Would you treat homosexuality if it were as simple as a pill?

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
So I was reading some news stories and I came across some interesting research in the origins of homosexuality.

First let me start off by saying the implications of the argument about nature-vs-nuture are vital to civil rights of homosexuals. Rights are supposed to be given to everyone equally, but what if you had a choice? For instance, a murderer has the choice to kill, but when he/she does, they lose their rights. Blacks and women and latinos and any other citizen of the US has full rights (or supposed to anyway) because they don't have a choice in the matter. Well Michael Jackson has a choice apparently.

The true question is what causes homosexuality and if it is environmental or training cues or something biological within the being or a combination that causes it. If it is nature (genetic mutations, hormone imbalences, etc) then one cannot really prevent or choose that way of life, but rather it is natural and ingrained into the being similar to handedness or skin color. If, however, one was brought up in a family that stifled femininity and that individual is reacting by being effeminate now because of that upbringing, that is a choice (albeit subconscious) that individual is making. The argument is that in the first case, rights should be granted. In the second case, however, it is a bit more complicated.

Now, back to the research I read.

One of the studies shows that homosexual men have similar brain structures as heterosexual women and that homosexual women have similar brain structures as heterosexual men.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080616/lf_nm_life/brain_gay_dc

This interesting because this could be caused by prenetal development AND the upbringing because of the prenetal precursors. But there is obviously a physical connection to homosexuality.

Also, I was reading an article that found birthing order has more to do with sexual orientation. The more older brothers an individual has, the more likely the youngest will be homosexual.

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/103/28/10531

This also makes an interesting argument about the biological triggers in place for homosexuality.

But this poses a question (wow, finally the point of this thread). What it is treatable? What if a mother can take a pill with the right cocktail of hormones and such to prevent the birthing order issues? What if training the child who is now "cured" from the womb was raised more in line with teaches successfully geared to raise heterosexual beings? What about fertility clinics where you can pick the gender of the child, can you also pick the fetus/egg that doesn't have the precursor genetic code for the "gay brain structure"?

Would you cure homosexuality if it was as simple as not grounding the kid when he/she plays with a doll and taking a daily pill while pregnant?

Some gayness is a choice, but that's superficial gayness, not true gayness. True gayness is biological. Look at elpmis as an example of the former and fly as an example of the latter.

Last edited:
I don't care what you do with your sex life. It's none of my business, it's very much your business. So no, I probably wouldn't "treat" it with a pill. On the other hand, if people want to take a pill, it is none of my business.

Some gayness is a choice, but that's superficial gayness, not true gayness. True gayness is biological.

Would you cure either kind? If it is "curable", how does that play with civil rights?

Downs' Syndrome is biological 100% and yet they cannot vote, nor get married legally. There are civil rights and liberties some people with biological "ailments" cannot be a part of. Would homosexuality (more exactly marriage) be part of that?

I don't care what you do with your sex life. It's none of my business, it's very much your business. So no, I probably wouldn't "treat" it with a pill. On the other hand, if people want to take a pill, it is none of my business.

Wouldn't curing the problem be better than killing it, oh West Virginian boy?

If a pill becomes available to cure gayness, people had better be prepared for the repercussions. Namely a massively overpopulated planet with far lower standards of fashion and design.

Wouldn't curing the problem be better than killing it, oh West Virginian boy?

Why do you assume it is an ailment? Just because a bunch of people that shouldn't have the right to stigmatize homosexuality say it is an ailment?

Why do you assume it is an ailment? Just because a bunch of people that shouldn't have the right to stigmatize homosexuality say it is an ailment?

It is a biologically negative effect. You cannot propagate the species with a homosexual "condition". Correcting this would be akin to women taking fertility pills.

It is a biologically negative effect. You cannot propagate the species with a homosexual "condition". Correcting this would be akin to women taking fertility pills.

Taking fertility pills is a personal choice.

Would you cure either kind? If it is "curable", how does that play with civil rights?

Downs' Syndrome is biological 100% and yet they cannot vote, nor get married legally. There are civil rights and liberties some people with biological "ailments" cannot be a part of. Would homosexuality (more exactly marriage) be part of that?

No, i wouldn't cure either kind. First of all people are free to choose who they are attracted to, so superficial gayness is a non-issue, unless you're the type of person who worships 2,000-year-old books. In that case you should be launched into the sun anyway out of spite, so your beliefs don't matter.

Second of all biological gayness is no different than biological straightness. The elements are exactly the same, only one involves breeding and quite frankly who gives a shit about that anyway? If you're going to get hung up on that trivial of an issue then you should board the sun shuttle with the aforementioned booktards.

The fact that homosexuality is even a topic of concern for some makes me want to burn the planet down. Too many people have lost sight of what is important. Instead of creating a better, less polluted world for our kids to live in we've decided to pin a certain relevance on who is attracted to whom. The absurdity of that cannot be quantified.

So long as there are sufficient, viable, breeding specimens there is no such thing as a biologically negative effect of homosexuality.

1) There are more possible mates for the strongest breedings males.
2) Human homosexuals contribute to a society that supports its breeding members

Would you cure homosexuality if it was as simple as not grounding the kid when he/she plays with a doll and taking a daily pill while pregnant?

No. Taking a pill that isn't going to make my child any healthier is not something I'd ever do. To me, it matters not so much what orientation my son or daughter would be, so long as they would be healthy and happy. I wouldn't see a difference, I would simply hope that they find love, period. Pills that could prevent future diseases would be great though.

Well, lets say that homosexuality is a "condition" and somewhere down the line there is a therapy developed with which to prevent it. I would imagine it would run along the same lines as any other genetic manipulation. In essence breeding out perceived flaws in the human race. This can go beyond homosexuality to embrace females, short people, dark skinned people, hell, everything that Hitler despised to be honest.

Sure we could do that, and lets face it, many people would be on board for that. I bet even in this small internet community people would be willing to subject their potentially conceived embryos to "treatment" in order to prevent "defects". The question is, what is a defect?

I mean really, David, your "gay" threads are interesting and thought provoking but I can't help to always pick up a note of self loathing in them. So, let me ask YOU... if there was a "treatment" for homosexuality available when you were inutero... do you wish your parents would have administered it to you?