Well would you look at that

D

djduquet

Today has been one of those days that really makes one want to ingest the largest amount of alcohol and nicotine that the system can handle. I’ve been home from school for a total of a week and woke up today after a luxurious sleep to be greeted by my mother informing me that I have until Friday to move out and find a way to survive on my own. Now that idea on its own is not a difficult proposition. This summer was to be my last at home before the beginning of my lease in Kalamazoo for my third year at Western Michigan University. However, things have changed in less than eight hours to a state of a chaotic ramble. Going from having a place to stay while I work and save money for the next school year to having to scramble to locate a residence for the summer. The concept of moving out on my own is nothing shocking, I’ve proposed it before and was planning on it come the end of August any way. Now, however, I’m found in a situation quite different from what had been planned for some time. That was being kicked out of home.

Now don’t get me wrong my point is not to cry about how mommy and daddy have forced me into a state of full independence; rather, it’s the method in which the entire situation has evolved to be. I came home and the day later I helped my best friend move out of his place and provided a few nights rest with me until his lease on his new place opened up. With one evening left to the agreement I’ve found myself searching for a new domicile. The reasoning was that my parents do not believe that I’ve done enough around the house to warrant my habitation for another summer. That’s fine, and sure I could have done more but I did not and there is not a thing that I nor anyone else can do to change that fact, which is fine by me. Yet my sister is failing out of high school doesn’t clean her room and generally screws around. I’ve been a four point student since middle school and yet I have been branded as the Duquette who does nothing to deserve respect and consideration. Okay.

Another reason listed for my supposed insolence in responsibilities of a ‘free ride’ for another summer was this last school year. Now I’ve always had a problem with depression and states of uncontainable jubilation. Finally, to do something about my mood swings, I took myself down to see someone about this emotional situation. I was diagnosed with bipolar and obsessive compulsive disorder. If you’ve ever been on anti-psychotics then you’ll fully understand what is meant when I say that performing daily tasks takes every once of energy that one can muster. Another side effect is the desire to sleep twelve hours a day. Well I’ve always kept the hours of a vampire but with this combination it really does kick the ass about. Well this academic semester has certainly not been my best by quite a long shot. So my mother thinks that because I’ve had a difficult time with personal issues this school year that it is a perfect reason for my prompt removal from the house. Perhaps they would have a solid anchor in this reasoning if they were paying for it, but they are not. I work and pay for school and deal with the regular issues that one is faced with every day, and that’s fine because it builds character. Now as a result of this year I’ve learned a lot about myself yet have suffered academically, yet I know what must be done to remedy this situation and am actively working towards such an endeavor.

So there is always that to come back to at another time to discuss but really what surprises me is the fact that in less than five days I’ve been expected to figure out a way to move out and successfully continue my life. My simple question is how does that help my school situation or any other factors that may arise? Well it really doesn’t. I’ve always been a secretive and conniving individual knowing that when the shit hits the fan the best bet that one has it to look out for one’s self. Which is precisely what happened, I’ll elaborate. For the rest of the summer I’ve jumped on my friends sublease and will be living in a house in town until moving back to Kalamazoo. I’ve paid bills before and still have a job so look out I know what to do. Which is where I’m sitting now.

So in less than two days I’ll have packed my things, which are currently sitting in a box, and moved into a new place for the remainder of the summer. Is this the most horrid thing that can happen to someone? Of course not, in fact it will undoubtedly be good for me. All that can be done now is to pick myself up and continue on with life in a manner that will suffice until a later date when more can be accomplished. So ultimately shit has hit the fan and I’m able to carry on, but what a horrid way. Talk about a hundred and one ways to discontinue any sort of dialogue with one’s parents. At least I still have a car, a job, friends, and a place to live. What a wonderful life.

your parents want to have sex on the kitchen table without being bothered by you...deal with it and get your own place :p

tealdeer.gif

I'm still pissed at you about the Mormonism crap.

Jesus guys this ISN’T GENMAY, just read it it’s not that long.

And good one drool :lol:

KNYTE said:
I'm still pissed at you about the Mormonism crap.
Oh don’t get your panties in a bunch sweetie-pie I still love you. I have one word to say: raillery.

Same happened to me at home, except it wasn't my father, it was my sister who is 12 years my senior.

To put it simply, the situation became untenable so I left. Obviously, as you've been a student for longer than me you more than likely know your options at the minute.

And Anti-depressants are a major gripe of mine. They work for about 5% of people they are prescribed to. Don't bother with them.

If you're in a hole, dig yourself out. Join an academic club or take up flying or something.

