Food UF Christmas Food - 'IF' you have time. . .

Amstel

The Hoarse Whisperer
Jul 12, 2009
you're a whore, but in a good way. Kindof.
Marklar
₥43,517
Most of us will be celebrating with Family and/or Friends. Let's see your food. those of you who can squeeze in a pic or two & don't have sticky hands that you claim prevent camera operation in the kitchen. (sticky hands have not prevented camera operation in other rooms. . . just sayin') Also, give up the recipes too (& what you did if you tweaked it!) I'm trying to make things that will keep & are easy to get out and on the table. So far, there's going to be 6 of us.

I have no pics yet, but am getting the menu finalized. Some cut/paste menu Items are:

apps.
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/pepper-glazed-goat-cheese-gratin
- immediately, my intention is to use Pepper Jelly that I already have.
That should take the prep time from 14 minutes down to 2.

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/smoked-salmon-deviled-eggs
but I'm thinking of putting the salmon on top. Not sure yet. . . that mix sounds huge & I don't want the salmon to be lost.

side.
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/creamed-spinach-and-parsnips
it says it can be made ahead. Nice!

Roast / whipped potatoes /

desert, idk.

just the beginning.

and go!

Last edited:
I'll be making an eggnog thread sometime in the next couple days.

I started taking pictures for a thread last weekend for a neighborhood get together, where I made a big batch of it, but got caught up in making other stuff and forgot to take pics of the second half of the process. But I've been given orders now to make another batch for another neighbors' party...

You'll need 1qt/1L of 35% cream, milk/sugar, a dozen extra large eggs, a vanilla bean, fresh nutmeg and a flask of bourbon.

I'll be making an eggnog thread sometime in the next couple days.

I started taking pictures for a thread last weekend for a neighborhood get together, where I made a big batch of it, but got caught up in making other stuff and forgot to take pics of the second half of the process. But I've been given orders now to make another batch for another neighbors' party...

You'll need 1qt/1L of 35% cream, milk/sugar, a dozen extra large eggs, a vanilla bean, fresh nutmeg and a flask of bourbon.
@fly just did a Cooks Illustrated recipe of eggnog that turned out yummy (I'm not a fan, but it was good!) Took three weeks, was completely raw, and had three different liquors in it.

We need an eggnog-off!

Last edited by a moderator:
Post the recipe! Here's mine, off the top of my head:

Ingredients:

- 1qt cream
- 1qt milk
- 12 eggs
- 1c sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1tsp freshly grated nutmeg (+more to sprinkle over the finished product if you want to make it all pintresty)
- 1c bourbon, canadian whiskey, rum or whatever you like.

Directions:

- Set aside a cup of cream. Put rest + 1qt milk in a small pot on the stove. Scald, turn off the heat, add the vanilla bean and nutmeg, cover and let cool.
- Separate 4 eggs, set aside whites. Whisk yolks and remaining 8 eggs w/1c sugar together in a largeish bowl, set aside.
- Scrape seeds out of vanilla bean into cream/milk mixture, discard pod. Let the milk/cream mixture cool to <140F or you'll wreck the custard.
- Put a few inches of cold water and ice cubes in your kitchen sink.
- slowly add some of the milk/cream mixture to the yolk/sugar mixture, whisking constantly. Once you've added a couple of cups, quickly add it back to the milk/cream. Stir and cook until it coats a spoon. Remove from heat, set the pot in the water/ice in your sink and stir to cool the custard quickly.
- Beat egg whites to soft peak, fold in.
- Beat remaining cream to soft peak, fold in.
- Add liquor.
- Leave in the fridge for an hour.

Post the recipe! Here's mine, off the top of my head:

Ingredients:

- 1qt cream
- 1qt milk
- 12 eggs
- 1c sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1tsp freshly grated nutmeg (+more to sprinkle over the finished product if you want to make it all pintresty)
- 1c bourbon, canadian whiskey, rum or whatever you like.

