[Article] This is your MMS thread now! New rule: Only post your own content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unknown. Curious - was your car parked on their driveway or near the house, were you allowed to come back and get any of your stuff? My oldest son ended up sleeping in his car a number of times because he wasn't believing my 11 pm curfew. No key to front door, keyless entry shut off at 11 - I wired in a switch for the garage door opener.
no, I was expected to leave the property. I was good and well kicked out. I could take what I could collect as he kicked me out, and I was to be grateful he didnt kick my ass & that he was letting me take the car (but I now owed him $2k for it, which is fine, but adds to the initially intended permanence/kicked out-edness vs. just go sleep somewhere else so we can cool down)

I can't say I remember what the actual "backtalk" was, but I frequently got in trouble for my tone (as opposed to something like telling them to go fuck themselves, which I wouldn't do as punishment was often physical). while my tone did frequently veer toward having a 'tude, which I'll totally cop to, it was also used as a reason to punish me for the content of my words; they SAID I could say whatever so long as I said it politely, but in practice they'd either accuse me of having an attitude where one did not exist, or intentionally goad me into an argument until I did get an attitude and punish for it. every conversation was a minefield. children are to be seen and not heard, and shouldn't speak unless spoken to, etc.

adults loved me when I was a kid, and I used to be proud of that, but I realize now it's because they terrorized me into being nothing. I recognize it when I get agitated with my nieces for just, like, being kids.

Parents are assholes. I know I am sometimes. I've had times where I had to apologize to my 4 year old for being a dick. Can't imagine kicking a minor out of the house though. My dad aimed a long rifle at me, a minor, once and told me to leave. Can't say I trust him at all. I slept in the woods. Didn't have a car or anything.

I can't say I remember what the actual "backtalk" was, but I frequently got in trouble for my tone (as opposed to something like telling them to go fuck themselves, which I wouldn't do as punishment was often physical). while my tone did frequently veer toward having a 'tude, which I'll totally cop to, it was also used as a reason to punish me for the content of my words; they SAID I could say whatever so long as I said it politely, but in practice they'd either accuse me of having an attitude where one did not exist, or intentionally goad me into an argument until I did get an attitude and punish for it. every conversation was a minefield. children are to be seen and not heard, and shouldn't speak unless spoken to, etc.

adults loved me when I was a kid, and I used to be proud of that, but I realize now it's because they terrorized me into being nothing. I recognize it when I get agitated with my nieces for just, like, being kids.

i've learned to accept that my parents ways are likely a result of their parents ways. Cant change my parents, but i can be mindful that I don't act the same way. It pisses me off when i see myself doing it though,

• Gravy
  • Love
Reactions: OOD and wetwillie
Parents are assholes. I know I am sometimes. I've had times where I had to apologize to my 4 year old for being a dick. Can't imagine kicking a minor out of the house though. My dad aimed a long rifle at me, a minor, once and told me to leave. Can't say I trust him at all. I slept in the woods. Didn't have a car or anything.
I think (relatively) normal people with (relatively) normal parents don't get it sometimes bc they cant fathom a parent acting that way unless they're some hench ass villain in media

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
i've learned to accept that my parents ways are likely a result of their parents ways. Cant change my parents, but i can be mindful that I don't act the same way. It pisses me off when i see myself doing it though,
yeah that's the big thing - I swore up and down I'd be better, and then I catch myself thinking in ways that prove I'm not. but, like you said, I'm trying to be mindful of it & notice it. and I talk with Jason about it and my parents and my baggage and wo he's a good resource & sounding board

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
yeah that's the big thing - I swore up and down I'd be better, and then I catch myself thinking in ways that prove I'm not. but, like you said, I'm trying to be mindful of it & notice it. and I talk with Jason about it and my parents and my baggage and wo he's a good resource & sounding board

the biggest difference for me is actually talking to my kid about it and apologizing to him. best way to break the cycle.

also I gave up and told her I just got internet because she was stressing me out with the constantly asking "oh. are you out? can I call? " every time I posted or commented anything
and
immediately, she is arguing with me because she is giving unsolicited advice

today, it's tax advice about having sold the house - she asked if we made improvements (we had - added a washer/dryer and hook ups for it, and updated the stairs), but all improvements were done by my FIL who did not charge us at all for parts or labor; she is insisting that I can and should have her friend in FL write up a fake bill for parta and services they did not provide and refusing to accept that I'm not going to do that
20190822_133329.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: wetwillie
I'm not saying we couldn't get whatever benefit she is talking about, but there is no way in hell faking anything is the appropriate or legal course of action on it

the biggest difference for me is actually talking to my kid about it and apologizing to him. best way to break the cycle.
This.
Breaking the cycle
Its a thing
For our family breaking cycle was to stop beating the fuck out of the kids. Dad beat me so bad one time they had to keep me in the house for 2 months of the summer - my back looked a slavemaster whipped me. But it was to be expected considering my grandfather regaled me with how he had hit my dad in the head with a rock and knocked him out. For refusing to dig potatoes.:egads:

This is it right here. Saying "I was wrong" and explaining why helps kids in a couple of ways. They learn how to step back from their own asshole tendencies and they learn when somebody else needs to step back. I had to teach myself that the hard way, by fucking up relationships with friends until I figured out why it was happening.

This.

For our family breaking cycle was to stop beating the fuck out of the kids. Dad beat me so bad one time they had to keep me in the house for 2 months of the summer - my back looked a slavemaster whipped me. But it was to be expected considering my grandfather regaled me with how he had hit my dad in the head with a rock and knocked him out. For refusing to dig potatoes.:egads:
Yeah breaking the cycle is going to be different for everyone. For all I know my parents did alright compared to what they came up with. I know my mom did. Dad probably did too. I've heard stories about granddaddy from non relatives. Never met the guy.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Yeah, she is fucked up. I could see you creating a fake bill if you wanted too, but it's incredible that a parent would SUGGEST that shit. And her commentary about talking to gramma and grandpa - sheesh. Sorry you have to deal with that.
I mean, they suck and I've cut them out, so I think she is going for commiseration, but she's definitely bitching about it and then just going NOT afterwards

Status
Not open for further replies.