GAY Who are the Flatboi Downs - Part III

Another one almost done. Keeping this one, not for sale. Barrels are extremely well regulated and the trigger is the finest thing you'll ever pull. 70-75 years of rubbing parts together will do that. Wish I did before pics. Surface rusted to shit but still mechanically strong. Multiple stock cracks. Selector inop., would only fire the lower barrel, etc. Bunch of little stuff but you could tell the important stuff was good just needed some care.

20220212_212133_HDR_(1).jpg

20220212_212034_(1).jpg

Just paint and stain nothing fancy, these things were always considered utility tools not heirlooms. Something a farmer would leave in the barn or by the back door for pests, varmints, etc.

Yes that's painter's tape holding the rear sight on. Got some repro replacement thing that doesn't fit the dovetail tight at all, real floppy, but got marked where it needs to be so can just epoxy it in and shoot straight and true.

Have a mockup/pattern made to bend a trigger guard out of a strip of 1/8" plate steel. Made it so I can fit a fat finger with a glove around it in there and still have some wiggle room 'cause it doesn't take much to make it go. It's still safe but real easy to fire. I wouldn't just hand it to somebody without a brief explanation and a couple practice shots, lol.

That's about it other than dulling it up a bit, it's too shiny.

And putting my signature light green dots of nail polish on the IRON SIGHTS for my old eyes.

• Gravy
Reactions: Strings
Ready for battle.
Against small to medium size creatures but only if they're pretty close and only come one at a time.

20220213_005135_(1).jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: Strings
Literally cant tell what it is... Marlin something?
Old Stevens 22/410 over-under. Basically one shot each of the weakest rifle and the weakest shotgun available, lol.

Don't know why I have a soft spot for them but I do. After 1950 they became the Savage model 24 and started getting offered in more powerful calibers. 30-30 over 20 guage, etc.
I like the little ones.

Old Stevens 22/410 over-under. Basically one shot each of the weakest rifle and the weakest shotgun available, lol.

Don't know why I have a soft spot for them but I do. After 1950 they became the Savage model 24 and started getting offered in more powerful calibers. 30-30 over 20 guage, etc.
I like the little ones.
Be nifty if you had to shoot rodents in a building or something.

I always wanted to get some farm rifles but always ended up buying parts for other projects. Somewhere there is a rubbermaid full of FAL parts kits and M14 surplus parts.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Be nifty if you had to shoot rodents in a building or something.

I always wanted to get some farm rifles but always ended up buying parts for other projects. Somewhere there is a rubbermaid full of FAL parts kits and M14 surplus parts.
It's the perfect thing for a farm boy living in the city. CCI Quiet from a 24" barrel with a tight lockup is quieter than a smokers cough and will still put down a raccoon.
Can't use any of the other stuff at home unless the world goes sideways.

Would love to have a semiauto .30 cal like that but all I have in full proper centerfire like that are manual action.
Am old enough to have stumbled into a few $90-$100 SKS's back during the Clinton administration. Sold a majority for obscene profit. Should've kept them all.

Would love to have a semiauto .30 cal like that but all I have in full proper centerfire like that are manual action.
Am old enough to have stumbled into a few $90-$100 SKS's back during the Clinton administration. Sold a majority for obscene profit. Should've kept them all.
Oh I bought a K31 Swiss when they were going for like $80. Apparently they go for over $1k now with the sling and spare mag and accessories now. It has the WORST recoil but the straight pull action is so cool.

• Gravy
It is weird what goes in and out of favor. As much to do with import/export agreements and politics and prices more so than the item itself sometimes.

I'd still like to run across an old .30 carbine at a garage sale or something. Prices they get now days are nuts to me but hey if that's your thing good, enjoy it.

Pistol calibers with longer barrels or shortened x39 or 556 are the rage now but those things were designed as a true carbine from the start and haven't been squished or stretched into another format.

They came out with a new flavor of cheap gas station cigars. They're pretty smooth, I like em.

20220219_005726_(1).jpg

gay GIF

• Gravy

I like the little ones.
My Grandfather had one of those. It was a cool gun.

• Gravy
My Grandfather had one of those. It was a cool gun.
Lot of people poo poo 410s as being weak or a beginner's shotgun because they don't kick but you actually have to be better with one instead of a bigger bore. Shot pattern is more of a long string than a fist and they just plain don't hold enough pellets to keep a dense pattern further out. Gotta get closer and make it count and/or be quicker & more accurate wing shooting. Beginners likely have better success, not get discouraged with a 20 guage that has some heft to it. Lightweight ones can kick almost as much as some 12s.

Never saw a 28 guage growing up but they're really popular down here now. Mostly nice over-unders for dove and skeet.

Best thing I ever did shotgun-wise was sell my old 870 wingmaster to a purist and use the money to buy 2 maverick 88 pumps, haha. One full length hunting barrel and one shorter security barrel.
They're about 80% of a Mossberg 500, differences being synthetic stocks and a different trigger & safety mechanism. Nearly all the rest of the parts are interchangeable, they're just machined in a shop a couple hundred yards the other side of the river in Mexico then brought into Eagle Pass for distribution. Perfectly fine, well made and functional, just without the pretty wood and snob value.

Best thing I ever did shotgun-wise was sell my old 870 wingmaster to a purist and use the money to buy 2 maverick 88 pumps, haha. One full length hunting barrel and one shorter security barrel.
They're about 80% of a Mossberg 500, differences being synthetic stocks and a different trigger & safety mechanism. Nearly all the rest of the parts are interchangeable, they're just machined in a shop a couple hundred yards the other side of the river in Mexico then brought into Eagle Pass for distribution. Perfectly fine, well made and functional, just without the pretty wood and snob value.
I've honestly only ever had a 1897 with a goose barrel (thing was LONNNGGGG) and an 870 police edition. The 1897 was soooooo smooth. I think it was made in the 1920s. 870s always have that weird safety and the idk the trigger sucked ass.

I've honestly only ever had a 1897 with a goose barrel (thing was LONNNGGGG) and an 870 police edition. The 1897 was soooooo smooth. I think it was made in the 1920s. 870s always have that weird safety and the idk the trigger sucked ass.
My grandpas, now dads, and someday my or my brothers heirloom shotgun is a winchester 1897, probably from that same era if grandpa bought it new, maybe even older if he bought it used (was born in 1902). 30" barrel. Hasn't been any bluing left on it for as long as I can remember and it's beautiful that way and oh so smooth. They don't make em like that anymore.

Would love to have a pair of those. A long barrel and a trench gun with that long ass bayonet.