Directions:

- Set aside a cup of cream. Put rest + 1qt milk in a small pot on the stove. Scald, turn off the heat, add the vanilla bean and nutmeg, cover and let cool.
- Separate 4 eggs, set aside whites. Whisk yolks and remaining 8 eggs w/1c sugar together in a largeish bowl, set aside.
- Scrape seeds out of vanilla bean into cream/milk mixture, discard pod. Let the milk/cream mixture cool to <140F or you'll wreck the custard.
- Put a few inches of cold water and ice cubes in your kitchen sink.
- slowly add some of the milk/cream mixture to the yolk/sugar mixture, whisking constantly. Once you've added a couple of cups, quickly add it back to the milk/cream. Stir and cook until it coats a spoon. Remove from heat, set the pot in the water/ice in your sink and stir to cool the custard quickly.
- Beat egg whites to soft peak, fold in.
- Beat remaining cream to soft peak, fold in.
- Add liquor.
- Leave in the fridge for an hour.

Here is the Cooks Illustrated one. Yours is definitely quicker!

The usual approach to making eggnog is simple: Mix together eggs, sugar, cream, and hard liquor, and then enjoy. But when we heard of a way to improve on the appeal of this drink—and at the same time dispel any concerns over using raw eggs—we had to give it a try. The idea? Make a batch of eggnog and let it age for at least three weeks in the refrigerator before drinking. The rest period supposedly drives off eggy taste while giving the other flavors a chance to meld. At the same time, the alcohol has a chance to kill any potential pathogens in the mix.
This latter benefit was conclusively proven by microbiologists Vince Fischetti and Raymond Schuch at New York City’s Rockefeller University. They deliberately added salmonella bacteria to a batch of eggnog and analyzed the bacteria content over a three-week period. By the three-week mark, the alcohol had rendered the eggnog completely sterile. When we tried their recipe, we indeed found it smooth and drinkable, though at 14 percent alcohol it packed quite a punch.
Satisfied with the sterility of the drink, we set out to produce an equally safe (but less potent) nog. Our solution? Waiting until serving time to add the dairy. This way, we could use enough alcohol to properly sterilize the eggs during storage and then temper the booze-egg base with dairy for serving.

We stirred together a dozen eggs,
1 1/2 cups of bourbon,
1/2 cup of cognac, and
1/3 cup of dark rum;
added 1 1/2 cups of sugar; and
refrigerated the 18-percent-alcohol mixture in an airtight container.

After three weeks, we poured the base through a sieve to remove any egg solids and
then mellowed out the mixture with 6 cups of whole milk and
½ cup of cream, bringing it down to about 8 percent alcohol.

The unanimous verdict: Alongside a fresh batch, which tasted comparatively boozy and harsh, our aged nog went down more smoothly. To age your favorite eggnog recipe, be sure to use 1 1/2 ounces of 80 proof liquor for every egg, and leave out the dairy until serving.

Wine and croissants from the French bistro in my building x2. My parents tomorrow and gf's parents Wed.

Am I the only one who thinks eggnog is gross?

We're having a very low key meal with my dad. Making some meatballs in a tomato based sauce and then bringing frozen tortellini for those who want more than a meatball sub or something. It's just a handful of us so nothing huge. I'm not sure it's worth photographing since it's all 10 min prep or less.

Though I am going to try to make a half batch of flan. A full batch is just too much for only 7 people.

Am I the only one who thinks eggnog is gross?

We're having a very low key meal with my dad. Making some meatballs in a tomato based sauce and then bringing frozen tortellini for those who want more than a meatball sub or something. It's just a handful of us so nothing huge. I'm not sure it's worth photographing since it's all 10 min prep or less.

Though I am going to try to make a half batch of flan. A full batch is just too much for only 7 people.

You are not alone. Fuck eggnog.

I don't like eggnog either, but the stuff @fly made was good. It wasn't eggy, tasted like a creamy alcholic drink. :dunno:

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad just got some (no way would he make it) and I just think "blech" whenever I see it.

I suppose I could take pics of caramelizing sugar and making flan at least. I plan to do that later today after I go to lunch with a friend. It needs a full day or so to set before you eat.

Though now I am 2nd guessing myself and maybe should make a full batch and just enjoy the leftovers ;)

He usually gets good quality from dairy farms that bring supplies to local stores but still. The thickness is vile to me. I don't drink alcohol pretty much ever now and so the whole idea is gaggy and a waste of calories to me.

Kind of like those damn Cadbury cream eggs - I loved it as a child and now as an adult it makes me feel sick to my stomach to drink.