GAY Who are the Flatboi Downs - Part III

The mavericks have a button safety on the trigger guard but in front of the trigger instead of behind it like a remington. Might seem a little weird at first but I actually like it better that way. More of a natural motion pushing it off as part of sweeping your finger into the guard while raising it. A little bit like how cocking a hammer back is a natural part of the motion of shouldering one.

Used to have a savage 20 guage with a tang safety and never did get along with that thing. Always felt backwards to me. Had to push it forward to take it off safe when it seems you should pull it back to do that as it's just a more natural part of the motion of bringing it up. Pulling it back into your shoulder while pushing something forward at the same time always seemed odd.

That and that safety was always a little loose. Not unsafe but rather too safe. Every once in awhile the recoil would jiggle it back on safe then the next shot wouldn't fire.
I got in the habit of laying my thumb up on the tang to make sure it stayed forward instead of taking a full grip on the stock. Then later on I sold it and got the remington and had to unlearn that habit.

Plenty of bolt action rifles have the same kind of safety and it doesn't bother me at all there but it's not like you're trying to get off quick successive shots before the birds fly too far away with those.

I can make just about anything work but little stuff like that can make a difference and sometimes the traditional way of things isn't always the best way at least for me.

Safetys on ARs are another one. Easy natural motion to flip it from safe to fire but to get it back on safe you gotta hook it with the top of your thumb and pull it rear and up. Then when the government gave me a real m16 with the 3rd position once you flip it that far you gotta take a hand completely off the rifle to turn it all the way back around.
Gotta be a better way.

Lot of people poo poo 410s as being weak or a beginner's shotgun because they don't kick but you actually have to be better with one instead of a bigger bore. Shot pattern is more of a long string than a fist and they just plain don't hold enough pellets to keep a dense pattern further out. Gotta get closer and make it count and/or be quicker & more accurate wing shooting. Beginners likely have better success, not get discouraged with a 20 guage that has some heft to it. Lightweight ones can kick almost as much as some 12s.

Never saw a 28 guage growing up but they're really popular down here now. Mostly nice over-unders for dove and skeet.
My grandfather also has a double barrel 16 gage which was the first gun I really hunted with. Still have. Wish had been more a popular gage. Always liked shooting it.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Best thing I ever did shotgun-wise was sell my old 870 wingmaster to a purist and use the money to buy 2 maverick 88 pumps, haha. One full length hunting barrel and one shorter security barrel.
They're about 80% of a Mossberg 500, differences being synthetic stocks and a different trigger & safety mechanism. Nearly all the rest of the parts are interchangeable, they're just machined in a shop a couple hundred yards the other side of the river in Mexico then brought into Eagle Pass for distribution. Perfectly fine, well made and functional, just without the pretty wood and snob value.
I have a Mossberg 835. I always thought it was a great versatile working mans gun. It was the first gun I deer hunted with (you couldn't use any caliber of rifle to deer hunt in Ohio until 2012 I think?) I bought a rifled barrel with a scope mount for that application. It will also chamber a 3.5 inch round so my father would use it for goose hunting.

• Gravy
Sounds like stripper pussy.
In a former life I once played in a rock-n-roll band whose singer was a titty bar DJ here in town. There was this one very young and very pretty girl that started working there that was the only one whose stuff smelled natural. The rest of them hosed their junk down with essence of daffodils or something to cover up the stank.
She made a lot of money.

The mavericks have a button safety on the trigger guard but in front of the trigger instead of behind it like a remington. Might seem a little weird at first but I actually like it better that way. More of a natural motion pushing it off as part of sweeping your finger into the guard while raising it. A little bit like how cocking a hammer back is a natural part of the motion of shouldering one.

Used to have a savage 20 guage with a tang safety and never did get along with that thing. Always felt backwards to me. Had to push it forward to take it off safe when it seems you should pull it back to do that as it's just a more natural part of the motion of bringing it up. Pulling it back into your shoulder while pushing something forward at the same time always seemed odd.

That and that safety was always a little loose. Not unsafe but rather too safe. Every once in awhile the recoil would jiggle it back on safe then the next shot wouldn't fire.
I got in the habit of laying my thumb up on the tang to make sure it stayed forward instead of taking a full grip on the stock. Then later on I sold it and got the remington and had to unlearn that habit.

Plenty of bolt action rifles have the same kind of safety and it doesn't bother me at all there but it's not like you're trying to get off quick successive shots before the birds fly too far away with those.

I can make just about anything work but little stuff like that can make a difference and sometimes the traditional way of things isn't always the best way at least for me.

Safetys on ARs are another one. Easy natural motion to flip it from safe to fire but to get it back on safe you gotta hook it with the top of your thumb and pull it rear and up. Then when the government gave me a real m16 with the 3rd position once you flip it that far you gotta take a hand completely off the rifle to turn it all the way back around.
Gotta be a better way.
I am super used to the HK/AR style safeties. I always hit the little button on the trigger guard by accident on the 870. 97 has that little slide lock on the side which always felt natural.

• Gravy
I have a Mossberg 835. I always thought it was a great versatile working mans gun. It was the first gun I deer hunted with (you couldn't use any caliber of rifle to deer hunt in Ohio until 2012 I think?) I bought a rifled barrel with a scope mount for that application. It will also chamber a 3.5 inch round so my father would use it for goose hunting.
I don't know why 16 guage went to the wayside. Seems kind of "this porridge is just right" to me.
Where I grew up in Minnesota was shotgun only deer zone as well. Was pretty much shotgun everything. You had one shotgun and you used it for everything.
Everyone in the family including Mom had their own shotgun. Hers was a nice Ithica bottom eject. Then we had one .22 we all shared.

