[Article] This is your MMS thread now! New rule: Only post your own content

Status
Not open for further replies.
fart GIF

It's amazing how many people don't know how shit tubes work. Get beyond their own lawn and view the greater system as a hole and it's even amazinger.

It's amazing how many people don't know how shit tubes work. Get beyond their own lawn and view the greater system as a hole and it's even amazinger.
30 years of septic living here. On the subject of frozen septic lines . .. I watched my neighbor dig about a 2' deep trench to his pole barn. Ah, he's running sewer, badly. 2-3 years later that shallow pipe apparently froze and the freezing bridged and plugged onward to the T he put in the exit line from the house. From what I hear 3rd hand the pipes running to the exit got too heavy and that PVC shit ripped loose and all over the highly finished basement. They didn't discover this immediately. Eventually they smelled shit and knew it wasn't the cat. :)

I'll take plumbing for $100 Alex.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Josh and HipHugHer
30 years of septic living here. On the subject of frozen septic lines . .. I watched my neighbor dig about a 2' deep trench to his pole barn. Ah, he's running sewer, badly. 2-3 years later that shallow pipe apparently froze and the freezing bridged and plugged onward to the T he put in the exit line from the house. From what I hear 3rd hand the pipes running to the exit got too heavy and that PVC shit ripped loose and all over the highly finished basement. They didn't discover this immediately. Eventually they smelled shit and knew it wasn't the cat. :)

I'll take plumbing for $100 Alex.
What's a frost line for $1000 Alex.

Around here for city services at least the water line coming in is a foot down and the sewer starts at 18" and angles down to the connection at the street...if your house is something close to street level anyway.
There are no basements they rip you off of an entire floor of space.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
What's a frost line for $1000 Alex.

Around here for city services at least the water line coming in is a foot down and the sewer starts at 18" and angles down to the connection at the street...if your house is something close to street level anyway.
There are no basements they rip you off of an entire floor of space.
Freeze line, frost line, frost law - it all become a frozen blur. Yeah, we should all live n the south. No basements? I understand it in Florida but not in Texas. What a rip!

*I knew it was Josh's house and he definitely has cool considerations like frost line in his life. Plus the pair of pipes was a dead give away. Many areas (here) would insist the those pipes be elevated 2-3' above the the potential snow height(let's call it a line :) ) with a margin for drits. U at top so rain doesn't go in, screen against birds and bees. Inlet & exhaust pressure switches don't let those unit come on if either pipe is at all restricted. Yeah, mansplained it. It was good for me but now I need to wipe.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: Josh and HipHugHer
Freeze line, frost line, frost law - it all become a frozen blur. Yeah, we should all live n the south. No basements? I understand it in Florida but not in Texas. What a rip!

*I knew it was Josh's house and he definitely has cool considerations like frost line in his life. Plus the pair of pipes was a dead give away. Many areas (here) would insist the those pipes be elevated 2-3' above the the potential snow height(let's call it a line :) ) with a margin for drits. U at top so rain doesn't go in, screen against birds and bees. Inlet & exhaust pressure switches don't let those unit come on if either pipe is at all restricted. Yeah, mansplained it. It was good for me but now I need to wipe.
Yeah it's kind of annoying that the intake and exhaust pipes for the on-demand hot water heater are kind of low to the ground. Buts it's in the basement and those pipes are going through the sill. So only so much you can do. I was initially worried about snow drifts covering those pipes when I first moved into the house. But they face south and most of the snow storms blow from the north or NW so there aren't drifts right there by the pipes thankfully. I still keep an eye on it during heavy storms.

I had the seller pump the septic tank before I bought the house, after having the whole system inspected. Seller was like "we're supposed to pump the tanks???" Oy vey. Tank lid is buried quite deep. I should get a concrete lid extension so it's easier to dig out. Seller buried a 5 gal bucket on top of the lid so it's easier to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.