To fix, or not to fix.

Bubbles

Flaccid Member
May 24, 2005
i cannot divulge this informatin
Marklar
₥0
Have you ever tried to do something nice for someone just to have it backfire, and then the backfire continues to flare up in your face?

My ex's grandmother gave him a very nice Citizen watch with all kind of crazy functions. She is an extremely important person in his life and the watch is engraved, making it even more sentimental. His birthday was in August and I took the watch to my dad (a licensed jeweler for over 13 years) to have the scratched crystal replaced and have the movement cleaned. My ex was the type who NEVER takes off his watch and the damn thing was literally held together by years of dirt. My dad worked very hard to make it perfect for me and it was...for a while. Two weeks ago, the waterproof watch filled with water and, while it was still keeping time, all the digital fuctions were gone. I took it back to my dad and he found that a gasket from one of the buttons was stripped and the button had fallen out. Now, to replace the movement is going to cost ~$150 and my ex is saying don't bother because it will never be the same again and it has been screwed up since the first time I took it to my dad and just get the watch back so he can keep it in a jewelry box and :blah:....generally making me feel really bad.

Sorry for the long story, but it was necessary to get to my question:

Should I go ahead and get the new movement put in the watch? I feel so bad about this and I really want to make it right, but I'm also scared something else will go wrong. And I will be on a payment plan with my dad just to pay the $150.....what do you guys think?

If he was your b/f yes. Ex, no. You shouldnt even be getting him gifts, unless you're best friends or something. Although it doesnt sound like it or he would've been more charitable when it broke. He said dont bother after all.

FlamingGlory said:
If he was your b/f yes. Ex, no. You shouldnt even be getting him gifts, unless you're best friends or something. Although it doesnt sound like it or he would've been more charitable when it broke.

Well we were together when all this started, that's really where my dilema starts.....and we are still friends, because we have the same group of friends.

Drool-Boy said:
Id get it fixed just so I wouldnt have to hear the person gripe about it anymore, but thats just me.

But if it breaks again, will he just continue to blame bubbles until she feels guilty enough to fix it again and again?

Bubbles said:
Well we were together when all this started, that's really where my dilema starts.....and we are still friends, because we have the same group of friends.
If it would make you feel better to spend $150 and get his watch fixed then do it. Think about number one here. If you really dont care one way or the other dont bother. Maybe have a nice big argument.

By friend though I meant like someone you hang out with alot, do social things with etc. Sounds much more casual.

kiwi said:
But if it breaks again, will he just continue to blame bubbles until she feels guilty enough to fix it again and again?

After the 3rd fix the lemon law kicks in and you can legally tell the person to fuck off about the goddamn watch.

I think the worst part is that he's silently blaming my Dad. My Dad put so much work into this and charged me next to nothingl....my dad kept saying how difficult it was because everytime he cleaned one piece, another would fall apart. The band separated, the bezel seperated...like I said, the watch was held together with dirt and my ex doesn't understand that.

edit: I guess I should just fix the damn thing to prove him wrong about my dad

Last edited:
Bubbles said:
edit: I guess I should just fix the damn thing to prove him wrong about my dad

I think you should say "Here's your shitty watch back. We don't need your validation."

I don't know the whole history between your ex and you - but QUIT letting him walk all over you !!!!

I agree with Sacrasmo - his watch hadn't been cleaned in years this proves he didn't care that much about it. He's playing you.