To kill or not to kill: Shelter Dogs : - (

Pandora said:
Yes, I plan on adopting a greyhound whenever we have the room for one. :hs:

Greyhounds are great dogs. Very gentle and docile. Unless theres a fuckin rabbit nearby:mad:
Theres a greyhound race track just south of here with an adoption program for retired race dogs, which is pretty cool since a race dogs career lasts only like 2-3 years, IIRC.

Thorn Bird said:
i think the word "whimper" just turned me on a little.

Whimper?

Whimper whimper whimper whimper whimper whimper whimper
whimper whimper whimper whimper whimper whimper whimper

Drool-Boy said:
Whimper?

you had me at whimper.

Drool-Boy said:
Greyhounds are great dogs. Very gentle and docile. Unless theres a fuckin rabbit nearby:mad:
Theres a greyhound race track just south of here with an adoption program for retired race dogs, which is pretty cool since a race dogs career lasts only like 2-3 years, IIRC.

They do seem like really sweet dogs. I just have to find one that likes cats..... I've wanted a big dog for awhile, but I don't want one that weighs more than me, is really high energy, messy, slobbery or high maintenance. :hs:

Pandora said:
They do seem like really sweet dogs. I just have to find one that likes cats..... I've wanted a big dog for awhile, but I don't want one that weighs more than me, is really high energy, messy, slobbery or high maintenance. :hs:
iirc, they require quite a bit of exercise. There is an old dude that lives near me, I'm always seeing him walking his greyhound. They are supposed to be awesome dogs.

So, I just recieved am email from the local Humane Society regarding the cold weather this weekend.

It states:

Due to the expected cold weather this coming weekend, we need to find foster homes for as many of our dogs as possible.

Our plan is for the dogs to be picked up from the shelter about 4:00 on Saturday to spend the night in foster homes. If possible, we'd like the dogs returned to the shelter for the 11:00 - 4:00 adoption hours on Sunday and then picked back up to be in a warm home Sunday night. The dogs can then be returned to the shelter Monday morning in time for the start of our adoption hours at 10:00.

On Saturday, we'll have prospective foster parents walk through the kennels and select the dog that will be best suited to their home. We'll place the dogs in homes on a "first-come, first-serve" basis and will provide food and any necessary medications for each dog.

If you are able to help by taking a dog into your home Saturday and Sunday night, please contact Denise Eberius at [email protected].

We appreciate all that you do for us and our animals and thank you especially for your help at times like these.

Jane Somers
Volunteer Coordinator
[email protected]
(727) 797-7722 ext. 230

I called Shawn to see if we could maybe do it. I think programs like these are so great, and I just called Shawn to see if it would be OK for just the weekend. This would make FOUR dogs inthe house for the weekend tho and I have to draw the line somewhere otherwise I'll be living ALONE like the lady who runs the shelter I mentioned in my first post.

Anyhow, the reason for this post was for any of you locals that can take a dog for the weekekdn, the Humane Society would greatly appreciate it. All the facilities are outside unless they are for cats. Shawn said: "Ill call you back." and didn't sound to thrilled.

Ill keep you posted.

BTW: Thanks Fly: Willy is WONDERFUL! :heart:

Drool-Boy said:
In a back yard of reasonable size they should be ok

I don't have one of those tho. We have a teeeeny tiny backyard. Walks are fine tho, I enjoy taking them. :)

So yeah, I wanna greyhound. I can't believe that they use to be killed after their racing career was over. Some countries still do that too. Humans are terrible creatures. :(

Pandora said:
I don't have one of those tho. We have a teeeeny tiny backyard. Walks are fine tho, I enjoy taking them. :)

So yeah, I wanna greyhound. I can't believe that they use to be killed after their racing career was over. Some countries still do that too. Humans are terrible creatures. :(

wtf I thought you guys were in a house?

Candy said:
So, I just recieved am email from the local Humane Society regarding the cold weather this weekend.

It states:

Dear Candy,

We know youre a fuckin sucker. Please help us. Please.

*tugs at heartstrings*

PS. Don't worry about what your wife says.
lol

ugh... SchmilK and I went to our local Save a Pet, where we got our 2 most recent kitties. I wanted to visit the doggies.

It was so sad, out of a bad horror movie. It was cold, dank, they had these tiny concrete cells, and just a pathetic existence. I wanted to take all of them home just so they didn't have to be sad anymore.

Ideally, one day we're going to buy a farm and adopt a bunch of animals. Breaks my heart, really :(

zengirl said:
ugh... SchmilK and I went to our local Save a Pet, where we got our 2 most recent kitties. I wanted to visit the doggies.

It was so sad, out of a bad horror movie. It was cold, dank, they had these tiny concrete cells, and just a pathetic existence. I wanted to take all of them home just so they didn't have to be sad anymore.

Ideally, one day we're going to buy a farm and adopt a bunch of animals. Breaks my heart, really :(

I live to one day open a shelter. It really is a sad, sad, place. The documentary shelter really made an effort to brighten up the walls, give them lots of bedding, and old furniture. Not to shabby for a shelter I guess. The woman who ownes it is a friggin' saint.