Who wants to start a pool on energy prices?

wr3kt said:
My predicitions:
Oil - Peak at $77 over the summer
Gas - National average of $3.50
Natural gas - Increase at least 20%
Electricity - Increase maybe 10-15% during the summer and might actually and stay there.

Oil - Peak $65 tops. OPEC understands that the current infrastructure cannot support more than $3/gal for very long, they won't jump the prices up that high that fast. This estimate changes the second Isreal bombs the crap out of Iran of course.
Gas - At $3.25 Dubya is going to open the American Oil Reserves to hopefully stabilize prices. If this happens expect to see ANWR expeditions within the week.
Natural Gas - Increase of no more than 15%. Just because.
Electricity - Meh, you guys should thank god you don't have to deal with Baltimore Gas and Electric. They are 'merging' with Consellation, and are 'phasing in' new billing practices over the course of the next 4-6 months. The average electric bill is expected to increase by 77%.

Meh, just thinking about this makes me happy I'm moving to be closer to work. At the current 16mpg that my '99 V8 Explorer gets I'll have to fill my tank once every 2 weeks. That's right, envy me bishes.

(now to find somewhere to put the bike so I can commute on that, one 3 gallon tank every 9 days sounds super sweet, even if it is premium)

reverendsaintjay said:
Oil - Peak $65 tops. OPEC understands that the current infrastructure cannot support more than $3/gal for very long, they won't jump the prices up that high that fast. This estimate changes the second Isreal bombs the crap out of Iran of course.
Gas - At $3.25 Dubya is going to open the American Oil Reserves to hopefully stabilize prices. If this happens expect to see ANWR expeditions within the week.
Electricity - Meh, you guys should thank god you don't have to deal with Baltimore Gas and Electric. They are 'merging' with Consellation, and are 'phasing in' new billing practices over the course of the next 4-6 months. The average electric bill is expected to increase by 77%.

Meh, just thinking about this makes me happy I'm moving to be closer to work. At the current 16mpg that my '99 V8 Explorer gets I'll have to fill my tank once every 2 weeks. That's right, envy me bishes.

(now to find somewhere to put the bike so I can commute on that, one 3 gallon tank every 9 days sounds super sweet, even if it is premium)

get a Civic and be done with it.

reverendsaintjay said:

Oil has been over 65 for the last few months. It's at 68+ and climbing currently. :p
The government reaps massive profits from gas prices. It's free money.

SpangeMonkee said:
get a Civic and be done with it.

The sad part is that a Civic (or any other green-esque car) is now officially more expensive to operate than my gas-guzzling beast. If it makes it any better, the money I'm saving by moving closer to work is going into the fund to get a decent sized car in '07.

wr3kt said:
Oil has been over 65 for the last few months. It's at 68+ and climbing currently. :p
The government reaps massive profits from gas prices. It's free money.

Pwnage duly noted. :bow:

reverendsaintjay said:
The sad part is that a Civic (or any other green-esque car) is now officially more expensive to operate than my gas-guzzling beast. If it makes it any better, the money I'm saving by moving closer to work is going into the fund to get a decent sized car in '07.

Are you talking about the hybrid Civic or the regular Civic? If the latter, how is it more expensive to operate?

fly said:
Hybrid cars are a joke right now. It takes 5+ years to see any savings...

Well That's also why I can understand if that's what he meant. But if he just means regular Civics, that's where I was curious. Regular Civics get up to 40+ a gallon now which is why I was asking.

Prediction - Here in Florida we'll see $3.10 by July maybe even $3.25. We will breathe a sigh of relief when prices fall back down to $2.70 in the fall.
Electricty - I've already seen a 20% increase, probably get hit w/ another 10% over the summer.
Inflation - Overall were going to see a rather large increase in inflation over the course of this year brought on by the fuel prices. Expect to pay alot more for your groceries and clothes this fall.

In response to increaing gas prices I will be sending out a rate increase letter to my clients. They may balk, but I'l still be the cheapest game in town for their tech support.

Smaller cars - if your current car is paid for and gets decent mileage, say 20+mpg, you are better off just keeping it, as the increase in fuel efficeny is only going to save you a few hundred dollars a year. Line that savings up against car payments and interest, you lose $$ to save on gas.

Now for me I'm may need to spend the money getting my car worked on. I'm losing compression in the #1 cylinder so I'm just wasting the gas that goes into it. So maybe a decent cost saver for most people w/ a late model car would be some maintenance/tune up on their vehicles.

reverendsaintjay said:

What kinda crack are you smoking? Even if it was a hybrid, it would still be cheaper to operate. Though, a standard Civic is your best choice 30-40mpg and it has one of the highest dependability rating over all other cars. My '94 Civic (previously my wife's) has 182K miles and still gets 35mpg. The operating cost of the car over a month, year or lifetime is WAAAAAAY cheaper than any SUV.

Coqui said:
Well That's also why I can understand if that's what he meant. But if he just means regular Civics, that's where I was curious. Regular Civics get up to 40+ a gallon now which is why I was asking.
I don't know about 40+

My best friend drives a '05 Civic, he only approaches 40 mpg on the highway. He regularly sees 25 - 30 around town though. My little Daytona gets on average 27mpg combined city/highway. Not bad for being 20 years old, and it's quicker than his Civic too.

CletusJones said:
I don't know about 40+

My best friend drives a '05 Civic, he only approaches 40 mpg on the highway. He regularly sees 25 - 30 around town though. My little Daytona gets on average 27mpg combined city/highway. Not bad for being 20 years old, and it's quicker than his Civic too.

Well I meant highway with that number. Again, I was talking about the costs to operate not about the gas. although the 25 is a little low I would assume. I get that city and I'm in a V6 Accord.

Coqui said:
Well I meant highway with that number. Again, I was talking about the costs to operate not about the gas. although the 25 is a little low I would assume. I get that city and I'm in a V6 Accord.
With the little 1.8 VTEC (OOH YEAH) motor he's got, you have to rev the shit out of it to get it to go anywhere. It's sad really. I shift at 4k usually and he doesn't start making power until then.

15mpg is worth it when you can do this

DSC06256.JPG

yeah, it could have definately been cleaner. Still not too bad though.

You going to get another one? I was tossing the idea (getting a 240) around but came across my Daytona for a steal so I picked it up instead. I'm going yarding this weekend to look for a common block for a turbo motor buildup :D

I'd like to but I don't think I have time for a project car these days :( school, work, mma training, more school, searching for additional income, etc. I've got too much on my plate right now....besides, I kinda want to turn my garage into a gym :o

Daytonas are awesome :cool: