Food UF Christmas Food - 'IF' you have time. . .

Here is the Cooks Illustrated one. Yours is definitely quicker!

The usual approach to making eggnog is simple: Mix together eggs, sugar, cream, and hard liquor, and then enjoy. But when we heard of a way to improve on the appeal of this drink—and at the same time dispel any concerns over using raw eggs—we had to give it a try. The idea? Make a batch of eggnog and let it age for at least three weeks in the refrigerator before drinking. The rest period supposedly drives off eggy taste while giving the other flavors a chance to meld. At the same time, the alcohol has a chance to kill any potential pathogens in the mix.
This latter benefit was conclusively proven by microbiologists Vince Fischetti and Raymond Schuch at New York City’s Rockefeller University. They deliberately added salmonella bacteria to a batch of eggnog and analyzed the bacteria content over a three-week period. By the three-week mark, the alcohol had rendered the eggnog completely sterile. When we tried their recipe, we indeed found it smooth and drinkable, though at 14 percent alcohol it packed quite a punch.
Satisfied with the sterility of the drink, we set out to produce an equally safe (but less potent) nog. Our solution? Waiting until serving time to add the dairy. This way, we could use enough alcohol to properly sterilize the eggs during storage and then temper the booze-egg base with dairy for serving.

We stirred together a dozen eggs,
1 1/2 cups of bourbon,
1/2 cup of cognac, and
1/3 cup of dark rum;
added 1 1/2 cups of sugar; and
refrigerated the 18-percent-alcohol mixture in an airtight container.

After three weeks, we poured the base through a sieve to remove any egg solids and
then mellowed out the mixture with 6 cups of whole milk and
½ cup of cream, bringing it down to about 8 percent alcohol.

The unanimous verdict: Alongside a fresh batch, which tasted comparatively boozy and harsh, our aged nog went down more smoothly. To age your favorite eggnog recipe, be sure to use 1 1/2 ounces of 80 proof liquor for every egg, and leave out the dairy until serving.

This was seriously the best eggnog that anyone at the party had ever tasted. Super easy and amazing.

He usually gets good quality from dairy farms that bring supplies to local stores but still. The thickness is vile to me. I don't drink alcohol pretty much ever now and so the whole idea is gaggy and a waste of calories to me.

Kind of like those damn Cadbury cream eggs - I loved it as a child and now as an adult it makes me feel sick to my stomach to drink.

Yeah, the good stuff is not thick.

also, you may not have boiled it enough for the pectin to start working
We thought that so we poured it back into the pot (after canning) and boiled it some more.

Is it possible the pectin was bad? It was bought from the store the day before.

Jam has fruit chunks in it... which this recipe confused me, it is called jam, but looks like jelly.

the differece is "I can't jelly my cock down your throat".

for real tho - the recipe is a bit vague. Liquid or powdered pectin? what kind of stout? these things make a big difference

We thought that so we poured it back into the pot (after canning) and boiled it some more.

Is it possible the pectin was bad? It was bought from the store the day before.

for me, at first I didn't use enough enough pectin, then added a bunch at once that turned out to be way too much. . .

add a teence at a time on the stove & watch to see how it coats the back of a spoon.

Also, to get a clue as to the right amount, you could do that with a small sample of the jam/jelly before you do the entire batch. (I wish I had done that. . . )

the differece is "I can't jelly my cock down your throat".

for real tho - the recipe is a bit vague. Liquid or powdered pectin? what kind of stout? these things make a big difference
:lol: Damn it, I should have seen that coming!

Well fuck. We used liquid and two different stouts (and one ale). So jelly is an exact science?

RmaAzbq.jpg

for me, at first I didn't use enough enough pectin, then added a bunch at once that turned out to be way too much. . .

add a teence at a time on the stove & watch to see how it coats the back of a spoon.

Also, to get a clue as to the right amount, you could do that with a small sample of the jam/jelly before you do the entire batch. (I wish I had done that. . . )
It seemed to coat the spoon well for how hot it was while boiling. Does it take a certain amount of time for it to "set"?

We shall be having locally reared goose, gammon, goose fat roasted potatoes, creamed potatoes with celeriac. brussel sprouts with bacon lardons, honey glazed parsnips, vichy carrots with fennel and a stuffing of my devising which involves mushrooms, bacon, sausage meat, wholemeal soda bread, chestnuts, apple and cranberries, herbs and seasoning plus pigs in blankets using a chorizo based sausage. Followed by a rich fruit christmas pudding with brandy cream and mince pies. All accompanied by a rather nice little 2008 rioja and followed by stilton, port and cigars. A few beers and then it will be time for tea which will be a salad with, amongst other things, assorted spanish meats, cheeses and Melton Mowbray pork pie. We will have a cup of tea with this meal and then return to destroying our livers. The cheeseboard may make a second appearance later in the evening.

We shall be having locally reared goose, gammon, goose fat roasted potatoes, creamed potatoes with celeriac. brussel sprouts with bacon lardons, honey glazed parsnips, vichy carrots with fennel and a stuffing of my devising which involves mushrooms, bacon, sausage meat, wholemeal soda bread, chestnuts, apple and cranberries, herbs and seasoning plus pigs in blankets using a chorizo based sausage. Followed by a rich fruit christmas pudding with brandy cream and mince pies. All accompanied by a rather nice little 2008 rioja and followed by stilton, port and cigars. A few beers and then it will be time for tea which will be a salad with, amongst other things, assorted spanish meats, cheeses and Melton Mowbray pork pie. We will have a cup of tea with this meal and then return to destroying our livers. The cheeseboard may make a second appearance later in the evening.
Cheese boards :drool:

What's your favorite all time cheese?