FYI Watch the ESA (hopefully) land a probe on a comet 500 million kilometers from Earth

whats even cooler thats launching in 16 is the bennu mission, where we're going to go do the same thing. Land on the asteroid. Drill into it, TAKE OFF, FLY BACK TO EARTH, and deliver the sample.

whats even cooler thats launching in 16 is the bennu mission, where we're going to go do the same thing. Land on the asteroid. Drill into it, TAKE OFF, FLY BACK TO EARTH, and deliver the sample.

I've seen enough movies on Sci-Fi to know that this will only result in an alien microorganism infecting 99% of life on this planet.

• Gravy
Reactions: Peppers
I've seen enough movies on Sci-Fi to know that this will only result in an alien microorganism infecting 99% of life on this planet.

the thing is, they've already kinda done this one in 1999-2006. No landing, but we intercepted a comet, captured a bunch of its dust in a capsule, and brought that back to earth. We're not dead yet from that one.

the thing is, they've already kinda done this one in 1999-2006. No landing, but we intercepted a comet, captured a bunch of its dust in a capsule, and brought that back to earth. We're not dead yet from that one.
Yeah, we used that crazy fucking gel that almost literally weighs nothing. :cool:

I like that it has a 'state of the art' 4 megapixel camera. Somewhere in space there's a Betamax or Super 8 recorder capturing 'state of the art' video.

Isnt that the one that crashed in the desert and some asshole photographer ran right up to it for pictures, even after everyone said not to?

So, I kinda know a guy that worked on the trajectory calculations and mockups for the mid-orbit rendezvous for Rosetta. He worked for the ESA before coming to VT for his PhD in astrophysics.