DJ I feel your pain. (omg that's a little too emo sounding...but anyway...) My parents kicked me to the curb right before my senior year of college because they found out I was occasionally 'staying the night' at my boyfriends place. Fortunatly I was living on campus at the time while working a summer internship. Within a few days I had to figure out a way to pay for my last year of college (classing and boarding) and pay for my car/insurance. Yea loans and credit card debt! I still take issue with their complete intolerace of my 'bad behavior' considering I was a pretty good kid otherwise. The whole thing caused quite a rift in my relationship with them, which I'm still dealing with. I hope that you and your parents are able to come to a better understanding. <3

Pandora said:
DJ I feel your pain. (omg that's a little too emo sounding...but anyway...) My parents kicked me to the curb right before my senior year of college because they found out I was occasionally 'staying the night' at my boyfriends place.

When my Dad found out I was staying the night at Blondie's place he congratulated me. Mom was silently objecting.

Getting kicked out sucks, but things will work themselves out, they always do.

Galen said:
And Anti-depressants are a major gripe of mine. They work for about 5% of people they are prescribed to. Don't bother with them.

If you're in a hole, dig yourself out. Join an academic club or take up flying or something.
Yeah, I feel like that sometimes but when I go off of them no one can stand to be around me. Hell I can’t stand to be around me. They help but sure as crap don’t make you perfect. A flying club? I can’t even go five steps up a ladder without my weak French ass giving way. I like to play Magic: the Gathering. I just need to find some more mates to play with at WMU.

Pandora said:
DJ I feel your pain. (omg that's a little too emo sounding...but anyway...) My parents kicked me to the curb right before my senior year of college because they found out I was occasionally 'staying the night' at my boyfriends place. Fortunatly I was living on campus at the time while working a summer internship. Within a few days I had to figure out a way to pay for my last year of college (classing and boarding) and pay for my car/insurance. Yea loans and credit card debt! I still take issue with their complete intolerace of my 'bad behavior' considering I was a pretty good kid otherwise. The whole thing caused quite a rift in my relationship with them, which I'm still dealing with. I hope that you and your parents are able to come to a better understanding. <3
Yeah, it’s not the end of the world and I know what I’ve got open and what needs to be done. I don’t know how my relationship will be with my Northern family now especially my parents. I imagine not that great because if you kick me out on my ass with really no strong reasoning then expect to be all buddy buddy like things are all okay then I’m afraid you’ve been greatly misinformed. But thanks Pandora. :heart:

djduquet said:
Yeah, I feel like that sometimes but when I go off of them no one can stand to be around me. Hell I can’t stand to be around me. They help but sure as crap don’t make you perfect. A flying club? I can’t even go five steps up a ladder without my weak French ass giving way. I like to play Magic: the Gathering. I just need to find some more mates to play with at WMU.
I haven't really suffered from depression, but I'm a complete wreck through stress most of the time and honestly, it's not a nice way to be.

I'd recommend something just to do in your spare time, honestly, it works wonders. Gives you something to look forward to doing, whether it's achieving or just having fun. I'd make a suggestion of rugby or rowing as I'd be pretty sure they'd be offered on your campus and thus you'd have the time to dedicate to them.

A good goal will do alot more for you than pills will, trust me.

thrawn said:
dont most landlords give a 30 day notice?
Sublease to a house that only had 2 people living there for the summer. She was very happy to have another person jump on board.

Oh, and yeah, in this case it was not what I would call a kind removal. Talk about a hundred and one ways to end a smooth relationship with one's son.

Last edited by a moderator:
Galen said:

I think that there is a major problem with over medication but I don't discredit the worth of anti-depressants to people that really need them. You can't always "dig yourself out."

djduquet said:
Yeah, it’s not the end of the world and I know what I’ve got open and what needs to be done. I don’t know how my relationship will be with my Northern family now especially my parents. I imagine not that great because if you kick me out on my ass with really no strong reasoning then expect to be all buddy buddy like things are all okay then I’m afraid you’ve been greatly misinformed. But thanks Pandora. :heart:

You are right, it's not the end of the world. There are always options and you will get through it all. I saw my grandfather (and family) deal with bipolar disorder for many years. I can imagine it's been pretty tough for you. Try and keep a good perspective on things and take care of yourself. Everything will work its way out eventually as long as you keep your eyes on the prize and work for it. I've already been through what you are facing with your parents. After our blow out my parents didn't seem to understand why I wouldn't drop everything when they cryed wolf. But as you've said, the only person you can count on in life is yourself. Any additional help from others really is just a helping hand. But be sure to thank those helping hands, friends who like us dispite ourselves. :D :heart:

Dharma1521 said:
I think that there is a major problem with over medication but I don't discredit the worth of anti-depressants to people that really need them. You can't always "dig yourself out."

This is very true. I've known many people in my life that needed the extra help to clear the fog and get back on top of things. Sometimes you just can't rewire the brain by thinking happy thoughts.