FYI UF Money Thread

Dude if it takes 30 seconds to make change that cashier has some serious mental handicap going. Easily 2, sometimes 3 cash customers turned around during your 30 second transaction. Assuming the cashier isn't a complete idiot or some customer isn't mining the bottom of a giant purse for loose change.

So, I see you pay as much attention to how your typical cashier is lacking some basic skills as you do to how tipping works. This ain't like the world pre-90s when figuring out change was part of the education doctrine of the time. Current cashiers are better off pressing up the sale and waiting to hit a confirm button on a charge.

That's impossible when you know what your stuff costs and have your money ready before you even get to the counter.

If it was so quick and convenient there wouldn't be a line of people glaring and rolling their eyes behind the person messing with a card over a candy bar or a dr. pepper.

you can have your card in hand just like you can have cash in hand. and there isn't a line of people glaring and rolling their eyes because you are the only person doing that

Dude if it takes 30 seconds to make change that cashier has some serious mental handicap going. Easily 2, sometimes 3 cash customers turned around during your 30 second transaction. Assuming the cashier isn't a complete idiot or some customer isn't mining the bottom of a giant purse for loose change.

you live in a fantasy world where cashiers are completing transactions in 10-15 seconds each.

Roll that shit over into a self managed IRA using the Lazy Portfolio I posted upthread. Fuck those expensive 401ks once you aren't getting a contribution match.
i just searched this thread and there is no instance of the words "lazy portfolio"

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
Roll that shit over into a self managed IRA using the Lazy Portfolio I posted upthread. Fuck those expensive 401ks once you aren't getting a contribution match.
i just searched this thread and there is no instance of the words "lazy portfolio"

That's most likely happening because you live around a collection of impatient assholes.

With a card, I'm tolled and paid faster than most people place their order. It's not the method that slows the line down, it's the fucking people. I've seen dipshits hold up a line at starbucks for 5-8 minutes with their just being self centered. I'm up, order placed, and paid, with a 30-45 second turn around.

If I'm at the cashier for less than a minute continuously and I'm getting eye rolls, the eye rollers can go fuck themselves.

lately I find myself mainly going to places that allow me to order and pay through an app.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
So, I see you pay as much attention to how your typical cashier is lacking some basic skills as you do to how tipping works. This ain't like the world pre-90s when figuring out change was part of the education doctrine of the time. Current cashiers are better off pressing up the sale and waiting to hit a confirm button on a charge.

I LOVE the look on their faces when the bill is $4.52 and I hand them a Ten and 2 cents.

inquisitivewoman.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and HipHugHer
yeah, a card, even with the modern chip bullshit which is way slower than a swipe, is still at least as fast if not faster than making the cashier go through his register and count out your change.

a few seconds for more security seems like a decent tradeoff to me :p although I wonder if the communication is actually any slower or if it's a perception thing because with swiping the card we quickly complete the task and start putting the card away while it communicates but with the chip the card has to stay in the machine during that process so we actually feel those few seconds of lag time :iono:

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
I never really understood people worrying about that stuff. You aren't liable for it, so why does it matter?

Right, because getting an account drained and getting a bunch of nsf's and overdrafts and then having to take off work and lose even more money to go deal with straightening all that out is no hassle at all.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Ive been debating if its worth taking the pull out penalty on peanuts IRA to cash it out and it and roll it into my TSP. Ive been getting 15+% returns for years upon years running with my current TSP distribution, and thats hard to match with a vanguard or equivalent.

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony
a few seconds for more security seems like a decent tradeoff to me :p although I wonder if the communication is actually any slower or if it's a perception thing because with swiping the card we quickly complete the task and start putting the card away while it communicates but with the chip the card has to stay in the machine during that process so we actually feel those few seconds of lag time :iono:

oh, i have no problem with chip and pin, we should have gone to it ages ago. But there is something wrong with some places comm links, and the auth takes FOREVER. its an implementation problem. Some places are 5ish seconds to auth, which is fine, but some at 25, which is not.

oh, i have no problem with chip and pin, we should have gone to it ages ago. But there is something wrong with some places comm links, and the auth takes FOREVER. its an implementation problem. Some places are 5ish seconds to auth, which is fine, but some at 25, which is not.
indeed

cheap ass merchants and banks didn't want to do this until it was forced on them, not surprising they would throw the minimum amount of resources toward improving their networks

I don't keep any transactional aps or financial info on my phone. Home PC only.

I can understand the hesitation. All of the actual financial apps I have like banking have to be logged in each time. The stuff like starbucks or jimmy johns are attached to a low limit credit card that only gets used for food & gas (mainly for the double points).

edit: besides, I have lastpass on all my devices so if it gets compromised that's my main concern

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots and Duke

That's not cash's fault, that's stupid people that can't do 2nd grade maths.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel