[Article] This is your MMS thread now! New rule: Only post your own content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it's kind of annoying that the intake and exhaust pipes for the on-demand hot water heater are kind of low to the ground. Buts it's in the basement and those pipes are going through the sill. So only so much you can do. I was initially worried about snow drifts covering those pipes when I first moved into the house. But they face south and most of the snow storms blow from the north or NW so there aren't drifts right there by the pipes thankfully. I still keep an eye on it during heavy storms.
There is something you can do(99% of them go through a sill when a basement is involved). Cut off outside, an elbow goes on(facing up, duh) then 1-2' of pipe, then a 180 so the opening faces down. Pipe gets strapped to the wall - your choice :) And be sure to have a piece of 1/4" screen in it. My furnace wouldn't start one time and I found 5-6 sparrows in the heat chamber, out of the way of the flames. Totally dried, light as popcorn. I figure they crawled in, then were mesmerized by the fire. Poor little feckers. The sparrows weren't the issue but they could have been.

Last edited:
I had the seller pump the septic tank before I bought the house, after having the whole system inspected. Seller was like "we're supposed to pump the tanks???" Oy vey. Tank lid is buried quite deep. I should get a concrete lid extension so it's easier to dig out. Seller buried a 5 gal bucket on top of the lid so it's easier to find.
Ask your pumper if they think there is a secondary tank. Lot of them made in last 20+ years have a main tank and then a secondary of only a few hundred gallons that is part of main unit but has seperate lid. I cut 2" styro after last time I had to dig down to the lids(I get mine pumped every 4-ish years) and stacked the styro until I was about 8" from the surface. The grass grows "ok" there.

Last edited:
There is something you can do(99% of them go through a sill when a basement is involved). Cut off outside, an elbow goes on(facing up, duh) then 1-2' of pipe, then a 180 so the opening faces down. Pipe gets strapped to the wall - your choice :) And be sure to have a piece of 1/4" screen in it. My furnace wouldn't start one time and I found 5-6 sparrows in the heat chamber, out of the way of the flames. Totally dried, light as popcorn. I figure they crawled in, then were mesmerized by the fire. Poor little feckers. The sparrows weren't the issue but they could have been.
Naw that'd look like crap having those extra pipes on the house. It's fine the way it is now.

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
Ask your pumper if they think there is a secondary tank. Lot of them made in last 20+ years have a main tank and then a secondary of only a few hundred gallons that is part of main unit but has seperate lid. I cut 2" styro after last time I had to dig down to the lids(I get mine pumped every 4-ish years) and stacked the styro until I was about 8" from the surface. The grass grows "ok" there.
There isn't. System is only 500gal design. My basement bedroom and quarter bathroom is technically illegal since it's over designed capacity. Should be 1000gal tank and larger leech field to handle it.

• Gravy
There isn't. System is only 500gal design. My basement bedroom and quarter bathroom is technically illegal since it's over designed capacity. Should be 1000gal tank and larger leech field to handle it.
Damn, that IS tiny. We have 1500 gal and 300 overflow/secondary. Although, 5 br, 3.5 baths . . . . they built for a LOT of shit.

Naw that'd look like crap having those extra pipes on the house. It's fine the way it is now.
It is a bit fugly - a bit like world's shortest electrical service mast.,:lol: You have a real deep and drifting snow you'll probably think to peek out. *You don't have to go that high, it was just a thought. In Alaska you'd probably just run that shit to the roof and be done. :lol:

It is a bit fugly - a bit like world's shortest electrical service mast.,:lol: You have a real deep and drifting snow you'll probably think to peek out. *You don't have to go that high, it was just a thought. In Alaska you'd probably just run that shit to the roof and be done. :lol:
It's also under my kitchen sink window. Don't need fumes coming back into the house on nice days.

• Gravy
It's also under my kitchen sink window. Don't need fumes coming back into the house on nice days.
Got ya - our's (furnace and water heater) are under a family room window. Fortunately, we have little desire to open that window and my house probably sits 1-1.5 higher off the ground so it isn't too bad. Always something.

210425700IMG20210425155316922.jpg

my rapid test was negative
but i just don’t trust these things :(

i had one at the clinic earlier today and have another appointment tomorrow at the hospital
I’m super paranoid cuz i’m the only one that can visit my grandpa in the ICU and this shit needs to be negative for realzzzz

my throat , ears are sore
i have a headache
feel yuckzzz

• Gravy
  • Sad
Reactions: Josh and wetwillie
Believe it or not there are bacteria that actually enjoy eating shit. You can dump them in your septic system in concentrated amounts.

Never understood "pumping out" a septic tank. A septic system, done right, doesn't need "pumping out". It's a whole biological system that takes care of itself given good stewardship.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
At least until you got pompous women and light in the loafers men throwing weird stuff down there.

I heartell they once dragged a clog of wet wipes out of one that was the size of a city bus.

Hubris. Egoism. Think your shit don't stinkism run amok.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
I have 3 pear trees. 2 years ago I got like 6 grocery bags of pears. Gave some away, threw the rest out. Even the deer didn't like them. Didn't have really any pears last year, I think due to drought.
People in high deer areas often plant pears because deer and bunnies are very unlikely to eat the bark or fruit, while destroying apples. My pears are those fancy Asian pears they sell one at a time in the grocery store. Not as big but damn good. If I got zapped by the frost this will be the 3rd fruitless year in a row. PIss! Global warming - it sucks.
Drought - double sucks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.