• Gravy
Reactions: Peppers
I don't know why 16 guage went to the wayside. Seems kind of "this porridge is just right" to me.
Where I grew up in Minnesota was shotgun only deer zone as well. Was pretty much shotgun everything. You had one shotgun and you used it for everything.
Everyone in the family including Mom had their own shotgun. Hers was a nice Ithica bottom eject. Then we had one .22 we all shared.
12 is too multipurpose. #9 shells barely have recoil and you can pattern an entire tree.

Was telling someone about @Immigrant and I realized I don't know specifics about his workplace accident story? Does anybody remember what happened?

I mostly remember that his leg was crushed, in the early 2000s(?), and he got an infection in the hospital so it never all really healed.

IM GOING TO HELL

22-A-man-holds-an-umbrella-for-a-woman-in-a-wheelchair.jpg

• Haha
  • Gravy
Reactions: Petunia and fly

It's getting pretty bad when you have to include "anthrax" in your search terms to avoid Celine Dion.

Ya I thought Immi fell off maybe the roof of an office part of a much taller warehouse? Not uncommon to store stuff up there, like the roof of a 1-story "office box" inside a warehouse or other facility that was much taller.

I remember him saying he ended up catching MRSA I think while in the hospital or treatment for all the broken bones and stuff. Ended up "beating" that too after a long time but the cumulative effect all took a big toll.

• Gravy
Reactions: Hoff Kinkmeister
@Hoff Kinkmeister

Fell head first and managed to flip over during flight and landed standing on concrete. 30 surgeries, MRSA, reaction to an IV antibiotic that landed me in the burn unit and sick for two years, etc.

I occasionally see folks way worse off than me. It sucks that that’s helpful.

I got MRSA. No antibiotics worked, so they went extreme. After two weeks on an IV antibiotic that was delivered to my door every other day, I got really sick. The day after Thanksgiving 2003, I got hauled back into the hospital and to determine the exact cause, they took at least 20 biopsies off my skin and put me on such a high dose of prednisone, I cried for no reason. And I got hooked on Average Joe, a reality show.

Doctors came from all over the area to see the guy whose white blood cell count was so high, when they looked at the chart, they assumed I was dead. Then they’d open the door and I was sitting in my bed laughing. Prednisone is a bitch.

I had a vacuum device attached to my leg that was portable and I’d slide into my wheelchair and leave the room, and I noticed the wheels turned white. It was skin. The skin was flaking off of me and it was everywhere. It got so bad, I got to experience a “sand bed”, a giant bed mattress made out of sand. The drawback was it was in the burn unit, so I got to hang out with burn victims for two days.

I made an off color joke about knowing where to pick up girls in the future, and the nurse broke out laughing.

I got out of the hospital two days before Christmas. That was my longest stay out of them all. 30 surgeries, according to my records. The hospital says 31, because I had my pelvis bone harvested for ankle filler and they counted that as 2. Insurance company said 29, because one surgery wasn’t billed (doc had to fix an error). Two Ilizarov frames, a total of 14 months. 16 casts.

I’m finally eligible for an artificial ankle, but I’m not healthy enough to recover. In time.

Fell from about 30 feet head first, righted myself, landed standing.

The part I always “won” was the number of surgeries. Insurance company says 29, my records say 30, orthopedic surgeon’s office says 31.

I broke my thumb playing basketball and waited two weeks before going to the doctor, who sent me to an orthopedic guy, who had to re-break it. That was officially my second surgery if we’re counting wisdom teeth.

After that

2 surgeries, left ankle
One surgery, right hip
28 surgeries, right ankle/tibia

I’m overdue for more now that I qualify for an artificial ankle joint or two, but I don’t think I’ll live long enough to benefit for it, so skipping it. I could’ve tried it years ago, but the artificial joint wasn’t perfected yet and wouldn’t have worked.

I'm still here, next to kilroy.
This thing on my hand is much improved. Got a little nuts there with a pressure washer. Big commercial/industrial one with a truck engine and big pump on it.
Didn't feel a thing. Thought that stuff on my hand was just soap suds or something then hey wait a minute, that's (what's left of) skin.

20220312_224930_resize_68.jpg

Never hurt one bit, weird. Might try it again, see how much you can take off before the pain kicks in.

My shit looks almost as old as Marigold or whatever she's calling herself these days.

I'm still here, next to kilroy.
This thing on my hand is much improved. Got a little nuts there with a pressure washer. Big commercial/industrial one with a truck engine and big pump on it.
Didn't feel a thing. Thought that stuff on my hand was just soap suds or something then hey wait a minute, that's (what's left of) skin.

View attachment 15845

Never hurt one bit, weird. Might try it again, see how much you can take off before the pain kicks in.

My shit looks almost as old as Marigold or whatever she's calling herself these days.
Hmmm... You might have callus but have you been checked for neuropathy?

I haven't been checked for anything since I was probably 19 and I'm almost 50 but I looked up neuropathy and it doesn't seem like that. It's more like just regular battle scars.

I haven't been checked for anything since I was probably 19 and I'm almost 50 but I looked up neuropathy and it doesn't seem like that. It's more like just regular battle scars.
neuropathy can present as a loss of sensation (usually specifically in the hands and feet, which is peripheral neuropathy), although there can also be burning or tingling. I imagine that lack of sensation is what he was referencing. it can be associated with diabetes, but also it can come from other stuff, too.

• Gravy