[Article] This is your MMS thread now! New rule: Only post your own content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely not true. There are essentially zero cases of outdoor transmission. While there are (literally) a *couple* of cases, out of 120M infections, that's zero.
Just don't talk directly to someone's face while close to them and outdoors is fine.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Just don't talk directly to someone's face while close to them and outdoors is fine.
@Domon and I have already had this conversation at least once.

@Domon If you really think outdoor transmission is a problem, please forward me what you're reading. I'd honestly like to see it. Everything I've read says it is not an issue.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
Absolutely not true. There are essentially zero cases of outdoor transmission. While there are (literally) a *couple* of cases, out of 120M infections, that's zero.
  • Keep Distance at Events and Gatherings: It is safest to avoid crowded places and gatherings where it may be difficult to stay at least 6 feet away from others who are not from your household. If you are in a crowded space, try to keep 6 feet of space between yourself and others at all times, and wear a mask. Masks are especially important in times when physical distancing is difficult. Pay attention to any physical guides, such as tape markings on floors or signs on walls, directing attendees to remain at least 6 feet apart from each other in lines or at other times. Allow other people 6 feet of space when you pass by them in both indoor and outdoor settings.
  • Stay Distanced While Being Active: Consider going for a walk, bike ride, or wheelchair roll in your neighborhood or in another safe location where you can maintain at least 6 feet of distance between yourself and other pedestrians and cyclists. If you decide to visit a nearby park, trail, or recreational facility, first check for closures or restrictions. If open, consider how many other people might be there and choose a location where it will be possible to keep at least 6 feet of space between yourself and other people who are not from your household.

Citation: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/social-distancing.html

• Keep Distance at Events and Gatherings: It is safest to avoid crowded places and gatherings where it may be difficult to stay at least 6 feet away from others who are not from your household. If you are in a crowded space, try to keep 6 feet of space between yourself and others at all times, and wear a mask. Masks are especially important in times when physical distancing is difficult. Pay attention to any physical guides, such as tape markings on floors or signs on walls, directing attendees to remain at least 6 feet apart from each other in lines or at other times. Allow other people 6 feet of space when you pass by them in both indoor and outdoor settings.
  • Stay Distanced While Being Active: Consider going for a walk, bike ride, or wheelchair roll in your neighborhood or in another safe location where you can maintain at least 6 feet of distance between yourself and other pedestrians and cyclists. If you decide to visit a nearby park, trail, or recreational facility, first check for closures or restrictions. If open, consider how many other people might be there and choose a location where it will be possible to keep at least 6 feet of space between yourself and other people who are not from your household.

Citation: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/social-distancing.html
I'm aware of the recommendations, but they simply aren't backed up by current science. This is not the fault of the CDC, its that they have to take the most restrictive recommendations until enough data comes in (whatever that number happens to be). It was the same with masks at first. They didn't recommend them simply because they didn't have enough data to suggest they work. Same with past infection immunity and so on.

However, research paper after research paper after research paper suggests that the basics are 15 minutes of close contact in a small space.

And then you have the mountain of evidence from contract tracing in countries that are doing a REALLY good job at it. They are finding very near zero cases of outdoor transmission. It's just not happening. The aerosols disperse too quickly for you to get an infective dose of the virus.

So, I know you mentioned that you guys wear them when you're out hiking. If it makes you feel better, then totally do it! But it really doesn't matter. And it certainly doesn't matter when you get within 6 feet for 10 seconds to take a picture...

I'm aware of the recommendations, but they simply aren't backed up by current science. This is not the fault of the CDC, its that they have to take the most restrictive recommendations until enough data comes in (whatever that number happens to be). It was the same with masks at first. They didn't recommend them simply because they didn't have enough data to suggest they work. Same with past infection immunity and so on.

However, research paper after research paper after research paper suggests that the basics are 15 minutes of close contact in a small space.

And then you have the mountain of evidence from contract tracing in countries that are doing a REALLY good job at it. They are finding very near zero cases of outdoor transmission. It's just not happening. The aerosols disperse too quickly for you to get an infective dose of the virus.

So, I know you mentioned that you guys wear them when you're out hiking. If it makes you feel better, then totally do it! But it really doesn't matter. And it certainly doesn't matter when you get within 6 feet for 10 seconds to take a picture...
citations please.

I don't like the way they fog my glasses up, and dry my eyes out.

That just means your mask is ill fitting, if its exhausting upwards its not filtering through the mask.

I get that, most masks fit very poorly. I cant use any commercial masks ive found, peanut had to custom fit all mine cause my giant shnoz, and theyve been awesome.

That just means your mask is ill fitting, if its exhausting upwards its not filtering through the mask.

I get that, most masks fit very poorly. I cant use any commercial masks ive found, peanut had to custom fit all mine cause my giant shnoz, and theyve been awesome.
Yep, my beard makes them all worthless, and I'm not going through the effort of custom fitting jack shit.

citations please.

outdoor environment presents a low risk of transmission of COVID-19

It includes some caveats, but the C&P was terrible, so that's all you get.

That one includes a lot of the data I've seen, and includes some new stuff, like protests. It seems smashing yourselves together and screaming isn't the best idea. However, standing near someone for 10 seconds wasn't on the list. :p

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer

It includes some caveats, but the C&P was terrible, so that's all you get.

That one includes a lot of the data I've seen, and includes some new stuff, like protests. It seems smashing yourselves together and screaming isn't the best idea. However, standing near someone for 10 seconds wasn't on the list. :p

Thanks.

To be honest, thats a relatively weak summary article, but i havent read all the sources yet. The statement "or being within one metre of an infected person for more than one minute without face-to-face contact." does jump out though which was a basis for the data gathering in many of the sub-sources.

Thanks.

To be honest, thats a relatively weak summary article, but i havent read all the sources yet. The statement "or being within one metre of an infected person for more than one minute without face-to-face contact." does jump out though which was a basis for the data gathering in many of the sub-sources.
:heart: Of course as soon as you leave your house, you're at a non-zero risk of contacting COVID. But its pretty fukn rare to get it outside.

The good news is that rate falls to essentially zero two weeks after your first dose of any of the vaccines.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
Status
Not open for further replies.