let me correct my statement. The doctor doesnt make the decision to keep you alive, or to let you die. If its ever a question as to whether you can be kept alive, you are kept alive.

After about 1/2 hour they usually stop. Because having a tube breathe and feed you also doesn't mean you're alive.
Watch the documentary (download the whole thing) It has some great information.

Death isn't a precise moment.

You'd think.

ok tin-foil-hat-lady.

The doctors are all out to get you, and will benefit personally from your death. Theres a massive underground conspiracy of doctors killing people to steal their organs.

You've read one too many Robin Cook books.

ok tin-foil-hat-lady.

The doctors are all out to get you, and will benefit personally from your death. Theres a massive underground conspiracy of doctors killing people to steal their organs.

You've read one too many Robin Cook books.
Okay now you're being dramatic. Are you saying its not possible? Because there have been many instances where it has happened... and then there are the instances no one was caught.

Not going to go deep into the argument on when death occurs. I can tell you for sure that when my mom died it was not something that a doctor had to tell us. It was pretty darn accurate. In times of accidents and even illnesses the family has the right to keep a patient going, so those with strong family support rely on that more than a doctor even.

I won't say much more other than that.

As for paying for organs, I can tell you for sure that my friend who had a kidney transplant would have paid big time for his organ. Heck we all would. Donating an organ is really not simple at all (living donations like kidneys) and there are risks to the person donating as well. I sincerely doubt paying someone to do it would help unless we are talking substantial amounts. And I mean double digits if not more - along the lines of fees for surrogates for pregnancy. It's not an easy thing to do and I admit I wouldn't do it for just anyone - even for a small amount of money. It is risky to do.

After death, yeah it wouldn't help to get more donations at all.