To kill or not to kill: Shelter Dogs : - (

Candy

Flaccid Member
Jun 10, 2005
In a house with a Purple Room
Marklar
₥0
SO last night I watched a special on HBO that changed my entire outlook on euthanasia in animal shelters. It used to be, that I would only support the Humane Society becuase they do not euthanize animals; they will keep them alive as long as it takes to find a home, or until the inevitable happens. I'm curious to know what everyone's opinion is on this subject, as mine has now been altered.

The shelter they did the documentary about was owned and operated (not-for-profit) by a women who purchased the shelter 8 years ago and lives on the premises. She believes that euthanasia is the more humane choice in many cases; mostly due to the mental, emotional, and physical demise that is a result of a surrendered animal who has spent the remainder of his/her life in a cage.

Dogs who have been surrendered because they bite, could get re-adopted, and cause harm to another person which leads again to the vicious cycle of adoption and re-surrender.

Dogs who are considered "to old" can spend the rest of their lives in "humane" shelters (for many, many years) and never, even get another night's sleep without hearing other dogs howl, cry and scream. The get excersize by jumping vertical. Eventually they will spin around and around out of sheer frusteration. They no longer respons to human contact, and can become displacent or mean. After a few years of this, even if they find a new home, they are virtually unadoptable anyway because they are no longer able to adapt to a new home.

This particular woman did not euthanize every dog that came through the shelter; she posted flyers, internet photos, and made personal phone calls for each and every dog that came in. She made up what she called "adoption rooms" where she would put in an old love seat or chair, with lots of colors on the walls and bedding.

I cried through the entire show. I was SO against euthanasia, until I watched this program. Anyone who has HBO on demand the program is called "Shelter Dogs" and is available until January 8. Please see it before you decide on a dog. I looked at all three of my shelter dogs and felt so good about the decision I made that saved their lives.

What is your opinion on this subject? You can read more stats here:

http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/shelter_dogs/

Last edited:
I dunno. Hearing about the needless slaughter of dogs and cats makes me sad, but I can understand the other side too. I'm semi-glad that someone is there to put down animals, and am very glad that I don't have to do it.

I LOVE WILLY.

elpmis said:
Um, yeah, last night you definitely should have been watching Mordum

fly said:
I dunno. Hearing about the needless slaughter of dogs and cats makes me sad, but I can understand the other side too. I'm semi-glad that someone is there to put down animals, and am very glad that I don't have to do it.

I LOVE WILLY.
bunny

Kill. Get rid of the damned dogs!

Seriously, if an animal cannot be placed anywhere euthanasia may be the best option, unpleasant as it may sound.

Nyx said:
Kill. Get rid of the damned dogs!

Seriously, if an animal cannot be placed anywhere euthanasia may be the best option, unpleasant as it may sound.
u r a savage beast

I've always supported euthanasia. If I had to live out the remainder of my life in a cage (or hospital) then I'd want to be put out of my misery. Life isn't always about having a pulse, it's about quality too. And some pets just aren't adoptable. They began their life chained out in someones backyard, with little socialization, or were absued...and they will forever carry those scars with them. Very VERY few people are willing to tolerate the behavioral problems caused by this, which is why these pets are surrendered in the first place.

We had to work with our shihtzu because she had a few behavior problems when we adopted her (and still does). But I prefer adopting an adult rather than purchasing a puppy because I'd rather let an animal life out the rest of their days in a good home, rather than being euthanized. I could buy a puppy, or save a dogs life (adopt). Cuz if I don't adopt then who will? Puppies can always be sold. But you can't always assume someone else will solve the problem. I choose to be part of the solution of shelter overpopulation, which is why I adopt. :) Hell, the same could also be said for my choice to not have kids. ;)

Pandora said:
I've always supported euthanasia. If I had to live out the remainder of my life in a cage (or hospital) then I'd want to be put out of my misery. Life isn't always about having a pulse, it's about quality too. And some pets just aren't adoptable. They began their life chained out in someones backyard, with little socialization, or were absued...and they will forever carry those scars with them. Very VERY few people are willing to tolerate the behavioral problems caused by this, which is why these pets are surrendered in the first place.

We had to work with our shihtzu because she had a few behavior problems when we adopted her (and still does). But I prefer adopting an adult rather than purchasing a puppy because I'd rather let an animal life out the rest of their days in a good home, rather than being euthanized. I could buy a puppy, or save a dogs life (adopt). Cuz if I don't adopt then who will? Puppies can always be sold. But you can't always assume someone else will solve the problem. I choose to be part of the solution of shelter overpopulation, which is why I adopt. :) Hell, the same could also be said for my choice to not have kids. ;)

so, are you gonna have, umm... I mean get another dog?

I think it boils down to the fact that there are 836 quintillion unwanted pets in America alone. Euthanasia sucks, but it's really the only way to escape the hole we've dug for ourselves by not having our animals neutered and being responsible caretakers in the first place.

It's like the whole hunting thing, in a roundabout way. We go out and kill all the herbivores, and then bitch when the carnivores die or wander into cities in search of food. Then we quit killing the herbivores, and the carnivore populations spiral out of control in response to the sudden explosion of food sources. Then we bitch that there are too many carnivores, and we go out and have to kill off all the excess ones to maintain the "balance"... Point is, we just can't stop fucking with things. And fucking things up.

People are stupid. It's just the way it is. What we should do is kill 60% of the human population, use their carcasses as food, and redisgn and redevelop the vast urban spaces we've just opened up to better care for those who are left. For example, why do we need old people? Die like you're supposed to so I have more elbow room. But I digress.

Sarcasmo said:
I think it boils down to the fact that there are 836 quintillion unwanted pets in America alone. Euthanasia sucks, but it's really the only way to escape the hole we've dug for ourselves by not having our animals neutered and being responsible caretakers in the first place.

It's like the whole hunting thing, in a roundabout way. We go out and kill all the herbivores, and then bitch when the carnivores die or wander into cities in search of food. Then we quit killing the herbivores, and the carnivore populations spiral out of control in response to the sudden explosion of food sources. Then we bitch that there are too many carnivores, and we go out and have to kill off all the excess ones to maintain the "balance"... Point is, we just can't stop fucking with things. And fucking things up.

People are stupid. It's just the way it is. What we should do is kill 60% of the human population, use their carcasses as food, and redisgn and redevelop the vast urban spaces we've just opened up to better care for those who are left. For example, why do we need old people? Die like you're supposed to so I have more elbow room. But I digress.

Were I not married I would take you in a manly fashion. :drool: